Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Fan Town' started by Enzel, Aug 23, 2015.

1. dragon

dragon megatron apologist

anyone on zodiark? ^^ especially anyone interested in rp. i'd love to get into ffxiv rp but i can't find an fc for it on zodiark, rip

• Like x 1
  2. rje

rje here comes the sun

AAAAAAAAAAA

3. rje

rje here comes the sun

Some thoughts:
    • Dark Knight gets to be the poster class for this expansion looks like, which apparently is coming with a rehaul of the class (good) and I HOPE a continuation/expansion of the 30-60 DK storyline (better) -- how COOL would it be for that to play into the main storyline?
    • Are we becoming too infused with Light? Are we on our way to the same fate the original WoD faced? Are we fighting fucking Hydelan there??
    • Speaking of, someone on Yoshi P's team has a dominitrix fetish confirmed
    • Time travel shenanigans??!! AU Thancred? (Who remains super hot, as always)
    • GUNBLADE
    • GUNBLADE
    • MFIN GUNBLADE CLASS
    • Derplander becomes Daddylander :3c And the class switching during the fight was AWESOME
    • BLUE MAGE A'COMIN'

4. Mercury

Mercury Well-Known Member

I don't think we're fighting Hydaelyn - or at least don't see evidence of it in the trailer. The Kuribu is a Light entity, but we don't have any information that they're tied to the Mother Crystal specifically. They do seem to have some relation to Amdapor, since we fight a statue of one in Amdapor HM, but what bearing that has on anything is a mystery.

Regardless, I am EXCITED. Even with the shakeup that is the server reshuffling and the wtf that BLU has ended up being.

• Agree x 1
  5. Xavius

Xavius Suit Monkey

I'm still hopeful for BLU. I think it'll be something good to do when I feel like making progress on something and not being especially social to do it, which is ordinarily a requirement with Duty Finder.

• Agree x 1
  6. Mercury

Yeah, that's definitely an upside. I'm looking forward to the Trust system for the same reason - sometimes I want to do a thing but I really don't want to do it with people.

• Agree x 1
  7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I just downloaded the free trial for this and.... anything essential I should know before diving straight in like a guy who hasn't played an mmo in over a decade?

8. Mercury

The game starts off very slow and hand-holdy; since MMOs are not a big genre in Japan, it assumes you've never played one before. You might feel a little impatient with the tip windows pop up at first because it's pretty obvious stuff to people who are familiar with games, but they really are useful; make sure to at least skim them.

The GCD is long at 2.5 seconds, which is s l o w at the start of the game. It gets faster as you learn more skills.

Race doesn't matter; choose whatever you like. Your starting city is determined by what class you pick. You can be every class in the game on a single character, so if you don't like what you chose, get to level 10 and do your level 5 and 10 class quests, and then you can freely pick up other classes as you chose. This includes gathering and crafting professions.

On that note: a class's role is a set thing. Gladiator/Paladin and Marauder/Warrior are always tanks; Conjurer/White Mage is always a healer, the others are always DPS... except for arcanist, which can split off into two different jobs at level 30.

You HAVE to do the storyline (quests denoted by that meteor icon). Everything is gated behind it, and they have to be done on a combat class. You mostly don't have to do sidequests to level, but do pick up the sidequests that have the blue-purple background and a + sign - they always unlock something (sometimes dungeons, sometimes systems like dyes and the barber).

When you get to the point you have to do group content, the game has a Duty Finder system that will automatically match you up with other players.

The game will automatically try to put you on a preferred server, which gets you double experience for all sources of experience. If you choose a preferred server you will be vastly overleveled very quickly - whether this is good or bad depends on the person! Dungeons will automatically sync you down to the proper level range, but open world questing will be much more trivial. There's a list of servers and which ones are preferred here.

Most of us here seem to play on the NA Aether data center. Ping is not great from Europe, but it's still quite playable. If you want a playing buddy or few from here, hit us up!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    • Useful x 2
  9. Mercury

(also pls feel free to ask questions, this game has a lot of stuff but I don't want to be OVERWHELMING with the infodumping)

10. Enzel

Enzel androgynous jrpg protag

worth keeping in mind that they're rearranging the servers/adding a new Data Center in about 4-5 months

This is the new arrangement:
    datacenters.png

(yes, Aether is misspelled, it was meme'd about)

So if you do want to play with anyone in particular, you'll want to be on a server in the same Data Center as them. I think EU servers are also getting shuffled a bit too. SE did say they'd be offering free server transfers to people affected by the moves, at least.

Otherwise I think Mercury covered most of it.

• Useful x 1
  11. Mercury

BY THE WAY, if you end up liking the game enough to buy it, let us know so one of us can give you a refer-a-friend code. If you enter that in while your your free 30 days of sub (you get a month of sub free when you buy the game) you get some nice goodies.

12. Mercury

It's the Starlight festival until the 31st! Once you get to level 15 and can access Gridania (if you didn't start there) you can do the quests. It's not terribly long, you get some glamour items, and there's a fun, repeatable minigame involved.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  13. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

just making sure i don't lose it to discord scroll, and for people who aren't in the discord. this came out of thinking at work how there were three basic types of lalafell: precious cinnamon roll, horny on main, and evil capitalist asshole.

lalafell alignments.png

• Winner x 2
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I gave in (the whole gathering/crafting thing got the better of me tbh) so i've bought it. if there's a referral code out there it would be appreciated!

(Provided the PS4 licensing system ceases to be Extra Fucky. Not loving that.)

15. michinyo

michinyo On that Dumb Bitch Juice diet

ONE MORE WEEK TILL SHADOWBRINGERS AAAAAHHHHH

16. Mercury

The wait is killing me

I was pretty excited for SB b/c I'd gotten into the game only three months before and fell completely in love with it and NEW EXPANSION but I'm so much more hyped for ShB. @_@ I know the first day of early access is probably going to be all huge queues and stuff breaking but...! SO EXCITE.

Is there anything you're most excited for? :D

17. michinyo

I did see that we'll be in maintenance all day the 27th which SOB

I reeeaallly wanna fight Titania, and I'm excited for Viera~~
    I wanna at least try out dancer, but I'm not sure it's for me. I'm rather attached to my magical aesthetic that is WHM

Oh, I play on Diabolos!

18. Mercury

Heck yes, another WHM main! Although I'm kinda eh about the healer changes so I'm going to focus on other jobs for a while, esp. since my main is supposed to be a DRK in his personal canon but I keep ending up not tanking anything because my FC is almost wall to wall tanks. >_>; I'm also going to try out dancer because I really like support classes and I really like dancing.

Viera look so neat! I really like how restrained and elegant their emotes are, and they have one of the best run cycles if the preview video is anything to go by. I'm going to swap one of my alts to one, even though I don't usually play female characters. Will you be fantasiaing?

I'm on Cactuar and Faerie, and I think Enzel and Aki are primarily on Aether, too. How's Crystal doing? I don't trust the word of the randoms who are all doom and gloom and get weirded out by ~roleplay~.

19. michinyo

I used to be a BRD main since I love music, but I got stuck post stormblood cause of duty times. With my new chara I decided to try a healing class and I fell in love. Still wanna see if I like AST more though, cause I wanna believe in the heart of the cards LOL

My FC is pretty cool, and they have a big focus on gathering and crafting along with everything else. A lot of them multiclass too, so it makes it easy to get help with leveling a lot. (I have all my classes to at least 50 so far, I need to continue leveling them)

I have a fantasia I've been saving, but I'm not sure if I wanna use it on my WHM. I have her look like me since my boyfriend's chara looks like himself. Might make an alt to have as a Viera to play with for fun tbh.

I don't rp myself in game, but I've met many who do. People seem really nice here for the most part, you get assholes like usual. Latest asshole issue I've been dealing with is people during hunt trains purposely pulling early.

• Like x 1
  20. Mercury

Some things never change... I've heard early pulls on hunts have been a bigger than normal problem on Aether since the split too :')

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice