Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Imoyram

Imoyram Well-Known Member

@Emma Yeah thats what i was thinking, they just looked like chips *heh*

2. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@Pascaline I live in the East Coast (albeit the southern part) , and I've never actually heard them called butterfly fries. That's a neat name, though.

And yeah, they're basically like one long string of raw fries, but the whole ribbon deal makes topping them way more fun than almost any other kind imo.

3. Pascaline

Pascaline Member

• Like x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

question for kintsugijin: how do you, personally, cut an avocado? fuckingrecipes just reblogged a video on how to cut them correctly and i'm completely mystified. people cut avocados differently than the video? how would you? one person even comments they frequently see injuries from doing it wrong.

i tried googling it but it only brings up guides on how i already know how to do it. discuss?

• Like x 1
  5. Aviari

Aviari PartyWolf Is In The House Tonight

On occasion I've moved the knife rather than the avocado but that's the way I do it? And then scoop the guts out with a spoon.

6. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i suspect people actually HOLD the avocado, with the knife perpendicular to their hand, rather than holding the TOP of the avocado, with the knife parallel.

7. Wiwaxia

Wiwaxia problematic taxon

I cut wedges off the pit with the skin on and then peel it off each wedge, because fuck that goop bullshit.

8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

That video absolutely baffles me, because I have never in my life cut an avocado like that. I do the cutting in half and taking the pit out, but then I take the avocado, flesh part up, and score it in a tic-tac-toe pattern. Then you squeeze the rind and it comes right out. You get perfect sushi chunks and they go well on a sandwich. And it's way easier to mash it into guacamole that way. I will occasionally be lazy and hold it in my hand to do that so I don't have to wash a cutting board, but a) I know that's not super safe and b) you don't have to cut that hard to do it. I've never cut myself and I eat avocado minimum once a week.

Eta: Oh yes, I do also make the initial cut with the avocado perpendicular to the surface. Parallel cutting anything ends in tears for me.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    • Like x 2
  9. Aviari

See that's how I do MANGOS

10. IndigoRiffRaff

IndigoRiffRaff FACE GOD AND WALK BACKWARDS INTO HELL

I hold it in my hand, quarter it with a paring knife, and just use my hands to take the pit out and peel off. (which I think is what @Wiwaxia is describing? I'm currently really bad at translating words into visual so I'm not sure)
    Edit: so the video finally loaded and wtf how is that an even remotely safe method?????

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  11. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

i also do the tic-tac-toe pattern, fwiw

12. SpruceZeus

SpruceZeus 2 spoopy 2 live, 2 creppy 2 die

i have decided to accept that it is likely that i will never feel like actually playing undertale myself, and instead read an lp

which i shall do so with gusto

anyway the story and characters are the real appeal to my understanding

so i don't think i will be missing out on too much

13. WithAnH

WithAnH Space nerd

I started describing this ridiculous Galactic Rim idea (the Star Wars/Pacific Rim AU I'm babbling on about in the crossover thread) to my friend and he's enabling me. I swear to god I am not writing this fic. I am just...discussing it...and maybe making a few sketches...

• Like x 1
  14. SpruceZeus

SpruceZeus 2 spoopy 2 live, 2 creppy 2 die

well i'm installing warframe now apparently

may god have mercy on my soul

15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

So I was just thinking about early-2000s furries, and I remember a furry friend of mine saying at the time that a furry parade should absolutely be called a furade. I know that fur mashups aren't really a thing nowadays (at least, I think they're not?), but I still like that idea.

• Like x 2
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

taramosalata = best condiment fite me

• Like x 1
  17. Aviari

Some elaboration is required before I am willing to commence ROUND 1: FITE! because I have never heard of that. What is it and what do you put it on?

18. blue

It's a mixture of salted/cured fish eggs, olive oil, lemon and bread/potatoes, and you typically put it on vegetables and breads. It's super good!

19. Aviari

The ingredients don't sound like they SHOULD make anything tasty, and yet I'm imagining salty-tangy deliciousness anyway? Like, I can imagine those tastes meshing well IDK.

20. blue

salty-tangy deliciousness is an accurate description.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice