Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

...I have literally never been scared of house centipedes, I dunno what y'all are talking about. They're cute little bugs! So many good legy :3

2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

On that note, Spiders have the Correct Number Of Legs, although only since I got a good chance to inspect an anatomically correct spider brooch, pill bugs (which live under the flower pots in y parent's backyard...) and silverfish do not.
    Don't think I 've seen a centipede yet.

3. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Small and fast is pretty much it. That's why people are sometimes scared of mice and things.

4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Silverfish are horrible. *shudders* I hate, hate, hate the little buggers.

• Agree x 5
  5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I quite like silverfish and isopods, but centipedes and millipedes are No. A millipede ran over my knuckles when I was pruning shrubs once and I swear I fuckin teleported to the other side of the garden.

• Witnessed x 2
  6. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I know why I'm terrified of anything with more four legs (pro tip: if a kid tells you they don't want to handle the big expensive African millipede at the bug museum, believe them) but I can't help with reasoning for anyone else.

• Witnessed x 5
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I think dog sized insects/arachnids would freak me out more than tiny ones tbh

• Agree x 5
  8. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Knowing what I saw of Ant Man, I think a dogsized Ant at least is the most adorable thign I have ever seen.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
  9. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

For me it's the number of legs + how they're arranged, all like flaring out from the body like that.

• Agree x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'm not bothered by other types of centipedes, it's just the house centipedes. And I think millipedes are kinda cool. But agh, house centipedes.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Centipedes freak me the fuck out. They're huge (for bugs) and they're fucking fast. Find one upstairs = the dance of a thousand muffled screams and fetching the vacuum cleaner.

I'll leave them alone in the basement, though. They hunt other bugs so I don't have to, and are probably even less pleased than I am about any chance encounters between us. I remember a humorous incident in which me and a centipede realized simultaneously how close together we'd accidentally gotten and both froze momentarily before making crazy mad dashes in opposite directions. I almost felt like apologizing for scaring it so bad, because it had way more realistic fears than I did about that. If I see one or have reason to suspect there may be one, I make sure to stomp around so it has plenty of time and warning to get out of my way. We're both happier that way.

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

spiders and centipedes have Too Many Legs, though my arachnophobia has gone away a lot.

• Agree x 1
  13. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

The fact that they're inside is a large part of what sets off the "nope!!!" in my brain. Things with too many legs that are outdoors are far less upsetting.

• Agree x 6
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Im kinda still nope about outside bugs but inside definitely sets off a THIS IS MY DOMAIN panic. No. Go to your own space or suffer my (brothers or moms) boot

• Agree x 4
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

• Informative x 6
  16. blue

blue hightown funk you up

Screen Shot 2017-09-09 at 12.03.26 AM.png
    hmmMmmMMM

Edit: Update: I showed this to my friend and she told me a sixth degree polynomial was definitely too many and I should calculate my reduced chi square error. I've been definitively out nerded

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@Saro That is the coolest thing! Thank you!

• Like x 1
  18. syntheme

syntheme Active Member

@blue I'm not sure about the best practices as far as statistics go but for something, well, periodic, I'd probably want to smooth out the curve with something taking advantage of the periodicity which means sines and cosines and possibly a Fourier transform.

• Agree x 1
  19. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I wish the Affini were real :(

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Agree x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice