Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Turns out there's like 3 types of glue at least in this doll head, poor doll
    I peeled the wig off after dealing with the top wefts, because a good centimetre of hair is just gunked up with some brownish stuff that might be glue or resin and a bitch to deal with. Rubbing alcohol does not help. White gas helps a very tiny little bit, but I might need to switch to an actual fabric tissue because the paper one just gets decimated while rubbing off the gunk molecule for molecule.
    (I just got the idea that it might be some sort of resin, google says to try fats and oils. Huh. Rn still soaking it in rubbing alcohol)
    The wefts I could deal with already comb well and are now twisted and wrapped up in tissue paper and out of the way until I've deal with the whole wig.
    One of the glues looks like hot glue, and the way it's applied I don't technically need to remove it, but I'm gonna to get to the lowest wefts. Here's hoping that hot water helps because I don't have a hair dryer. It appears I need to get one just to deal with doll hair and wigs, wtf.

Wish I could do this with my Vriska wig, but that one's too long. For that one I need a big huge stack of those bigass hair dresser hairclips...

• Like x 2
  2. winterykite

Switched to a cloth tissue. Further inquiry also yielded horn glue. The white gas didn't get all of it out, but enough to separate the wefts and strands. It did utterly obliterate the hotglue looking stuff, while I was soaking the wig to get rid of the brown gunk.
    Wig is now mostly de-glued, all combed (somewhat cut at the tips because some of the knots were too severe), all curled, and soaking in more fabric softener overnight so it can dry tomorrow and retain the curls.

• Winner x 6
  3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@winterykite I have no idea how safe it is for the hair, but for a recent project our prof had us using acetone to remove glue from ceramic.

4. winterykite

@budgie I would've gone for acetone had I not emptied the one bottle of nail polish remover that still contained acetone two years ago to clean a different doll xxD
    I'd have to check where to get acetone here, except off amazon, heh. (Rubbing alcohol/Propanol I procure from my dad who, due to his job, can get it for cheap (no, he doesn't get in trouble for it), and white gas i can get at the drugstore.)

The other problem is, as you've mentioned, that it can potentially wreck the doll hair. I ulled outenough strands during combing to test it, but from the way it reacts to the fabric softener, it's probably something that just gets melted.

5. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Zou can still get nailpolish remover with acetone, I have some. Just gotta look. the shop had had a tzpe with and a tzpe without acetone.

• Informative x 1
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Today I listened to a contemporary art conservator talking about her work. She speculated that part of the reason that people are so much more likely to touch contemporary art than conventional art is that they don't understand it, and at some level it's reflexive to try and understand things more by touching them. Dunno how accurate that is, but it seems believable enough.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 3
    • Useful x 1
  7. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

A really enjoyable phrase: "My feets is sleeps"

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
  8. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Me: I really need to sleep. Okay, relax, don't think about anything-
    Brain: medium chain triglycerides
    Me: right, so, sleep-
    Brain: Medium. Chain. Triglycerides.
    Me: slee-
    Brain: MedIUm CHaiN TRiGLYCERIDES!
    Brain:
    MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES MEDIUM CHAIN TRIGLYCERIDES
    Ad fucking infinitum

• Witnessed x 7
    • Informative x 1
  9. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I am always so sad when dealing with cats adjusting to a stressful day. My house is caring for a cat for a few months while their owner is in temporary assisted living and this poor cat had to deal with a 5 hour drive to end up in our big ol house and he has been hiding on a shelf in the corner of the basement's storage room for like two hours and has that body language that means nope, don't want pettings from the stranger human yet, just leave me in my corner, but i want to love on the cat and tell them it's alright.
    and i'm also stressed because i was attacked by my family's cat when he was similarly (though more long-termly) stressed so i am both wanting to hug this cat and also terrified to accidentally get too close to this cat

I did bring a handful of his food and some of his water to his hiding corner. hopefully that helps. i'm wondering whether i should move the litterbox down there for now..

• Witnessed x 6
  10. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Ah, poor stressed out kitty. Probably a good idea to take the litter box into that room. One of the things I noticed help my neurotic cat is just being in the same room as them without approaching, be calm and quiet and use polite cat body language (half shut eyes, relaxed posture) and then they can be more confident because you're not also giving off stress signals, and you become a safe person they can retreat to when overwhelmed.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  11. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I wish the Affini were real :(

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. theambernerd

I was literally about to go ahead and bring it down to him when he came upstairs!!! yay progress :3 I sat and did relax posture and he came over for a sniff and had me do one ear scritch when he went back to being skittish. progress!

• Like x 2
  13. theambernerd

update: tried just hanging out in cat proximity on the ground and he came up and gave me a sniff! took one scritch again but doesn't seem cuddle interested yet. he's exploring around the house now though instead of just hiding!! i will have this cat in love with me before the week is out >:3

• Winner x 13
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

i'm glad for Cat Progress :0

Also, i keep noticing that I read "OOC"/"ooc" not as "out of character" or "oh-oh-see" but as "ooh-oh-see". There are two vowels but let's just mush them together and then also seperate them??

Edit: the new posts page reminded me that BNHA, the anime i havent watched, is to be pronounced "bən-hah". Varies between "bin" and "bun" so lets call it a schwa

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  15. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I wish the Affini were real :(

• Agree x 2
  16. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I'm kinda fucked up on cold medicine. who wants ot hear a weird story.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 2
  17. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

I do

• Agree x 3
  18. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

fuck yeah time for a weird story. we're well into day two of fever and nyquil, so lets see if i can tell this one right.

This is the story of the time sethrial met a werewolf.

This was probably my junior year of highschool, smart enogh to know better but dumb enough not to care too much. I was on my way to a party with an suv loaded up with drummers. drum line rolls together. it got a little weird sometimes. ANYWAY. we were in the car on the way to the party when our driver has a big mac attack. fucker needs a cheeseburger right then, and only macdonalds will do. it's like one in the morning at this point, so we go through the drive through because that's the only thing open and sit in the parkinglot while he eats because driving drunk is fine, driving stoned is normal, but driving while eating? that's dangerous.
    Right, so we're in teh parking lot adn a guy comes up to us and starts talking to us. cool guy. played guitar, had a band, went to the high school across town. we had some friends in common. problem: fucker thinks he's a werewolf. I'm not saying he's a furry whose fursona is a werewolf. i'm not saying he got a little too into that rpg life. Motherfucker literally believes he is a werewolf. He changed his name from lucas to lucien to be closer to his werewolf ancestorys, because apparently his research into the mythos went as far as Vampires: rise of the lycans, and then he got bored. he offered to transform for us, but the moon was in the wrong phase. crazy shit.
    seriously tho, other than that one thing he was a realy cool guy, so we kept talking to him. eventually found out he was going to the same party as us. problem 2.0: there's only one car in the parking lot. ours. so we offer him a ride.
    "No thanks. I'll run." AND THEN THE CRAZY MOTHERFUCKER GETS DOWN ON ALL FOURS, I'M TALKING HANDS AND FEET, NOT HANDS AND KNEES AND SPRINTS INTO THE WOODS.
    but fuck it. we've got a party to get to. we pile into the car and start driving up the mountain/hill to the party. it takes maybe ten minutes.
    fucker beat us there.
    we got to the party and somehow he's already there, sipping on a soda without a care in the world. no one mentions how he must have come barreling out of the woods like a fucking lunatic. he's just. there.
    so i start drinking. i offer werewolf dude a beer and he tells me that he believes in purity of the body. Sure. Cool. Why not. A little later a blunt is going around and I offer him a hit of that too. No, purity of the body extends to all drugs. He doesn't even take asprin. His werewolf body can overcome everything nature can throw at it, as long as he keeps it pure, or some shit. Idk exactly what.
    So i was like "why are you even at this party?"
    he was like "I'm the designated driver."

gonna remind you that this guy came on foot.

and that's the stupidest real story i know! my pizza is here now, so i'm gonna go eat that and go to bed.

• Winner x 16
  19. thegrimsqueaker

thegrimsqueaker 28 Moribunding Mouse Aggravates the Angry Assholes

oh my glob that was fantastic pls add more stories

• Agree x 2
  20. Fuck my entire life

• Witnessed x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice