Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Informative x 2
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I remember someone on tumblr wrote a really amazing post about textiles, weaving, women's work, and witchcraft? It was about how historically, witchcraft was strongly related to these other things iirc. I'd really like to read it again but I can't find it. Would anyone be able to link me up?

• Like x 1
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Okay, question: why the fuck did clothing manufacturers decide that footless tights were a good idea? Tights get ripped within like two uses and are really only good for the sock part...and leggings already exist...and are way better...just...why do footless tights exist??

(Also: why no leggings with feet?)

• Agree x 2
  4. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

contrasting question: why are tights and leggings the worst sensation for my legs to my brain? they seem really useful why do i have to hate them.

• Witnessed x 3
  5. Acey

Tights have always sort of a been a sensory nope for me too, but it's a matter of the material in my case? I can get why they might be uncomfortable for some, though!

6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I hate tights, I love leggings. Remember my mom buying me black tights from the grocery store and going D: about it. Why do grocery stores always have a sock/legwear section?

• Agree x 2
  7. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

i concur, tights are awful. they're itchy.
    leggings are love and life. so are long socks.
    i think it'S a combo of material and pressure, because i have to check that they're high cotton blends, because artificial fibres are awful.

• Agree x 2
  8. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I'm alright with tights and leggings i think, but the crucial thing is the waistband. If it's digging in or rolls down/flips over or gets caught on my insulin pump site, it's a solid nope

However since i've basically stopped shaving my legs regularily since like 2010, i have the issue of my leg hair hurting/itching D: especially with tight long socks and leggings

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  9. Acey

This is precisely why I only shave my legs in the winter--I'm wayyyy more likely to be wearing long socks or leggings at that time of year, and while I don't give a fuck about having hairy legs for the most part, I'm not about the whole "OH GOD IT ITCHES AND BURNS" life.

(i still don't do it a lot but)

• Witnessed x 2
  10. Hey if anyone here right now knows much about computers (windows and linux in particular), I could use a little advice. PM me?

11. Irrational Geographic

Irrational Geographic i am merely a vessel through which the posts flow

As a kid, I used to be a big fan of the GSN original show Friend or Foe, which ran from 2002 to 2003. GSN had a host of winning and unique game shows, such as Whammy, Russian Roulette, Cram, and Friend or Foe. A year later, GSN torched all of them because they wanted to pivot into reality TV. This was a colossal fucking disaster and GSN is only now starting to come out of its dark age...but it still won't be the same.

There are about six or seven Friend or Foe episodes on YouTube. The game is basically very simple. Three teams of two people answer questions. After every round, one team is eliminated, and decides how to split their money via the prisoner's dilemma. If you've seen the UK game show Golden Balls, this is the final round, except the whole show. It makes for amazing TV, although a part of me wonders why anyone would want to be on this show (that also applies to the suggestively-named Golden Balls).

(Warning: contestant on first round elimination team makes NSFW comment that is not bleeped.)

I fucking loved this show, but I've seen every episode of it on YouTube....and it makes me wish I could find more of them. Does anyone know if they exist on the Internet anywhere? Where could I find them? You'd be doing me a huge favor. The GSN original game shows of my childhood were like, one of three good things about that time of my life.

Also, fun fact: shows like Golden Balls and Friend or Foe are apparently like crack to social scientists, as when I Googled for FoF episodes I discovered quite a lot of data and charts and analyses. EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma#Friend_or_Foe.3F Holy shit it really is like crack to them. Are social scientists okay

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
    • Like x 2
  12. Verily

Oh man, I also wonder why anyone would want to be on a show like that. I’ve noped out of pretty much every request to play any game remotely resembling a prisoner’s dilemma except for the one time a teacher made it a mandatory class activity unexpectedly. I probably would have elected to miss class if I’d known. I suspect I wasn’t the only one who wasn’t all fired up over the activity and that had something to do with that arrangement.

It seems like a pretty straightforward conflict aversion situation, except I am totally willing to argue at length over my ability to nope out as long as I’m not inconveniencing people other than the party trying to get me to play. It’s odd. The prisoner’s dilemma just makes me coldly angry.

I probably shouldn’t watch that particular show.

• Witnessed x 1
  13. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Look at this cute online store a coworker showed me. https://www.teeturtle.com/ I can’t stop looking at the plushies and wanting all of them.

• Winner x 1
  14. Verily

Their sooooocks though

15. Irrational Geographic

Irrational Geographic i am merely a vessel through which the posts flow

I wanted to be on Friend or Foe as a kid, and my mother straight-up told me I would believe my opponent and get Foed. It's fun to watch...but I wouldn't want to be on it.

• Like x 1
  16. winterykite

when i moved to berlin, my parents gave me their old futon
    the damn thing is about 30 years old and ive been sleeping on it for 6 years and for the past two it started hurting me
    soo im looking at mattress toppers (cheaper than getting a new mattress) and DIY solutions
    covering it with blankets isnt enough, not soft enough

gonna test 4 layers of bubble wrap tonight

17. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

the most likely problem with bubblewrap is gonna be that you'll get sweaty because it doesn't breath. Something like this might work well.

18. winterykite

Got it wrapped in old fleece, and it's definitely better than without.

I've googled and researched toppers the entirety of yesterday and have three ones picked out with decent reviews, but rn it's a pick between paying my dad back, getting a printer/scanner, and getting one of those. Might have to dip into my savings.

• Witnessed x 3
  19. From what I’ve seen you say I think dipping into your savings might be worth it for this. Hope everything works out well.

• Agree x 3
  20. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

;v;

• Winner x 6
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice