Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I can't find the shameless self-promotion thread, so I'll post this here--
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjSg2W1a7Ke__LTOpcaQCbw
    Aka I've got a Let's Play channel.

Audio is mixed, I've been fiddling with the setup for a while now. DDLC, .hack//Infection, and Link's Awakening DX from episode 9 (goe sup tomorrow) onwards are made with a standing microphone and should be noise- and interference free though, if you've got problems with that.

Schedule is as follows:
    Monday, Wednesday, Friday: Link's Awakening DX, about 30 minutes, give or take
    Tuesday, Thursday: Whatever other coop I'm running. Currently .hack//Infection with an IRL friend (Alex), and if Alex is busy, something that's still a secret, recording will start this Saturday.
    Saturday, Sunday: Doki Doki Literature Club, with @IvyLB as co host. No updates of that this weekend though because I fucked up the recording last Sunday. It was a stupid mistake I will not be repeating, so at least there's that. If the episode includes word picking, there'll be a poem made from those words at the end.

• Like x 7
  3. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

this is a weird ass question but since im gonna be doing the thing im trying to learn as much as i can about New Thing ahead of time so when May rolls around and I'm suddenly faced with it it's not As New And Scary, ya dig?

.... can someone explain to me how online college classes work, in a generic sense? i've been told it might differ if the specific person in charge is a hard ass buuuut.... idk the basis for what to expect and that is making my brain do a concern.

4. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I've had a couple different online classes, and they vary about as much as on-ground classes do, but there are some things that hold true across the board, I think. In my experience:
    • usually there's a weekly participation aspect--that can be discussions, it can be quizzes, it can be homeworks, but there's going to be a weekly deadline (anywhere from sunday to friday, depending on the teacher) that has some minor assignment associated with it
    • every 4-6 weeks, there will be a Major Assignment; this can be a test, a paper, or a project, but it will take a greater amount of time and effort to do, and you will be expected to have set aside that time on your own. sometimes teachers will remind you it's coming up. many times, they won't.
    • some online classes release all assignment information at once and let you bulldoze your way through the entire course in a week if you want. some do it week by week. ime, the classes that do a week by week release of class information are going to be more heavily weighted towards week-by-week participation, but also are more forgiving when it comes to grading.
    • almost every course will have taped lectures, but pretty much none of them will have subtitles. if you're lucky, they'll have powerpoints or written notes to accompany them, but if you aren't, it may just be an audio recording. these lectures range from thirty minutes to three hours, but most tend to be roughly 50 minutes or so.
    The biggest thing about online classes is that you're very much expected to be on top of your own time-management. I usually set reminders in my phone calendar of due dates and important projects (your syllabus should have those written for you when you do get access to the class information) and then set repeating weekly set of time aside in my calendar for Schoolwork And Nothing Else. The assignments do tend to be very forgiving, and I've only ever had one class where the tests were closed-book in practice, but time-management is a real killer when it comes to online courses.

• Informative x 1
  5. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

thank you!! that sounds... very much like something I can handle. :D

• Winner x 1
  6. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

One of the weirder parts of my job is when the legislature is in session and my boss gets lots of Very Serious Constituent Emails about things like "stop logging in state forests" or "make sure teachers can afford health insurance" and I have to go through and grab all their email addresses and there will, inevitably, be people who wrote a Very Serious Letter to the entire state legislature from an email like "muddemon69 @ hotmail.com."

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    • Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  7. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

A lot of people use emails that are not the ones that they normally use for serious things to send political emails, because political mailing lists are not a thing that you want to be on unless you're terrified that nobody cares you exist and want to get emails every day about the latest Big Crisis and reminders that they want your money. The number of times I've signed online petitions as Marceline Abadeer using a gmail account that I don't use for anything else is not unrelated to this problem.

• Agree x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

Oh, I absolutely understand the desire not to get spammed by political mailing lists (what with the fact that I... uh... occasionally do some of the spamming myself... *coughs*), it's just a little bit surreal to see someone's impassioned plea to, like, ban convicted domestic abusers from owning firearms or something, CCed to the entire legislature and the governor, with an email like that at the top.

• Agree x 5
  9. LadyNighteyes

(Incidentally, it is also VERY common for one of the legislators to accidentally reply-all their responses. Usually it's just canned "I'm glad to hear from you!" political-speak, but it sure is a thing to see somebody tell one of their constituents they're stupid and then accidentally CC their snarky unprofessional nastiness to half the state government.)

• Informative x 4
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  10. (Yeah, political reply-all is always fun)

• Like x 1
  11. whyguy

whyguy blarg

I'm still kinda fascinated/weirded out by the migraine I had last night

I've had chronic migraines since I was at least four, but once I took my meds and laid down I had this instant and powerful sense of impending doom that lasted for about 6-7 minutes before eventually tapering off. I'd never had anything like that before, it was really weird! usually it's just, like, pain, and nebulous repetitive thinking and occasional hallucinations. nothing very emotionally charged.

thankfully I was still lucid enough to still p much talk myself through it and be like "ok, well, I know I took my meds correctly, and I know this is a migraine, I'm probably fine" and then I was. x'D

migraines are fuckin wild

• Witnessed x 1
  12. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

My two favourite signs I see when en route to Aberdeen:

The one for Scotland's secret bunker
    The one for Battledykes

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  13. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  14. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Winner x 2
  15. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I'm dyiiiiiing.

Mite ii ka?
    Dame.

• Agree x 4
  16. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Spoiling for celebrity cancer discussion, post-treatment, very good outcome.

Stephen Fry made a video announcing and discussing his experience with prostate cancer. He's had an operation, looks like it's gone very well.

Poor guy. I kept finding myself nodding encouragingly at the video as I turned up the volume another few clicks because he's speaking so softly. I'm really glad he's doing well.

• Like x 1
  17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Deeply curious about what Battledykes are and how I, too, can become one.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

God I can't wait for kiwami 2.

• Agree x 1
  19. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sadly it is just an old Roman camp location with an undeservingly great name.

But the sign is just: < Battledykes and I love it. I like to imagine there is an AU where it is home to a buncha lesbian warriors

• Like x 4
  20. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

My new question is why no one has started a lesbian bar with the same name somewhere near by. I mean, the name's right there!

• Agree x 7
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice