Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

That Toto one brought back vivid memories of listening to the crackly-as-hell reception of Atlantic 252 on my friend's cheap portable stereo while the cassette wheels squeaked gently cause she was trying to record some song or other

Wild

• Like x 6
  2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

Okay so there's this game called Baba is You, and Mystery Tournament had it in their lineup recently
    And it needs to be seen to be believed, it's a really unique and amazing puzzle game omg

(might edit in a second if I can't get the time to embed correctly)
    (eta: okay time does not want to work, it starts at 4 hours 17 minutes.

But you need to look at this

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Winner x 1
  3. Exohedron

Exohedron Doesn't like words

Ah, I want to watch more, but I want to play that myself!

[ETA] Okay, I've played the demo, and it is nuts. I love it, and can't wait for the full version to arrive.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    • Agree x 1
  4. shmeed

shmeed plant me

5. Wtf

• Agree x 1
  6. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'd bet just excitement or his chest is itchy. My dog scoots around on his belly when he's excited and that looks like a similar breed.

Edit: oh, yup, that's a Boston. That's just a thing they do when they're revved up, although mine has his back legs flat and scoots with his front paws instead

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Informative x 4
  7. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Can corroborate. My parents' Bostons do the lying-down-and-scooting-forward-with-front-paws slug thing too. Boston Terriers are weird. :::PPP

• Informative x 5
  8. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

It reminds me of how my cat likes rubbing her chin on textures she really likes, like emery boards.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. shmeed

shmeed plant me

oh awww im melting. thats so cute. i knew a boston who did that butt scoot when excited too, but i didnt realize it could be the same kind of behavior

10. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

my dog isn't a boston (she's a heinz 57 of different breeds kind of mutt) but when she's excited she will lay flat on the floor and pull herself forward on her front legs
    when she's really excited she'll do it really really fast instead of getting up and walking over and it's hilarious

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  11. shmeed

shmeed plant me

oh my heart, what a massive nerd

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  12. sirsparklepants

Yeah, some Bostons do butt-up instead of head-up scoots - I am in no way a dog behaviorist but I think it's related to them being dogs bred to go after small animals that live in holes and the scoot being the best way to squeeze themselves in.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

My dog does the scoots too and hes a massive pit bull mastiff. It kinda looks like an army crawl sort of thing.

• Like x 3
  14. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

See, butt scoots always make me nervous because I have mostly had cats, although as a child I had BIG dogs too. (This is why I don't have dogs as an adult. I live in a flat. It's a large flat, but not large enough for the kind of dog I want to play with.)

Butt scoots in cats usually mean poop stuck to the fur or anal glands that need seen to. The first is bad, the second is so much worse.

I am a fashionista but I cut and colour my own hair because I won't pay $80 and up for that.

But I will gladly hand over $40 to the vet despite many how-to articles online, even if it means I eat beans and rice for a week, to deal with anal glands.

15. sirsparklepants

Oh, I'm not talking about butt scoots, I'm talking about, like, the dog version of an army crawl. My dog goes on his belly with his back legs spread out so he looks like a frog.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  16. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

oh!

LOL!!!!!

17. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Ok I already put this in the swap thread but figured I’d put it here too because I’m hoping I’ll grt lucky. Would anyone be interested in trading the raven’s prophecy tarot/the wild unknown tarot for the idiosyncradeck tarot/amethyst Oracle?

18. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Youtube actually gave me a good recommendation based on my interests the other day. Behold this half-hour+ discussion and review of Treasure Planet:

Based on the title I thought it was gonna be too negative for my tastes, but I clicked anyway for some reason. Successful clickbait? Anyway, it wasn't what I thought it would be at all. The guy loves Treasure Planet, and while he's not shy about talking about what doesn't work, he makes a wonderful case for the movie. He covers everything from the history of how it got made, to the specifics of the story adaptation, to the details of exactly how it was animated, to the related aesthetics of the worldbuilding and sound design. Highly recommend. So engrossing that the very-long-for-youtube runtime felt just right.

His other videos were also really good, with pretty eclectic picks (Dancer in the Dark, Dr. Strangelove, the live action Cat in the Hat). My biggest complaint is that I wish he had more.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  19. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I'm in a grammar class that is giving my pedantic southern ass a fucking aneurysm.

Pedantic problems: there are a few types of nouns, two of which are ajentive and instrumental. Agentive are living things doing things. Instrumental are nonliving things doing things. The difference being, does it have agency? Animals are agentive. Plants are Instrumental. What are venus fly traps? What about bacteria? viruses? mold? book characters? philosophers arguing about free will?

Southern problem: I live in the south and have for my entire life. i speak a southern dialect natively. y'all have seen me say "ain't" before. s/v agreement is fast and loose in this dialect to start with, and now this book wants me to figure out if the word "headquarters" is singular or plural mid-sentence? Fuck that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2018
    • Witnessed x 9
  20. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Like what was poetically misused in “lay lady lay”?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice