Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

ooh, i love high quality film analysis. if you've watched it, can you give me a summary of what he covers in the dancer in the dark one? that film gave me my first panic attack so i'm somewhat sensitive to content about it but also really love hearing people be negative about von trier

• Witnessed x 1
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I think you might not like this video. I don't think the guy has done any reviews of films he didn't like. He's also very heavy on movie clips to show what he's talking about, and while it's not as oppressive as watching the actual film by any means, it's still extremely grim and sad.

He does a lot of discussion and comparison about musicals in general to demonstrate his points about this one. There's a lot about things like camera movement, color palette, saturation, as well as genre conventions and history and overall structure. He discusses a few of Von Trier's particular ideas about film as they apply to the movie, but it's not very much about the director really. It's more about what the movie specifically has to say about musicals. It wasn't at all negative about Von Trier, Dancer in the Dark, or even musicals as a genre.

3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Is falling in love like. A real thing that happens to people or is that just in movies???

4. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

It happened to my father. I don't know that it happens to everyone, but I was a teenager so I definitely remember seeing it happen.

• Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I watched my mom and (step-) dad fall in love and they're pretty gross about how much the love each other even now.

Also I'm pretty sure I'm currently in love.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  6. Verily

I’ve fallen in love before. We met on the internet and ended up talking for hours daily. When we finally met and then he had to go, I cried in public and didn’t even care because I had such a good reason.

• Like x 2
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I think it's happened to me? I've fallen in love (or what seems fairly equivalent to falling in love) with a couple people (including my husband!). It didn't happen a lot, only like 2 - 3 times.

• Like x 2
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I've fallen in love. Hard. Sometimes it ends better than others.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. Love is complicated, but I’ve fallen for people before.

Note- not everyone experiences romantic attraction, and not everyone who does “falls in love.” Or does so the same as everyone else.

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  10. cleverThylacine

Me too...the only reason I mentioned my dad instead of me is that in his case they were still married when he passed away.

• Witnessed x 1
  11. Verily

Weird little twine story by Porpentine, whose odd twine creations I've particularly enjoyed:

ALL I WANT IS FOR ALL OF MY FRIENDS TO BECOME INSANELY POWERFUL

Important instructions from info page: "please turn on your speakers and your monitor and your mouse and your keyboard when you play this"

Many varieties of gore, self-harm, death. All in a dream-distant and absurdist spirit. None of the harm sticks. I thought it was pretty easy to gloss over everything unpleasant, but those aren't my triggers.

Sudden music eventually. It always startles me a little but not unpleasantly. The music is for the mood, not necessary to complete the story if you'd rather not. At one point the screen will abruptly become much brighter but there's no flashing.

I would also like this for all my friends. Whether or not you want to play the game, please go forth and have an insanely powerful day.

• Informative x 1
  12. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Winner x 1
  13. Technicality

Technicality All's fair in love and shitposting

i walked into the room where study hall usually is and there were two people making out in it. when i walked in they stopped and just glared at me and we had a very short conversation, which went as follows:

• Witnessed x 13
  14. cleverThylacine

witnessed for you.

if they were making out in a classroom/study room, it's their own fault they got interrupted!

• Agree x 4
  15. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Driving in dreams is always terrible for me

• Agree x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  16. Verily

I’m always driving from the back seat in dreams. I’m pretty sure that irl if it were possible for me to reach the wheel at all, it would be possible to get into the front seat without letting go of it. But that’s never an option in my dreams.

I’m genuinely still so excited every time I think about how that particular weird nightmare is fairly common. Getting lost while late for a midterm for a class you forgot you had is a little more obvious, but driving from the back seat of a car would not have been something I would have ever guessed was not just me.

17. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

My driving dreams are especially stressful since it always occurs to me once I'm moving that I don't actually know how to drive.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  18. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Ive never had a driving dream that i can remember.

• Informative x 1
  19. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

my driving dreams always involve either the breaks not working or the breaks barely working. it's very stressful and i usually have like 5+ hit and runs

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 2
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

S A M E!!!
    Like the brakes don't work completely, but I can get the car down to just rolling but it won't fucking stop. It's never really dangerous--I don't hit people. It's just super anxiety inducing

I've also had that combined with trying to drive from the backseat once. I was trying to reach the brakes from the backseat...

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice