Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

My mom used to say "Not on your tintype Nelly!" to mean "No chance in hell."

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Unrelated but it took me a solid 30 seconds to parse this. Thanks, the english language

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    • Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

There's also ambrotypes, which look a lot like daguerrotypes, and are usually kept in the same sort of case. The trick to telling the difference is to tilt the picture: you can see an ambrotype from any angle, but at some angles a daguerrotype just looks blank, or has the positive/negative space flipped.

(We're doing historic photos in class right now. Very fun.)

• Informative x 4
  4. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Is My Script Running In Non-Verbose Mode or Have I Run Into the Halting Problem? a truly harrowing tale of the ages

eta: It finished, so it was just running quiet.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  5. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

It's 23.15 (11.15pm) and it's fucking 29 degrees Celsius. I am melting ! Melting I tell you! D:

Please send ice and cool winds :(

• Witnessed x 7
  6. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Same hat. Drink warm tea, got told by more southern friends and it really helps.

• Witnessed x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

BIG MOOD, it’s been SWELTERING here in California. ;-;

EDIT: Although I didn’t notice the time where you are, that’s even worse than it is here. D: Witnessed!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
    • Like x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Many sympathies, it got almost to 100F a couple weeks ago (in Maine!!!! >:U) and I nearly disintegrated. If it gets that bad I usually take a cold bath or shower to lower core body temperature and then try to get to sleep before it wears off.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I need to start stocking up on hot pockets as a safeguard against impulse delivery pizza

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

A video of a guy explaining why you don’t need to worry so much about your lindy hop footwork while also showing the footwork:

I love his energy and style.

• Like x 1
  11. Emma

This heat is giving me a headache :(

• Witnessed x 7
  12. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Is it okay to be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of work this house needs.

Also my mother in law is in the (pretty awful) local hospital after having a hip replacement, and had a bad reaction to the morphine shot... And was given another morphine shot last night despite requests to not , and now she's on a heart monitor because her blood pressure's dropped so sharply.

• Witnessed x 10
  13. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Yes, absolutely.

• Agree x 7
  14. Emma

The facebook page for the animal shelter relatively close by is promoting its cats because it gets a lot of them brought in during summer, and it's making me want one :(

Most of them have to be able to go outside and I live in an apartment on the 6th floor. Also, I legit don't think it would be a good idea right now for me to get a cat because I am away from home so much.

But I really want one! :( This sucks.

• Witnessed x 5
  15. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Are you able to volunteer at the animal shelter? I’ve found that a pretty good way to get a weekly cat fix during times when I couldn’t actually have a cat.

• Useful x 2
  16. Emma

No :( I have an irregular schedule and would not be able to keep a consistent volunteering day unfortunately.

If I want a cat fix I can go see my parents, it's just that I feel a bit guilty that I cannot help the cats that need help so much :(

• Witnessed x 6
  17. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Cassette tspes and players were weird. Like, we all just accepted that there was a chance that if you put a tape into a tape player, there was an even chance it was going to get eaten to death in there, or you were going to have to perform major reconstructive surgery using a Biro.

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 1
  18. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

I had so many audiotapes as a smol.

• Agree x 5
  19. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Is there anything more Japanese than this?

For those not in the know, this is a toy model kit of a Japanese CNC milling machine.

• Like x 2
  20. Misty Pond

Misty Pond Well-Known Member

god off's soundtrack is so amazing. I've been listening to the entire album on repeat for literal days now, I just can't get enough

• Agree x 4
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice