Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

D41CFF32-5C26-4D0E-B029-359D9C1E6573.jpeg
    Look at this toy I got for my birthday, she’s the softest.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

petition to use the word "onion" instead of "opinion", because "opinion" is a stupid word that flows wrong and has too many syllables and onion is a nice, serviceable word with a nice flow and at maximum 1.5 syllables

pinion is a nicer word than opinion but it's also dumb, and the essence of "opinion" in english needs the o in front, so onion it is

3. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Kite no thats not how englisch works!

4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

English doesn't work, it just lounges around and mugs other languages occasionally

• Agree x 9
    • Like x 4
  5. Wormwitch

Drawing hands is...harder than it has any right to be.

• Agree x 6
    • Witnessed x 1
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Did anyone else get that presidential alert thing? Shit scared the bajesus outta me

• Agree x 4
  7. Wormwitch

I’ve been waiting for it since I saw it in the news this morning, but it was still annoying.

• Informative x 1
  8. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I vaguely remember a tumblr post going around claiming that the norwegians knew that torture didn't get you the truth about a thousand years ago but I can't find it (and would like to check the source, if there is one), does anyone have it at hand?

9. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I thought it was a regular emergency broadcast test and ignored it as fast as possible.

• Winner x 1
  10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

sad to say after five minutes of intensive research, DNA probably doesn't taste sweet (not enough OH groups, apparently)

• Informative x 4
    • Witnessed x 3
  11. Wormwitch

This morning My landlord said he was going to give my phone number to his daughter, and wanted to know when I would be leaving work. I’m dreading the phone call, but I didn’t know how to politely turn him down.

• Witnessed x 3
  12. Wormwitch

The time I gave him passed and still no phone call. Guess she was as unenthusiastic about it as I was. Also my dad apparently has been bothering the landlord with politics? Jesus Christ I honestly don’t know what’s wrong with my father. The poor man doesn’t want to hear about whatever trump-loving, conspiracy theory, deep state, democrats are communists bullshit you’re spouting now.

• Witnessed x 4
  13. Verily

Dear diary:

I am writing you formally because it is now week six of my James Heathers reading binge,

https://medium.com/@jamesheathers/s...imental-participants-like-cattle-b5fab7fbfca7

This article. Did anyone else lie their ass off on some study and feel no regret at some point? Because that was my experience with the drugs and alcohol questionnaire in high school. Some of my classmates were spreading rumors that the anonymous survey thing was a ruse to catch people. Meanwhile I was concocting a fabulist life of lies about my escapades. I was pretty much convinced the research might as well have been done with throwing darts. The results were quite alarmist when they were published and I didn’t know how to explain to my parents why I thought it was probably bullshit.

Did they catch my answers with any of their liar detector questions? I have no idea. I was definitely the type to notice when question 63 was a more confusing rephrasing of question 17.

I don’t even know why I did it. Well. I was bored and I didn’t feel any stakes whatsoever in the study. I started out meaning well but it evaporated quickly. Then it became a fabulous game of Tell Them What They Obviously Want To Hear. They got a zesty, if probably inaccurate, article from it.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Even the more formal, Definitely Not Bullshit We Swear, question sheets aren't as trustworthy as you think. Any trans person in Europe who's using public healthcare for transition knows how to cheat on the MMPI.

• Witnessed x 1
  15. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Yeah, I remember we got surveys like that in middle school and half the class marked everything just because they thought it was funny.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  16. Verily

Lots of things seem funny when you’re 13 and suspect the survey doesn’t respect you as a person.

• Agree x 9
  17. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

During Autism diagnosis both questionaires got accurate but increasingly snarky answers bc I didnt want to mess with the results but boy did some of the baked in assumptions annoy me.

• Witnessed x 5
    • Like x 1
  18. Verily

Oh gosh. That sounds wretched. I definitely have opinions about assumptions about my own learning disability. I’m not sure what I’d do about having to take that kind of diagnostic test about it. Probably exactly that.

I think the school disability office wanted me to do additional tests even though I already had a diagnosis and accommodations. I think they were trying to get me to be part of some more involved program, but I could not for the life of me imagine why I would want to spend more time with them. And they weren’t offering to cover the time, money, and effort of making arrangements, so they couldn’t even effectively bully me into it with ~vaaaaaauugue cooonsequeeences~ because I don’t exactly get better at scheduling things under pressure.

• Like x 3
  19. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

As someone who has always found music theory completely impenetrable, I've always wanted to see a graphical representation of a score that:

* Compresses the time axis vs pitch, because it's damn near impossible to see patterns in a long, long snake with tiny vertical wiggles
    * Rolls up the loops into looping structures instead of just enumerating them linearly.

Music is so fucking frustrating for me because it's full of structure that I lack the literacy to represent and thus reason about. My brain keeps wanting to build parse trees for it, but I have no tools with which to do so.

• Witnessed x 1
  20. Verily

I’m not in the same state as any of my signal processing material, but I wanna have a look when I get back.

There is at least one way to simplify the sine waves. It’s a fourier transform. As I understand it, a sine wave has a frequency, which is how fast the wave goes through a complete cycle. It’s not really necessary to represent the entire squiggle to those who know it’s there. You just need to know the frequency. (If you needed to, you could then draw out a sine wave that oscillates at that speed. Meanwhile you can represent that entire squiggle with just one number.) I think the fourier transform lets you break down a complicated signal into its component frequencies.

http://www.askamathematician.com/2012/09/q-what-is-a-fourier-transform-what-is-it-used-for/

This article has a picture of the display on a sound system:

[​IMG]

Apparently that’s what this is. It’s a realtime graph of the volume of the frequencies that are happening in the music, without all the wave business. I’m gonna guess it’s slowest to fastest, so this has a lot of volume across the spectrum but the very low bass range is less loud? This is spitballing, someone please correct me if I’m egregiously wrong and you know better.

Edited to hopefully improve clarity.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice