Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. I’ve discovered Azur Lane. Help

2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

tfw you check an old resume on google docs because your insurance forms ask for your employment history, and u find u and ur mom pulling some nepeta leijon business

20181023_111640.jpg

• Winner x 9
  3. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Today, I learned about a fringe theory on why hand axes were so widespread in the Paleolithic. (what's a hand axe? It's a prehistoric stone tool that-- Aaaand you're mentally picturing precisely it.)
    So, to two random scientists, the convenient shape for versatile use and ease of manufacturing don't explain just how often it comes up, and how well-made some of them are. So, they hypothesized that it was a sexual selection factor showing various skills, like a sort of bower but edgier. According to them, symmetry and visual quality of the end product were particularly important.
    This is probably not true, but I like the idea of gifting your crush a homemade knife.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  4. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I am watching a Dutch television program that is all about conflicts between neighbours and law and such. There's currently a problem that to my eyes basically boils down to racism.
    Racism. Racism. Racism.

And it's so so so frustrating :(

• Witnessed x 6
  5. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i mean lbr it's true in so far as that if someone gifted me a handmade stone tool with a good enough cutting edge to keep it around that looked even halfway badass, there'd at least be a second date.

• Agree x 12
  6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

It turns out that the cat's glass dish and my beverage container of choice are just similar enough in shape and size that the prospect of salmon and mussel flavour whisky liqueur was a mere second of inattention away

Think I dodged a bullet

• Witnessed x 11
    • Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  7. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

That, or a very drunk cat?

• Agree x 4
  8. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Extreme puzzle solve

• Winner x 3
  9. emcapi

emcapi Well-Known Member

it is made from high quality giraffe leather

• Agree x 2
  10. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  11. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I have just been listening to Shallow from A Star is Born on repeat. Wow do I love Lady Gaga.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  12. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Is the movie any good? I've been curious!

13. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I haven’t actually seen it, but my coworker didn’t like it. Which is too bad, because the music’s great.

• Informative x 1
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

hey question: is 8tracks listing each track in a playlist twice for anyone else right now? it's only playing each track once, but it lists it twice in the tracklist area that gets revealed as each track is played. I just missed the second half of two mixes because the website thought I had already gotten to the last song >:/

• Witnessed x 2
  15. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Think of how much time and effort people put into optimizing the object of their hobbies, whether it's a vehicle, or a computer, or whatever (case modding anyone?) If your fanciest possession is a hand axe and you've got little else to do with your time, wouldn't you spend countless hours working on improving it? It's even something you could work on in poor light, around the fire perhaps, while talking with others and passing the time. People probably also had meticulous and impressive wooden spears and such, but wood doesn't last nearly as well on an archaeological time scale.

I study and replicate medieval and renaissance arms and armor, and a considerable percentage of examples were made using lots of extra labor for appearance's sake to make them status symbols. There was of course also a lot of munition grade stuff, particularly in later period, which was mass produced and purely utilitarian.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 3
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Pumpkins ahoy! :toot::toot::toot:

@Acey

IMG_20181031_000136774.jpg
    Me: check out my jack o lantern I created
    Them: you fucked up a perfectly good pumpkin is what you did. Look at it, it's got anxiety

IMG_20181031_000203441.jpg
    *Loud buzzing intensifies*

IMG_20181031_000235664.jpg
    Bee and flower! Bee was by sister, and flower by her wife! I just now realized and honestly it's one of the cutest things I've ever seen :3c

IMG_20181031_000305885.jpg

Mom's pumpkin! She was too tired so my sister did it for her. It's a pawprint!

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 1
  17. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

ALL OF THESE ARE WONDERFUL...thank you for showing me!!

• Like x 1
  18. Morgan Jae

Morgan Jae pecure. sontain. crotect.

oh speaking of pumpkins
    upload_2018-10-30_23-51-19.png

• Winner x 16
  19. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Can you get a ghost, skeleton and mummy out of a single person?

• Agree x 4
  20. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

definitely a ghost and a skeleton/ghost and mummy, but you cant have both a mummy and a skeleton - you cant have a mummy without the skeleton in there

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice