Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

I've been putting in overtime on trolldad duty over the past few months, going after the grandmaster title.

Specifically, fellow-kidsing the everloving crap out of every meme and bit of teenager-speak he comes into contact with and getting it wrong.

"Yeet as AF, family"

"Oh, ree", or even better, "You're finna ree when you hear this"

"Oh cool, it's Bongo-Drum Cat"

"Well that's not very lamp of you"

Last night I got 20 minutes of ranting interspersed with punches, just for asking if all that mango he was reading meant he was a weebu.

I am a bad person.

ETA: while he was noodling around on guitar and keyboard with his schoolmate: "hey, is that the Fresh Burrito song?"

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    • Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Im sorry for invoking the corn meme while looking at neat writing utensils

Snapchat-744075679.jpg

• Winner x 1
  3. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

state pen of illinois

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 2
  4. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Implemented:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COMEFROM

Also, back on the topic of pretty hand axes:

5. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

So I have a job interview tomorrow (T-11 hrs) and their website is sort of out of date in the job placements department. As in, "there's an apprenticeship open for 2017" type of outdated.

When in the interview, if at all, do I mention that

6. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

https://www.eff.org/dice
    It's what I use for the passwords I do need to remember, and if you pick six words at random, it's strong enough for most purposes.

• Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

8. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Does anyone else here read fics for pairings they don't like if they do like the premise? I know I'm not the only one, I'm just wondering how common it is and if anyone here does it.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  9. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Hm. "Ani-maymays" should be sufficiently infuriating, I think.

• Agree x 2
  10. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

There is only one work of fan-fiction I have ever consumed:

... I tend to keep the entire genre in that mental bucket.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  11. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

gillette.png

I am deeply amused.

• Agree x 7
    • Informative x 2
  12. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

The 5th wave was such an odd nonsense movie i was just subjected to

13. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

So I just picked up my son's ukulele and a pineapple, and said "hawaii desu ne".

He hit me.

A lot.

• Winner x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Am I a bad person for always having the urge to complicate drama threads?

Not as a distraction technique to kill the topic (because I really hate it when people do that), just the sociopath sysadmin in me always wanting to exploit poorly-defined rulesets and induce captain_mal.gif in unsuspecting victims people.

• Witnessed x 3
  15. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

A bad person would follow through with the urge, someone who isn't wouldn't. At least assuming i'm reading that correctly.

16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Agree with the above, with the corollary that if it's "complicate for the purpose of trying to find more nuance in the subject" it's more tolerable, whereas if it's "complicate for the purpose of throwing a grenade into the conversation to watch everyone flail" it's a pretty dick move.

• Agree x 2
  17. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

I generally take a phrase I can remember, use the initial letters and add in some numbers and the result is something that's kinda a keysmash, but rememberable.
    (Problems arise when other people know the phrase and numbers that you're likely to use, and also using the same password for multiple sites)

Actually it would probably be more secure to take a keysmash and make a phrase out of it.

Edit: note I do use actually secure passwords for important stuff

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Agree x 1
  18. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

Heh. My brain has a tendency to produce gibberish words/syllables anyway; I tend to hang onto particularly memorable ones and use those.

Pretty damn un-derivable, and have the interesting side-effect that I can always recognise them as mine.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  19. Musarex

Musarex Active Member

I really want to see a bsc in english lit.

TESTING METHODOLOGY:

A double-blind study (n=430) was conducted. The control group was given a modified version of the text where the word 'verdant' was replaced with 'green'.
    14 hours after consuming the text, volunteers reaction times in recognizing the following adjectives were measured: ebulient, lush, riotous, abundant....

• Like x 2
  20. Re Allyssa

Re Allyssa Sylph of Heart

That sounds like linguistics research. I am pretty sure that is linguistics research.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice