Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

People discussing this sort of AI stuff tend to go for, in this case, "All the stamps eventually, no matter the cost". There's that one clicker game that's a relatively good example of how that would work, Universal Paperclips, based on the most common example used which is a paperclip maker. (The game ends when you convert the entire visible universe into paperclips.)

2. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

I thought of that, but I think that depends on how you define "happiness". I may decide that the survival of the human race is more important than my personal happiness, but in effect that means that if I choose my own happiness over the survival of the human race it would make me very unhappy.

3. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

i think this is the sort of question where eventually you run into the deep end of philosophy where you have to spend three weeks deciding what 'is' means, and that's boring. :P

• Agree x 5
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm going to try picking up other languages by reading translations of books and stories I already know. I found "Guts" in Spanish, and it didn't make me faint in any language, but I can still follow along with it.

• Like x 1
  5. jacktrash

@Kodachi btw re the dream daddy screenshot -- don't sell yourself short. you're movie volstagg, not comic volstagg. :D

(and i'm a lucky buddha, but maui is goals)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    • Useful x 1
  6. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Crying in the club

• Winner x 3
  7. jacktrash

gdi i'm going to have to give amazon money, i can't not watch it.

• Agree x 5
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  9. Nobody's Home

Rats! We're rats! We're the rats!

• Agree x 3
  10. jacktrash

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  11. jacktrash

i love this guy's deadpan delivery, btw. "it probably won't be a problem, but it can sometimes burst into flames, so keep that in mind."

• Agree x 3
  12. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Nile Red's great. I've actually got a Patreon thing for him.

• Like x 1
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

He is very good, my mom likes his videos too

I like how he just deadpan says stuff about like, reactions not working well, being disappointing, or smelling really bad

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

• Like x 4
  15. Nobody's Home

Oh i enjoyed this one

This vid's about designing the behaviours of Atreas, your AI companion, so it is both useful and noticeable to the player

16. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I've noticed a strong running theme in my writing of names being extremely important. The one I'm doing in an abuse survivors' support group has the participants' real names being classified, and when I want a character to offend another getting their name wrong is one of the first things I think of. Is this a dysphoria thing, a cultural thing, or just the fact that no one can spell my real name right?

17. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

D) all of the above?

• Agree x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I can't deal with BDG having a mustache

• Agree x 6
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I think I misunderstood how dumbbell size labelling works and got ones twice as big as I should have because they were marked "2 x 5kg" and I thought that meant a pair of 5kg ones. Still, I can do short sets with the ones I got and I did want ones which would help me build strength.

20. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I love cats in Minecraft. Laying down on stuff I need to use, running around and jumping on the bed, physically pushing me across the house. So realistic.

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice