Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I feel... some mix between called out and seen. Mortifying ordeal of being known indeed

• Agree x 5
  2. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

It’s both exponentially better and more embarrassing than being seen but not understood.

• Agree x 5
  3. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

[​IMG]

• Winner x 4
    • Witnessed x 4
  4. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

that happened to me more than once when i was teaching college. the curse of a youthful face.

• Witnessed x 1
  5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I know a college professor who complains a lot about how often they'll tell someone "I work at [university]" and get the response, "What's your major? :D"

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  6. Verily

When my sister was working on her doctorate, she got asked which high school she went to.

• Witnessed x 3
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I started wearing specific teaching clothes that are more fornal than anything I would normally wear to kind of distinguish myself while teaching. I also have a rather youthful face. I bet on the first day of class I could sit in the room until start time and then surprise people by getting up and introducing myself as the TA

• Like x 3
  8. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I feel it. I continually get asked if I’m in high school.

I’m 26 ffs

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  9. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

One of our volunteers once asked how old I was to see if she could make a dirty joke in front of me. It turned out I was older than she was.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  10. Verily

Then there was the young woman who, in Philosophy 101, spontaneously got up and started teaching the class on the first day when the professor was late. Everyone assumed she must be a TA filling in until the actual teacher got there. Nope, she was a freshman.

• Winner x 8
    • Like x 1
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Whenever I go somewhere with my sister, people always assume she's the elder one. She's 21 and I'm 25, about to be 26. I also get the high school question a lot.

Whenever I started college and was moving into the dorms, people constantly asked my sis what her major was and commented how nice it was that her "younger sister" was helping her move to the dorms. She was 15 and I 19 -_-

• Witnessed x 4
  12. Verily

People think my sister and I are twins or occasionally that I’m younger. By this age there’s really not a significant enough difference that anyone really should be able to tell by looking, so it’s not that big a deal. It was kinda funny when we were younger.

• Like x 2
  13. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I take it as a good sign that people now ask me if I moved here for college/university (i still look like i could be in high school imo), and every time I go into a high school I'm carrying equipment that indicates Im Working I Dont Go Here

• Like x 4
  14. I have no concept of if I look older or younger than I actually am. I have a recent selfie in Show Yourself if anyone cares to check.

• Like x 1
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Picked up some sake from a liquor store on the way home a few months ago at the cashier was giving me the stink eye throughout the whole store. I thought it was because we were like an hour before closing and she wanted to clean up, but when she checked my ID she had the "You're 16?????? I thought you were 16" convo with me and we both had to laugh about it a bit.

• Like x 3
  16. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I keep being guessed older than I am probably mostly out of circumstance; most people don't expect the young adult woman who is living abroad on a work visa as an animator to only be 22/23 i guess? i'm wondering if at 24 it's gonna slow down tho
    also no one cards me even tho they've got signs everywhre saying you may get carded if you look like you're under 25 u:

• Like x 1
  17. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

carding seems to be highly localized, tbh. i (still, at 35) get carded a lot in Michigan but i've never been carded in New York, for example. i lived in Ireland for 6 years and got carded exactly once... buying brandy to cook with, lol.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  18. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I have to wear makeup to the liquor store even though it's a five minute walk from my house and therefore mostly the one I go to, because the one time I went without the clerk thought my ID was fake and bent my license so far it almost snapped testing it. I'm 26.

• Witnessed x 7
  19. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I just turned 30, and not only do I always get carded at liquor stores, a month or two ago I was treated to the worker intensively studying my card for a full minute.

The fun of transition.

Eta: just to be clear, he seemed to think that I was underage, not that there's a gender mismatch.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
    • Witnessed x 5
  20. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I’m 31 and people have guessed I’m anywhere from 19 to 29.

• Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice