Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I am also a spooky wienie so it sounds like it'll definitely be scary enough for me then

2. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

this is the first 80's fashion youtube video i've ever seen that was accurate. good job safiya!

most videos showcase things that, back then, we'd see in a magazine or something and go "really?" -- there was a tendency in magazines and especially catalogs to show a lot of pieces in one outfit that you would not, in real life, wear together. like that catalog photo everyone brings up, with the parachute pants ...

yes, i found the pic!

[​IMG]

yeah, i didn't see people walking around looking like a tragic accident at a rainbow sherbet factory very often. you'd wear the jacket with jeans. the class clown who somehow smuggled a case of beer into the prom afterparty would wear the pants on the right with a white t-shirt advertising spring break in cancun. the class closeted gay guy would wear the pants on the left with a short sleeved button-down, possibly lemon yellow. one of the flock of nice girls who collect stuffed animals would wear the pants in the middle with a big floppy sweater and a bow in her hair.

of course, the way i personally dressed in the late 80's was not featured, because it's not very interesting to look at.

[​IMG]

but i certainly spent less time on my hair. :D

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
    • Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

MANED LIONESSES, CHECK IT OUT:

• Winner x 5
  4. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

This one?

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 1
  5. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

@jacktrash Yesterday I had a bit of a giggle when I saw a lady on the bus wearing almost the exact same outfit as the lady in the middle (except the jacket was neon pink and green) and I was unable to forget the phrasing "tragic accident at a rainbow sherbet factory".

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    • Like x 5
  6. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Large image:
    ICE.jpg

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I occasionally wore clashing neon garments. Because I was a little kid. And I knew they didn’t match, I just also knew that no one was going to try very hard to stop me.

Have fashion magazines ever been accurate? I know with like, Vogue, it’s not supposed to be. They’re concept presentations, not suggestions for your event next Tuesday. Even with magazines featuring clothing that’s actually for sale to wear, it seems like either they’re trying to showcase a look that’s supposed to be more inspirational than instructional, or they’re trying to make as much use of the space as possible by putting as many featured items on the models as they can.

• Agree x 2
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

*raises hand* I wasn’t alive in the 80s but I would absolutely wear any of those outfits today if they had enough pockets

I would wear the pants on the right with the jacket on the left

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  9. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

My friend is organizing an invader zim zine if anyone is interested hehe watch out, I'll prolly be posting about it when interest posts are made

• Like x 3
  10. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Kind of want to find one of the extremely long "[fandom], grab your [implement]" post chains and reblog it adding "And YOU! *points at tea bloggers* Put the kettle on."

• Winner x 3
    • Agree x 1
  11. jacktrash

[​IMG]

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  12. jacktrash

i never actually SAW one of those in the wild. tell me, did homestucks add "homestucks grab your bulge and your pail"?

13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

It was "homestucks grab your strife specibus" as far as I can remember

14. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Usually it was Strife specibus or Sylladex.
    (I may be weird but i never read those as anything but a slightly obnoxious meme)

15. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

...Okay, so for that 80s Clothes Video, is it me or is the second outfit Safiya wore totally normal in 2019? (...Maybe minus the shoulder pads??)

Like, I don't keep track of what's "in-style" or not on a season-by-season basis, or even on a year-by-year basis necessarily, but I swear that basic look of "brightly-colored A-line skirt, oversized tweed blazer, belt that matches color of heels that matches color of shirt" is like...90% of what I see at The Mall. Or certain stores at The Mall, anyway. Like, Charlotte Russe or Express or Ann Taylor or something. I've abstained from dressing an OC that way a few times before because I thought it would be too generic a character design.

...It's also basically the only Style I know how to do, and thus the Style I did basically every day back a few years ago when I Cared About Fashion and didn't just wear the first clean clothes I found in the morning. Now I'm wondering if people thought I looked like their mom then... ^^;

16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I think it was a much more boring "grab your strife specibus" iirc

17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

it was usually "strife specibi," I'm afraid

fakedit: ninja'd!

18. jacktrash

well that's just wrong

19. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

90% of the people making the things were teenagers 16 or below I believe, so that's probably why

• Agree x 1
  20. jacktrash

oh, then it's a good thing i didn't get to add my bit, that might've been skeevy.

no, who am i kidding, teenagers have incredibly raunchy senses of humor, and all the anti-shipper pearl-clutching in the world can't remove the Lol You Said Penis from the teenage psyche.

• Agree x 3
  21. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Heck, even fairly mild jokes appropriate for children sometimes have raunchy sensibilities. Like the Star Wars pants game, in which you replace words from Star Wars dialogue with the word “pants”. I can’t swear to perfect accuracy, but I seem to remember these highlights:

• I cannot teach him. The boy has no pants.
    • I find your lack of pants disturbing.
    • Place Captain Solo in the cargo pants.

• Winner x 7
    • Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice