Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 2
    • Useful x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

My birthday cake turned out to be gross, so from now on I'm going to make my own.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Neat! I've always thought synesthesia was just seeing colors as numbers and other extremely straightforward things like that, but that wiki article makes me think I need to dig a bit deeper. Thanks!

Honestly the best way to go imho if someone can. Sorry you got a shitty cake, that sucks :(

• Agree x 2
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Everything else went fine, but there seems to have been a mixup with the order. Still, I have other junk food, and I'm happy with everything else about today. Dinner out was great, got the books I wanted. Feeling a little less freaked out about the number of the birthday too. Turning 30 is kind of scary, but now it's happened I'm okay.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I get that too, and seconding Chel—I’m pretty sure it’s a form of synesthesia!

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

My sister has stronger synesthesia than I do. She has really strong color and direction associations with calendar dates. We both have a sense of what color various parts of music are, but it’s much more important to her I think.

Me, if I concentrate I can see what colors letters are supposed to be. It’s not visually projected into space, though depending on how much room for interpretation of color the particular visual setup leaves, it can be much harder to do at all, or conversely I can almost see the tint as if it were a vague halo.

Weird sudden realization. I really like the SBaHJ forum style. I find it surprisingly visually relaxing, maybe even more so than my usual choice of gray text on a black background. I just realized that it is nearly impossible for me to imagine the colors that letters are supposed to be as I’m typing them into this violently magenta box. Scrolling up a bit, it seems at least as difficult to do with the unrelenting orange against which most posts are displayed. It’s not that it’s normally an effortless exercise for me, but this theme makes it a huge struggle. It feels almost like one of those challenges where, for example, the word “blue” is written in pink and you’re supposed to say pink but it’s hard not to say the wrong thing. The visual data is so overpowering that I can’t stop processing it enough to superimpose any mental image on top of it.

I don’t know if that has anything whatsoever to do with why I like this theme. I’d suspect not directly, since I would be having to consciously exert effort to see letters as colors and I rarely even remember that that’s an option, let alone expend a lot of energy on it.

I think it may have to do with attention in general. It is apparently hard for me to divert my attention from these very loud colors enough to do conflicting processing. I don’t want to anyway. They’re eye catching. I want to look at them.

A lot of my strategies for dealing with focus issues are about managing unwanted processing that interrupts what I’m trying to focus on. Even ritalin is a strategy for managing that, because it helps my executive function control everything else so it’s not all shouting as much about different things at the same time. I sing along with music I know well while doing math. I’m extremely verbally oriented and unless I want to describe equations to myself, which I do not, I need to divert that elsewhere. Complex instrumental music is good when I’m trying to write. I watch predictable shows on Netflix when going to bed because I need my brain to not attempt to recreate the ouroboros entirely from thought patterns while I’m trying to wind down. I read text to out loud myself if I’m having trouble concentrating because it occupies multiple senses that way. If I can’t express myself out loud, I will use the meager amount of sign language I know and/or interpretive dance. I have spent a lot of time thinking about how one can dance using nothing but eye movement. I need things that grab or ground or bleed off stray energy and thoughts. I have so many.

I suspect an orange and magenta website with blue accents is probably actually helping me focus, by making it much harder not to focus.

• Informative x 2
  7. whyguy

whyguy blarg

my synesthesia is pretty faint and sporadic. the main one I always think of is how I conceive of numbers spatially

for me, zero sits straight ahead in front of my face, and then positive numbers are slightly higher than the zero and extend out to the left of me infinitely. negative numbers are slightly lower than the zero, and also extend out to the left infinitely. so positive 1 is directly above negative 1 and so on.

for some reason there are no numbers at all to the right of me, and that's the way it's always been.

I don't really have any use for this. I'm actually pretty discalculaic so idk why it's such a thing in my head. x'D

edit: oh! and every single gif I see plays a sound in my head, even the ones that are really abstract and wouldn't have a real world noise.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Hghg funny homophobic story
    So in the Philippines, LGBT also often get grouped under SOGIE, (Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression)
    And recently my university had pride march, and it got reported in local stuff
    My friend who is gnc woman, who's also a fan of drag and wears drag esque make up on the reg, was featured prominently on some pix in the journalistic articles

So there were a lot of hate comments, lot of ppl assuming she was amab etc, and hghrhgrh someone said they knew the true meaning of SOGIE, which was Sin Over God Is Evil and hghrhh fuck that's the funniest shit ever? My friend is ok, she thinks all the hate comments are funny, and the website started moderating the comments of the article

But Sin Over God Is Evil is fuckin hilarious hghrgg

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  9. Nobody's Home

Jenny Nicholson talks about star wars land the prequel

• Like x 1
  10. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

is this, or is this not, a rickroll?

• Winner x 3
  11. fowlJ

fowlJ Member

Today at the grocery store I saw probably the most stylish person I've ever seen in real life. She had a pale pink pixie cut and were wearing a nice dark blue vest over a white shirt with mid length sleeves, and dress pants with slightly flared legs - it was very well put together.

She was there with her kid, who was wearing what appeared to be a Naruto ninja headband.

• Winner x 14
  12. townghost

townghost mystery crab

hey guys, i need your help in my threads. i still need advice on what to do about retaining my truth while not getting abused? i’m on the trauma forum.

13. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

my cat just booped ME on the nose

• Winner x 16
  14. You have been blessed.

• Agree x 8
  15. Nobody's Home

20190921_230814.jpg

Must resist urge to say rip that person but im different

• Witnessed x 5
  16. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

what does this mean?

17. townghost

townghost mystery crab

i think i was trying to vaguely refer to a lot of stuff i’ve been trying to communicate as a kid. i know you know about the truscum stuff. i just used to use it to kind of rudely force a space to talk about it

• Informative x 1
  18. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

[​IMG]

• Winner x 15
  19. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

:O i want to crochet a fence now!

• Agree x 5
  20. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

post pics if you do, i wanna see :D

• Agree x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice