Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

i mean this is a far-off goal considering i live in an apartment with no balcony or anything. but, you know, someday.

• Winner x 3
  2. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

The full text of the Cuil Theory is replicated on both Know Your Meme and the Creepypasta Wiki. I can't imagine there are many texts in that position.

• Winner x 6
    • Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Oh man thats kinda a blast from the past i had forgotten about cuil theory
    Fun times

• Agree x 6
  4. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

Pumkin #1

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 1
  5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

• Winner x 7
  6. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

who says the news is always depressing

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  7. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

This is precisely why I legitimately love “fluff pieces.” There’s enough misery in the world already, and I for one really need to hear good or cute or funny news too.

I’m especially fond of sweet local news stories, but they’re all nice. :)

• Agree x 3
  8. jacktrash

jacktrash spherical sockbox

this is sincerely adorable

• Agree x 3
  9. Acey

Baman Piderman often is! I'm SUPER behind, but it's good content. Really silly and cute. :D

• Agree x 2
  10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I've successfully significantly reduced my tendency to fight with people online, but I was doing that a) to redirect the fact that I really don't like myself or my life outwards and b) for something to do. The logical way to solve both problems, obviously, is to find more productive things to do. Finding those things is easier said than done. Still, I have at least a few ideas. Fingers crossed I keep this up.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  11. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I have a weighted blanket now and it’s super soft.

• Winner x 7
    • Like x 1
  12. Acey

Weighted blankets are the BEST. I got one for my birthday this year and it’s like...how did I ever live without this??

One cool feature of mine is that it came with two duvet covers! One is thin and stays cool, and the other is soft and warm like mash potato, so I can use the first cover during warm months and the second during cold months.

(thenks mather (and fother) for my blanket)

• Winner x 5
    • Useful x 2
  13. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

[​IMG]

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 4
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

I have a moral dilemma. A close friend has asked me to help him install a Ring camera. I want to help my friend, but I don't want to contribute to building the panopticon. It's also not hard to imagine the exploits; people in third world countries watching your pattern of coming and going, making note of the fact you live alone and when you've just received expensive looking packages, and selling that profile to local burglars. Do I help him or refuse?

So far persuasion has failed.

• Witnessed x 4
  15. Petra

Petra space case

All you can do is bring up your concerns and then let him do what he does.

• Agree x 2
  16. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I didn't know Amazon, facebook and google are third world countries now, or that we still use that outdated classification system, but aight.
    imo just say 'I'm not comfortable with doing this because of data safety concerns', unless you think your friend is appreciative of a lecture on foucault's writing.

• Agree x 2
  17. Petra

Petra space case

Yeah like your concerns about privacy in the internet age are absolutely legit but you shouldn't assume it's going to be people from underprivileged countries exploiting data. I don't think you'd be out of line to say you're not comfortable helping as long as you aren't trying to force your friend not to do the thing on his own.

18. Kodachi

Kodachi Well-Known Member

Amazon et all need not be based there, there is an internet connection. I recently saw an article that said that some 60% of business cloud accounts have been violated. Every couple of weeks I read another article about some big service having it's entire database stolen.

There are plenty of people in low-wage, low-cost-of-living areas, whatever you'd like to call those places, in which it's financially advantageous for them to spend a great deal of time and effort for a little money from more well-to-do areas.

19. Petra

Petra space case

There's also a lot of well-to-do companies mining information already. Jumping to 'the concern is poor people in other countries selling information to locals' is problematic phrasing when the concern is people exploiting the information. It doesn't matter if those people are local or foreign or mining for a company or 'independent contractors', but it's disingenuous to pretend that poor probably non-white foreign people are the big chunk of the problem when a ton of the data leaks and other manipulation going on is from big, well-known names like Google and Facebook.

I'm not calling you a racist or a classist. I'm saying that your phrasing was colonialist, and I'm pointing it out because I would like people to tell me if I did that so I could fix that.

• Agree x 1
  20. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

Yeah basically. Like. The concern should be for the big data vaccuum cleaners to at least have the goddamn decency to provide an iota of safety about it. That's what I was trying to point out. Get mad at amazon and google, don't implicitly blame theoretical economically disadvantaged people for data breaches that are generally fucked up by multi billion dollar companies that ruin the economy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice