Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Das Sporking came up with an adjectival form for the trope Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe; "speaking forsoothly".

• Like x 2
    • Winner x 1
  2. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

its time for courtroom funk

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

that just made my day omg

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Reminds me of:

• Agree x 2
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

i love ace attorney so much

• Agree x 4
  6. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

I get this stuck in my head once every menstrual cycle and for some reason I feel that’s worth sharing

saw it once 8 yrs ago and it’s haunted my echolalia center since

• Like x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Shouldn't the plural of Doberman be Dobermen?

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 1
  8. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I thought it was!

9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

apparently windows 7 is losing support in a few days and anyone not using windows 10 (me) will then be subject to hordes of malware. I don't know if my laptop will even take win10 :/ guess I’ll find out!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    • Witnessed x 7
  10. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Yes, Windows 7 is reaching end of life real damn soon.

You will not be subjected to immediate hordes of malware. Do try to get the last update and perform regular backups. I’m not actually sure about whether Windows Defender will still receive signatures, and perhaps I should really check, but if you’re using non-Windows antivirus, keep updating that. Try not to click on suspicious links, as always. Do not believe anything that says you have a virus if you can’t verify that the virus actually exists and that the people (more than one) who say it exists have a solid reputation in security. Don’t edit your registry or download software, especially antivirus, from sources without a good reputation. Avoid pirated materials.

And yeah, you should probably upgrade if your machine can support it. If it’s any consolation, which it probably isn’t, I hear the kernel has undergone some really awesome improvements as of Windows 8 and on.

• Useful x 2
  11. Verily

Also back up your computer before you upgrade!!!!! And know that Win10 will apparently dump the contents of windows.old, so if you have anything you want, get it out of there right away after the upgrade.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I’ve got malwarebytes, though not the paid version. I’ll empty my documents into some flash drives but I don’t really know how to do any more thorough backing up than that lol. luckily there’s nothing too important on this machine.

• Like x 1
  13. Verily

Windows has built-in backup capabilities. Here’s Microsoft’s description of your options: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ransfer-your-data-on-a-windows-based-computer

I ended up using a second hard drive (an external hard drive at least as big as your internal drive should work fine if you’re not making this overly complicated like me) and live booting Linux on my computer, then using the Linux dd utility to clone the entire disk onto the other drive. It allows you to make an exact copy of the whole darn disk, which is probably very overenthusiastic for most purposes. I could not honestly recommend this because dd can and will erase all your data instead of backing it up if you make the wrong mistake. Upgrading your system is stressful enough without that. It’s like you almost want a backup to be safe to run the backup. Also it’s very slow even if you change the block size, the amount of data you’re copying at once, which you definitely should. It took literally all night, but did end up coming in handy (mostly because I was making things overly complicated). I may have also had to download extra libraries for Linux because it didn’t recognize the Windows file system format and thus could not mount the drive I wanted it to copy, or something like that. It was a whole deal. Windows has some perfectly decent backup and restore features that probably would have been just fine, except that I was also upgrading my hard drive and did actually want a perfect copy but on a different disk. Pro tip: consider upgrading the operating system before you upgrade the hardware. So that is another free option that does exist, if you already have a spare external hard drive, but probably not the best idea unless you have a reliable Linux enthusiast on hand, possibly for a couple days depending on what utility you plan to use. Someone should test the backup before you call it good.

If you only want to save some files and you want to move them manually, you can absolutely do that. (Also if you have a previous windows.old folder from upgrading XP or something, save what you want from that before upgrading because it seems to overwrite it.) Just be sure you have access to the installation files, downloads, or discs, as well as the keys of any program you really need, because if something were to go wrong and you had to create a fresh install, I would imagine your programs probably would not be installed. Remember to grab any bookmarks and passwords you want from your browser. Also remember game save files plus any mods that have that warning about how you won’t be able to open your save if you remove the mod. And any option and preference files, if available, that would be annoying to recreate.

• Informative x 1
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

slides this mothman content across the table

1. These mothman drawings
    2. Glumshoe showing us themost iimportant part of the West Virginia Mothman statue

15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I discovered the concept of an Id List this week, and it's neat! Basically it's a kink list which covers non-sexual things as well, or that Fanfic Bingo Card for yourself with more than nine slots. The writer who came up with it has a list of hundreds of tropes and scenes and themes she loves. I think this is what I was noticing a while back with those authors I was jealous of and trying to imitate; they were more in tune with their Id Lists than I was. I'm gonna start making one, and I would be really curious to see what anyone else's looks like - seeing lists of things other people like is fascinating.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Ohhhh, that sounds FUN. I'll have to make one!

17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Let's put ours on GoogleDocs and link to them?

• Useful x 1
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Has anyone else experienced reading as 'too loud' in situations like:

• You're approaching overload
    • Can't focus on another Actual sound, so have to stop reading
    • The characters' voices are 'shouting' or 'in a heated argument' so you gotta turn it down by doing something else for a sec
    I'll even have a physical reaction occasionally where I'll turn my phone down or swipe a book page a bit as if it's a video

• Witnessed x 4
  19. Verily

I can’t recall that specific manifestation of Too Much Stimulus, but I’m pretty sure I’ve tried to turn down the brightness of a screen using the volume controls before.

This is totally unrelated to anything, but youtube has gifted me a duet of half of The Devil Went Down to Georgia, performed by washing machine and acoustic guitarist.

• Winner x 7
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Winner x 3
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice