Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I will say, I did watch a documentary in high school Latin where a historian described him as “a very sexy man,” but I think she was just horny for a historical figure like every classics type I’ve known.

• Informative x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  2. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

[​IMG]
    yes, for $900 american you too can have a tiny useless chair prop on a string that holds, maybe, a credit card and a key if you're feeling saucy.

• Agree x 3
    • Useful x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Acey

Insane designer bullshit always makes me lose my fuckin mind but that’s truly next level tbh

• Agree x 2
  4. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

My car got stolen out of the parking space in front of my apartment.

Edit: turns out it was a tow company?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    • Witnessed x 9
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Still trying new things! I am on a roll. Beef liver's a bit strong, so I'll try the trick of soaking it in milk. Banana texture is still gross but I'll try mixing it in with something. Grilled tofu is better than I expected!

• Winner x 3
  6. Acey

For bananas, ripeness is a big factor, for me at least—I have sensory issues with riper bananas, but underripe or barely ripe ones are fine? Obviously I can’t speak for what your specific sensory issues there might be, or exactly what you’ve tried, but if you’ve only really tried it at one level of ripeness it might be worth trying others.

• Agree x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Would Lot's wife count as the first Darwin Award nominee? I mean, with all due respect, when an actual deity tells you looking at something is dangerous, you really shouldn't look at that thing.

• Agree x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

So my grandma is reading off "funny" anti mask and anti vaccine posts from her facebook and my brain is melting as i sit here and try to pretend to laugh

• Witnessed x 11
  9. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

threads been quiet so
    [​IMG]

• Winner x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  10. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I bought person 5 strikers and it's weird seeing a persona game that isn't turn based.

• Agree x 1
  11. BaseDeltaZero

BaseDeltaZero Shitposting all night.

I mean, there've been fighting games for a while, but I think this is the first one that's that kind of third-person-action. I think there have been similar SMT games, maybe?

• Informative x 1
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Question; I've been reading a book review where the reviewer repeatedly calls it a "white" thing for the characters to be calling their parents by their first names. I've never encountered anyone who does that, of any race, but context suggests it could be a thing associated with specifically rich and/or specifically American white people. Is that a thing anyone's encountered? It's new to me.

• Agree x 2
  13. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

The only times I (white, Canadian, middle class) have seen someone call their parents by their first names it was intentionally disrespectful.

• Agree x 5
  14. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

as a german: never, unless someone is on sufficiently bad terms with their parents to basically go 'I'm denying you the acknowledgement that you're my parents and will just use your first name'

Like my 50 year old mum calls her mum 'Mama' and would be deeply confused about doing otherwise. Meanwhile my dad, who's stopped talking to his mum calls her Herta (her given name).

• Agree x 3
  15. Alexand

Alexand Rhymes with &

Is "only white kids call their parents by their first name" similar to "only white kids tell their parents to fuck off and get away with it"? The cultural stereotype I've seen here is "white parents are overly permissive, so they won't discipline their child even when being blatantly disrespected, and white children are overly entitled, so they will blatantly disrespect their parents just because they can". From what I know this is associated with teenage white boys speaking to their mothers in particular, so sometimes there are also implications of budding misogyny in there, but the main thing is the entitlement.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 2
  16. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

My specific situation is different i think, but i call my dad by his first name because i knew him as that before i knew him as my dad, but refer to him as dad in outside conversation.

I also grew up calling my bio dad scottdad, and my step dad papi but without the fatherly feeling behind it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Informative x 3
  17. Acey

I’ve encountered it all of once, and while that was a fairly well-off white girl, it was definitely considered unusual (particularly since she actually seemed to be on good terms with her parents). The only exception I can think of where it’d be considered more normal would be in the case of a stepparent, and in that case it’d likely only be the stepparent (e.g. “Mom and Steve”). Or, as @TheOwlet noted, in the case of estrangement of some sort.

So no, I wouldn’t say it’s a white thing per se, but I will say that the only instance I’ve personally encountered it was with an upper-class white girl, so idk.

EDIT: Oops, ninja’d! Definitely some valid points brought up by y’all too.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    • Agree x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

White American, same as Budgie and Owlet above. Only times I've encountered people doing it IRL was in situations with divorces and remarriages where the term might be ambiguous, and even then there tends to be an obvious element of "bio dad deserves the title of Dad less than stepdad."

This stereotype has always confused me because I... have known just as many white kids with incredibly controlling parents as non-white kids? I assume people are picturing a very particular sort of rich Californian TV yuppie when they say this kind of thing, but there is no shortage of authoritarian white parents at any economic level. I don't know, I was too antisocial as a kid to have a good sample size, but it reminds me of how I once saw a post of Twitter screencaps of various people declaring that keeping a plastic grocery bag full of plastic grocery bags was a hallmark of pretty much every major ethnic group in the US, or gay kids on Tiktok saying that straight people drinking iced coffee is appropriating gay culture.

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

The characters the reviewer was complaining about doing this were all entitled dipshits and happened to be white, but I don't think their ethnicity was as relevant to their dipshittery as the reviewer seems to think.

• Agree x 2
  20. Acey

I’ve noticed a real tendency amongst very online pseudo-progressive types to dismiss anything they don’t personally like as White People Bullshit regardless of how valid an assertion this is (I saw this one person saying “maybe i’d like bojack horsemen if i were white,” which...okay then), or otherwise (Insert Privileged Group Of Choice) Bullshit, so I kinda suspect it might be something like that, tbh.

• Agree x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice