Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

My series from childhood was Chobits! Which looks sweet and innocent and cute, but the more you look at it like any of CLAMPs work the weirder and slightly more fucked up it becomes lmfao. I adore it, I still have the full set on my shelf and give it periodic rereads. More slightly recent that made a huge impact on me was Genshiken tho.

As for anime... hm. oddly enough, one of my comfort series is a show called Comic Party (There's a manga of it too that I have, but I saw the anime first!). It's about this guy who works to become a doujin artist with a shot at becoming a pro comic artist. It's VERY much a product of its age, it's not got anything great going for it, it's full of tropes, and the english voice acting is terrible but it's the one i'm used to. Yet I've lost count of how many times I've watched it and how many times it's helped me get out of slumps.

otherwise... 90's Sailor Moon and Yu Yu Hakusho, My Beloveds.

OH, WAIT, NO, THERE'S ONE SERIES. ONE IMPORTANT SERIES. 3x3 EYES!! I caught the second half of this show over and over and over growing up on cable, and never saw the first half till years later. But it's action and fantasy and romance and magic and it made me cry as a tiny Ryn and it made a BIG impact on me.

• Winner x 3
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

does Yugioh Abridged count?

even if it doesn't Yugioh would have to be one of my favorites, specifically Season 0 before it was all duel monsters all the time. terrible animation, some regrettable anime tropes re: The Girl, but fantastic horror+found family trope with a side of demonic ghostly protector/soulmate. and Inuyasha was the first anime I ever watched so of course that's some bulletproof nostalgia right there <3

I know I watched at least one or two more as a kid, but I've forgotten what they were.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  3. hyrax

hyrax we'll ride 'till the planets collide

Hellsing was the first anime i ever watched all the way through (how to get me into a genre: add vampires), and because of my inexperience with anime i didn't appreciate at the time how unique the opening song was! like, i definitely thought it was cool, but then coming back to the show years later with more anime under my belt, and the like, chill funk jazz groove really stands out among all the high energy jpop and jrock intros:

also, it was my first exposure to the vampire trope of spelling "dracula" backwards for a character's name... except, since i was watching it with dodgy fansubs, red hat vampire man's name was transliterated as "Arucard" most of the time. so i didn't pick up on the backwards dracula thing for, way way too long.

• Like x 3
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

So I've always been wary of things like advertising because of how pinpoint they are these days and on rare occasions even offensive, so the thing that just happened on my YouTube has got me shaking a bit.

My sister got her hair faded and short yesterday and I have been accosted non stop so far with superclips ads. It finally stopped when I was watching clips of Trixie and Katya taken from their Netflix show, and I was given an ad about halfway through that started with "I am a transgender woman with aids and all I want is to be loved, that's why my doctor recommended me [name of medication]" and I'm honestly fucking appalled

• Witnessed x 4
  5. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Me: Huh. I'm getting kind of beefy now that I'm eating more.
    Me: *eats eggs for breakfast, tuna for dinner, and a protein bar as my midnight snack
    Me: It's a mystery.

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The noid is back

• Informative x 4
  7. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Good and I stand by that: Lain and .hack//Sign

Terrible, just terrible, and that’s a major reason why we liked it: Weiss Kreuz

I don’t really read manga. I did like Monster, but I don’t think I finished it. I feel like translation has probably always been a huge issue for me. I wasn’t that interested in anime or manga until after I’d started studying Japanese. Subtitles isn’t an option for manga.

• Like x 2
  8. TheMockingCrows

Lain, excellent taste. I need to rewatch .hack, I've never actually finished it but I have fond memories of it and how bomb the soundtrack was.

• Like x 2
  9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I only ever finished the original anime .hack//Sign, though I understand there's a Great Deal more plot through various videogames and whatnot. Definitely a fond memory, and the first anime I intentionally sat down regularly to watch. Still have the soundtrack kicking around on my mp3 player

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  10. TheMockingCrows

yesssss ive got the first 4 games and its Wild. the fact ive managed to collect all 4 is an insane quest of luck on its own, i highly rec playing a rom unless you wanna shell out major cash anymore, but they're a fun romp :3

• Informative x 1
  11. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

The first anime I watched all the way through was probably Trigun. Thats mostly because my sister bought it for me.

• Like x 2
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Not sure why, but a couple of my friends think basically all the music I listen to comes from SoundCloud and it cracks me up since I haven't been on SoundCloud for ages. My tastes are pretty indie and eclectic as fuck but I don't really see the similarities after that :toot:
    SoundCloud has great stuff, I just happen to not use it

• Witnessed x 3
  13. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Favorite manga is Pet shop of horrors, and favorite anime is Cowboy Bebop. I actually had the Pet shop of horrors on vhs as a teen (along with Vampire hunter d, and akira) but the anime isn't very good when compared to the manga honestly.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Oh, hey, this is a really neat idea for a fic challenge.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh damn yeah, that sounds hella fun!

16. TheMockingCrows

i was just reminded that this existed and started laughing like a fucking hyena.

• Winner x 2
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Okay, mini poll. Who here sets aside a day each week to do all their chores, and who does some on each day? I'm trying to get my executive function into shape and I'd appreciate hearing the pros and cons of each side.

18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I do a bit each day, most are routine things that need repeated and since video game challenges have made me rely on step based "missions" I can do them as efficiently as possible. Cons are sometime the game gets interrupted by a bigger problem I don't usually have to deal with, or I get tired from some event I've done before.

Weekends are for big projects and skipped routine things that have gotten out of hand. Pros are sometimes it's easier to get help when you need it, and you can go at a slower pace so it's not overwhelming. Cons are sometimes big projects can look Scary and alternative, more fun or more important things come along and then you have big projects mixed up in your routine. Weekends of course can be swapped with "easiest access to long periods of free time where assistance might be more available".

This is just my personal way of dealing though

Double also, I personally do my routine in the morning as soon as I am fully awake so I can't talk myself out of it once I'm doing it

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

My preference actually leans towards amorphous, very forgiving tasks within a timeframe. For cleaning, clean anything once a week, at any time, on any day. If I transport one piece of clutter or waste to a more appropriate place/receptacle, that counts. Exercise is accomplished if I at least go stand on the treadmill, three days a week, on any three days. As long as I complete some sort of gesture I can include on a technicality as having kinda started the task, and I technically did something at least the minimum number of times, I met my goal. Go me!

This would probably be terrible for a lot of people. It works pretty well for me because committing to starting significant tasks is really challenging, but if I'm recycling one aluminum can, I'll usually be like, might as well grab several and maybe tidy up a couple other things while I'm at it. But I don't have to do that, so I'm less likely to feel paralyzed by the very idea. If I do find myself either doing the minimum a lot or not doing the task at all, I need to change something.

(The super flexible scheduling only works because of mobile apps helping me out. I couldn't do such obnoxious recordkeeping continuously for very long by myself.)

• Like x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. TheMockingCrows

i just accidentally slept for 13 hours and had a dream that was essentially The Purge meets Disney meets Chase Dream meets Long Trip To Walmart With Family.

what a fucking night owo

• Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice