Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Agree x 3
  2. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Sometimes I go to Aldi's just to look at what interesting snacks they might have in, because they get new things in all the time. I picked up a bag of ponzu ginger potato chips, and they're pretty good. There was also a wasabi bag, but I don't like spicy things that much. Normally the snacks are from Europe, so stuff from Japan is a nice change.

I wish there was a store near me that carried snacks from other countries all the time, because I love trying new things. What's snack do you love that's hard to find where you live? I love red bean buns, but I haven't eaten them in years.

• Winner x 3
  3. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Not quite the same, but when I went to Canada in 2018 I fell absolutely head over heels in love with Tim Hortons’ waffle breakfast sandwiches and the fact that I live in California and thus cannot just go get one whenever makes me sad.

• Like x 2
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Green tea KitKats! I had some in college straight from Japan and they were magical. I can technically get some from an Asian food store but it's a pain in the ass to get to and they cost an arm and a leg

I also bemoan the lack of a boba tea shop anywhere near me

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Oh god YES, the various Japanese KitKat flavors are so good. I remember trying the strawberry ones at some point in college, and I think those were my faves!

Also boba tea is Amazing and I hope you get a shop soon! (It’s funny, I thought it sounded gross for so long until I got thirsty at a Homestuck meetup in college and it wound up being the most convenient option…I have not looked back since)

EDIT: Also almond boba best boba. This is my Personal Opinion but I’m right

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

There was a big polish population near where I grew up and I fell in love with pączke, especially the rose filled ones. Best filled donuts, hands down. For whatever reason I can't seem to find them in my new neighbourhood.

• Witnessed x 3
    • Like x 2
  7. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Soft yeast doughnut holes with a particular crunchy sugar glaze.

There was a doughnut shop near where I grew up, mom and pop operation, and I was basically raised on these little treats. Imagine my depression when damn near every doughnut hole I try since happens to be cake doughnuts, or cooked so long they get hard instead of being delicately pillowy soft, or they have frosting on them instead of a simple sugar glaze. I think if I ever find something that tastes the same as that I'll openly weep.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Thinking of growing my hair out even though I know I try this every year and I'll want it cut again in the winter

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like x 2
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Apparently the Hauntswitch trademark has expired during the WP fiascos. I maintain that the fandom should snipe it and hold it ransom until we get a straight answer about what the fuck is going on.

10. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm actually discussing sniping the Hauntswitch trademark with some other users. Can anyone who knows the potential legal ins and outs explain to me why this is as bad an idea as I'm pretty sure it is so I won't be tempted to actually try it?

11. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

What is the end goal you have in mind here? Do you see an outcome where you get a straight answer instead of a litigious mess that ends up with all of you blocked and blacklisted by the few WP staff remaining?

• Agree x 4
  12. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Making our own version, since WP are almost certainly not going to end up producing it either way.

13. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

So you're not just talking the trademark, which is separate from the copyright? Because a trademarked name is not the same as the copyright to the work. And that's also not the same as holding the trademark "hostage" for answers.

• Agree x 3
  14. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I don't understand why you'd be willing to entangle yourself with the dramatically flaming clown car What Pumpkin has become, honestly. Make a fanwork. That's what they're for.

• Agree x 6
  15. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

point blank no beating around the bush response: that's a dumb as shit idea chel l m f a o

• Agree x 6
  16. Theyre working on the game yknow. Like whatever is going on is a mess but theyre still working on the game. To kinda do that shit that you just said is just malicious? It's fucking bad

Eta

Theres trolling and theres jokes but trying "take away" something, like it's bad fan behaviour. It's entitlement. Say what you want about the direction HS is going, I fell off of it because what is happening in canon is something I don't care about at all - but you just have to accept that you don't like the canon and do your own thing. Like don't 'mess with' creators? It's not 'showing them up cause you can do something better' or at all. It's malicious behavior

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Agree x 3
  17. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I've been here for years but this is my first genchat post

Apparently I can't read stylized hangul very well. I was trying to figure out if my ramen was japanese or Chinese, normally Japanese looks more square but it still didn't ping as Japanese to me. Then i saw the korean writing on the packets themselves (as opposed to the branding)

Don't tell my middle school korean teacher, lmao.

• Witnessed x 4
    • Like x 2
  18. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I like how after I mentioned them having japanese stuff for a change, that aldi's has bowl ramen in the seasonal section. Admittedly they probably don't actually come from japan, but I'll take what I can get. The pad thai bowl was pretty good, and I also have yakisoba and shoyu.

• Winner x 4
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I stop being able to tell the difference between full sized and small katakana and hiragana characters the second the writing is vertical, which is kind of a problem if you expect to like, read Japanese? I have a fucking minor in this language. Please please please don’t tell my old professor who’s like, the regional director for something important about college Japanese programs?

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I dislike it when writers forget the details of their own books.

How can someone be divorced without kids in one book, and then divorced with kids, having overcome cancer the next?

It's annoying.

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice