Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

by that definition, there isn't much or any real shitposting going on in the shitposting rave, precisely 'cause it is the shitposting rave.

2. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

Then what qualifies the shitposting rave as the shitposting rave? (This isn't a rhetorical question: I've never been to the shitposting rave, and I know my definition is woefully incomplete.)

• Like x 1
  3. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

it's for rp shitposting, for non-committed rping and silly posts on subaccounts. pretty much anything goes, really. it can go from robots having a serious discussion of robot politics to norm the genie trying to tell a seagull why it shouldn't screech, and beyond - and all of that fits within it. all of it. and that makes it hard to explain.

and since shitposting is expected and encouraged there, none of it is inappropriate to the millieu, which makes that part of your definition inapplicable.

• Like x 3
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I define a shitpost as an obviously facetious or illogical statement presented in a serious manner, with some form of surrealism being involved.

Something like "yesterday i ate 1000 eggs, as stated by the new egg eating law. Tomorrow i will only eat 999 as a form of silent protest."

That's just me, though.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    • Like x 8
  5. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

[9/6/16, 9:43:14 PM] Nick: i think the best joke i ever made was
    [9/6/16, 9:43:36 PM] Nick: i was paid $40, in the form of two $20 bills, for a commission i did for a friend of the family
    [9/6/16, 9:43:58 PM] Nick: and i went over to my siblings and i was like "hey guess what i've got" and showed them the money
    [9/6/16, 9:44:07 PM] Nick: and my sister was like "cool, $20"
    [9/6/16, 9:44:31 PM] Nick: and i was like ".....no, this is $40. it's two $20s."
    [9/6/16, 9:44:52 PM] Nick: "it's clearly two $10s" she said. "i should know, i have 20/20 vision"
    [9/6/16, 9:44:59 PM] Onna Stik: AGH
    [9/6/16, 9:45:05 PM] Nick: and i said, "no, you clearly have 10/10 vision"
    [9/6/16, 9:45:22 PM] Ryn: :I
    [9/6/16, 9:50:11 PM] Lady Kianna: <__<;
    [9/6/16, 9:51:10 PM] Nick: : D
    [9/6/16, 9:58:44 PM] Here Comes Team Rocket!: :|

• Like x 3
  6. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

We have palmetto bugs in the house. Not a horde of them, but one every once in a while. Moirail is reasonably distressed by them so if she finds one, I sigh and get up to kill the cool bug.

The problem is, despite being big, palmettos are SUPER SUPER SPEEDY. If I turn around, they're gone. Since I usually see them in the kitchen, that means I have to keep a ready bug-smasher in the kitchen so that they can't run away before I can kill them, since having them loose makes her nervous.

I had once casually grabbed my version of a textbook to kill one of them and then left it in the living room. It's the Complete Poems and Prose of John Milton, hardbound in red, and not starting to stain up from the bug deaths. After it proved its use many a time, I officially made it the bug killer despite fully planning to sit down and read Paradise Regained some day and started keeping it on the kitchen counter.

The I went to cook something on the stove today, so I set the book down in the living room while I was cooking just to be safe. Moirail noticed, grimaced, and said 'Why is the book of death in here? Should I be worried?'

I think Mr. Milton would be proud, but I have to wonder how my incredibly enthusiastic Renaissance Studies professor would have felt about the moniker. It can't be called anything else now, that's it's name.

• Like x 10
  7. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

• Like x 2
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

He captures the exasperated tone of the story perfectly

• Like x 1
  9. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

• Like x 1
  10. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I want to tell the story of the most delightful thing my mom has ever said to me. This was probably ten years ago. I was young and just discovering the internet, and had found a site I really wanted to share with my mom, probably Gaia online if we're being honest here. In retrospect she clearly didn't want to join, but she was humoring her daughter and was very sweet about it. At one point in the process our conversation went like this:

Me: Good, you've got your screen name and info, and now all you have to do is make your avatar.
    Her: Does it have to be an airbender?

• Like x 10
  11. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

• Like x 8
  12. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

....why, do you not look like that?

• Like x 3
  13. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

yeah, i mean, i don't look quite like that, but that's definitely @Snitchanon.

• Like x 4
  14. Kaylotta

Kaylotta Writer Trash

• Like x 5
  15. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

How did you get those cameras inside my private home.

• Like x 5
  16. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Guess what I found on Wikipedia looking up something completely different.
    Screenshot_2016-09-08-21-20-59.png
    I am agog. Really? This is a real thing? This is like that 9/11 marketing flash from forever ago.

17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Did anyone else have Chevron cars as a kid? I just realized not everyone had those. My brother had a huge collection for a long time and he'd get more for christmas and birthdays and stuff. My favorite was the one with wood paneling and surfboards, and I actually still have the pizza truck.

18. ... do you mean like hotwheels?

19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Nah, Chevron had this line of toys that were basically cars with faces and they were great. The eyes looked back and forth when you wheeled them:

[​IMG]

• Like x 3
  20. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i think i may have had one but i want

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice