Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

They were, famibly whatsapp chat dropped off in the middle on a convo, no longer Sending messages

ETA: still down in germany, in fact

• Witnessed x 2
  2. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Consider this a rating of "undignified schadenfreude-y snort of laughter"

• Agree x 9
  3. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I had a gig editing a novel this week, and I had to tell the writer to remove an accidental Chris-chan reference, which meant I had to tell them who Chris-chan is. That was uniquely awkward. Really couldn't have let them find out the hard way though.

• Witnessed x 4
  4. Raire

Raire Turquoise Helicoid

I just googled this and. Hm. Ok.

• Witnessed x 1
  5. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I did say awkward.

• Agree x 1
  6. TheOwlet

how on earth does one make an accidental chris-chan reference. Like. That's one hell of a specific reference to begin with?

• Agree x 1
  7. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Having an autistic character make a "third date sex" comment. It probably could have passed okay, but I really didn't want to take a chance.

8. TheOwlet

...considering that i'm pretty sure i've heard Jokes about third date sex in Hollywood movies, i'm pretty sure you just had a horribly awkward conversation for no reason.

• Agree x 3
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

• Informative x 1
  10. TheOwlet

Again: i promise you third date sex is enough of a cultural joke that nobody who isn't Extremely Online would gave connected that. Even remotely.

• Agree x 6
  11. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Given that I noticed it and people who are terminally online do buy books, I figured it was better to point it out anyway. It would have been fine as a joke, but having the autistic character apparently not understand that it was a joke was the problem.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Informative x 1
  12. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

...What was the context for this not being understood as a joke? Because I can confirm, it pops up in pop culture all the time and I knew about it well before I ever knew fuck about chris-chan

• Agree x 4
  13. KarrinBlue

KarrinBlue Magical Girl Intern

I'm still not sure what that has to do with Chris-chan? At most it might possibly be an ableist joke, because autistic people taking things too seriously can be like that, but just because Chris-chan stuff tends to involve every single ableist joke ever doesn't mean people will read all those traits as Chris-chan references. At most, I'd expect the issue to be people having two data points of the same joke reinforcing a broader ableist idea. And if the autistic character in the book you're editing is well written and sympathetic, I expect that wouldn't be an issue either (and if they're not well written and sympathetic, then you have bigger issues)

• Agree x 6
  14. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

• Winner x 9
  15. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

It is much too late/early but my schedule has been fucked around so much this past month I can't sleep and I'm feeling vaguely unmoored from time.

I can't decide if my idea of rereading the entire Discworld series is a good one or a dubious one. Maybe I'll make a thread of it or something so I can go back over it later.

• Witnessed x 1
  16. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Well, I've been listening to the Watch discworld books on audible recently and I'd forgotten how much I like them, so I vote yes?

• Agree x 2
  17. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

GOOD idea.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  18. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I may have already mentioned this (and if so I apologize), but you know the 4chan thread with someone “making broccoli” by boiling cauliflower in green Gatorade?

Well, as it turns out, I know that person. In fact, they’re a close childhood friend of mine, and we even quasi-dated in middle school. They proved it was really them to me by showing me the photo they didn’t include in the thread—a selfie with the resultant abomination unto man and God. (Obviously I’m not posting that here because privacy, but like. It’s definitely them and it’s very clearly the same kitchen at the same point in time with the same godawful concoction.)

I should note that this all absolutely tracks.

Anyway, I bring this up mainly because my Discord status is currently a line from Half Life: Full Life Consequences (“ZOMBIE GOASTS LEAVE THIS PLACE”), and in response they informed me of their latest project. And I am so fucking excited.
    C7E01FB6-E5EE-42F2-B262-0A5ADC1A0018.jpeg

• Winner x 5
  19. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

I have never played an otome game before, but now I'm playing Ikemen Vampire instead of the the mayoi bsd game because it has Dazai Osamu in it. Gatcha games are a gateway to otome games.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Yay: Between the near-daily use of the axe and branch lopper now I'm making serious inroads on Operation Clear Ground For Chicken Run, and hauling wood back and forth to edge garden beds, I've been building some serious chest muscle

Nay: My boobs are so perky rn and it's giving me dysphoria

??? : I love being powerful but why boobs why

• Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice