Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Has anyone seen the Our Father documentary on Netflix?

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

People who are sufficiently nerdy may be aware of the drama surrounding food psychology research fraudster Brian Wansink's spectacular destruction in 2017-2018; if not, I have an accidentally-popular Tumblr thread about it here, and the very good podcast Maintenance Phase has an episode about it here, with a transcript. Well, apparently he's publishing again! ...with his daughter. Who's in high school.
    [​IMG]
    And he has learned nothing.
    upload_2022-6-1_9-31-51.png
    I don't know how many people know or care enough about these sorts of statistics to appreciate the degree of clownery on display here, but you don't actually even need to do that, because there are even extremely glaring basic grammar errors. The same paper has the line, "75 children’s were involved in this study."

I'm torn about whether I feel bad for his daughter or not, because on the one hand this is a guy with a lot of power and influence abusing that power and influence to transparently try to pad her resume, but on the other, this is going to be radioactive to anything she wants to get into that looks at it any closer than "she's coauthor on two papers published in scientific journals!"

Anyway, :noms:

...wonder what would happen if I plugged some of these data tables into GRIM.

• Informative x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

do they make office chairs wide enough to sit cross-legged in? or gaming chairs?

• Agree x 1
  4. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

All the bunting's making me want to start blaring Sex Pistols at top volume on principle. I'm not even 100% against monarchy, I just object on the same principle as I object to Christmas decor in public. I don't like attempts at enforcing cheerfulness.

• Agree x 1
  5. Wormwitch

Reddit might be a cesspool but at least r/poetry has mature people in it (mostly). Made a post asking for people's favorite lgbt+ poet because it's pride month, and got the "what if someone asked what everyone's favorite straight poet is?!" nonsense comment. But otherwise everyone gave me a straight (ha!) answer.

• Winner x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I have planned a road trip of almost 2 and a half thousand miles this summer and now gas is $5 a gallon :/ Therefore this might become a train trip! It would take longer and maybe not be as much fun BUT it would be cheaper and more environmentally friendly. I could fly, but I kind of had my heart set on an overland trip. Might fly on the way back.

Has anyone got experience with multi-day train trips in the US? I would be going from the northeast to Texas. Haven't been on a train since I was little, so I barely remember it.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

T E X A S
    I am no help but trains do look fun in movies

• Agree x 1
  8. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I'm visiting my sibling :D I was really looking forward to a leisurely roadtrip tbh, but now that I've decided to go for the train I'm looking forward to that too. the only part I'm worried about is transfers and the fact that I probably won't be able to do any sightseeing on the way :( but there's always next time! and traveling by train will be fun for sure.

• Winner x 6
  9. Wormwitch

• Winner x 2
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I saw! it looks good!!

11. Wormwitch

I'm not someone who's normally into romance shows, but I might watch Alchemy of Souls because it has a woman as the protagonist and because the magic looks cool.

• Informative x 1
  12. Nobody's Home

Nobody's Home I'm a Greg Coded Tom Girl

• Winner x 4
  13. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I'm probably the last person to notice this, but if sending out a Pokemon to attack involves throwing the Pokeball, how come the trainers are holding the Pokeball again to call the Pokemon back when they're done without ever being shown picking it up?

• Agree x 2
  14. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

Wait when the Pokemon comes out of the poke all doesn't the open pokeball just kinda fly offscreen? Maybe it zooms back to the trainer's hand. Via magnets, or a yo-yo cord.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Pals and I have translated a lot of Pokemon into IRL equivalent pets, but I'm stuck on Koffing. The world's gassiest cat?... ETA: Ah, a toad! Perfect.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  16. Wormwitch

Watching a Korean sci fi show on netflix and had to stop not because the sci fi was really out there but because the subtitles said a tiger was purring and that broke my suspension of disbelief. Of all the stupid things that made my brain go "wait what, that's not real!"

• Like x 3
    • Witnessed x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

I kinda love how early Pokemon can imagine technology which converts animals into computer code and back again without issue but Ash still has to pick up phone messages at the Pokemon Centre.

• Agree x 7
  18. Wormwitch

• Winner x 1
  19. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Two potential new jobs... both taking me away from sbux... one of which is actually in my field...

If anyone has any luck to spare please send some my way, retail is crushing my soul.

• Winner x 4
    • Like x 3
  20. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

[sends you my good job finding vibes. i got a good job, now you do too]

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice