Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

My coworker keeps asking me where her "eyes with the little witch" are, or if she should put them out this year, and until she asked me today if the painting group should do eyes this month istg I forgot she was talking about a painting. Ngl I was getting really freaked out

• Witnessed x 2
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

• Useful x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

oh yikes

• Agree x 2
  4. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

....what... what is the fandom etiquette on backing things up? Do you do your best to contact the fic author first?

5. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'd vote download it first because who knows when it'll go down, but contact the author before reposting or sharing it.

• Agree x 2
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

also, this is ffnet. chances are a good deal of those accounts are abandoned. I'd say the only reason to go looking into the author is to find out if they're on another site already.

• Agree x 1
  7. CarnelianCoyote

...one of the ones I loved that left a mark on me, ffdotnet *was* the more accessible way to the author. One-hit wonder I thought I had lost when the original fanring where it was posted got shut down.

• Witnessed x 1
  8. CarnelianCoyote

Feeling a little anxious still about how to know at what point it's ok to archive if I can't easily get a response. Also just... the sheer size of the thing, all the unsaved works...... I'm starting by prioritizing my actual favorites bookmarks, those I'm not sure are on the archive, but after that I might indiscriminately tackle a couple of the smaller fandoms I used to be in.

• Witnessed x 1
  9. LadyNighteyes

I'm sure that if/when it does go down, AO3/OTW will put out an official policy statement. It is murkier territory to back up random strangers' fic than going through archive admins like the OTW's Open Doors Project does, but they do have established policies for authors to get control of their work if it was imported from another site.

• Useful x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

personally I'd say it's more akin to a burning building - preservation first, sort out the details second. unfortunately I won't have the time to do much archiving of my own this weekend so I hope this thing doesn't turn into a pumpkin quite yet.

• Agree x 3
  11. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

my sister has an account on ff.net so I send her scurring and might try and see if i can copy-paste over some stuff as well.

12. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Anyone who has seen NOPE please tell me if I can slide into your dms and ramble about xenobiology because BOY OH BOY did that pretty thing give me a lot to ramble about I love it so much

13. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Thinking about folk horror again and wondering if there are any folk horror movies besides Candyman and Rosemary's Baby that take place in cities. I know rural locations are considered a staple in folk horror because isolation is a key factor, but you can be mentally/emotionally isolated. Like when Rosemary shares her concerns and is dismissed by her husband about what's going on. Urban legends to me count as a type of folklore, there should be more movies about them.

• Agree x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

It isn't coming out of the same tradition, but have you looked into East Asian horror at all? J-horror is the most famous (and, for instance, the house in Ju-on is smack in the middle of Tokyo), but there are also pretty well-established horror cinema traditions in Korea, Thailand, and Malaysia.

(...though thinking about that also reminded me how much I want someone to make a survival horror video game that uses the Fatal Frame plot formula of "oops you're lost in the insanely cursed and incredibly haunted dead zone where people used to do rituals around a portal to hell," except somebody saw that big empty patch of land that no one wanted and bought it up to build a shitty mall.)

• Agree x 2
  15. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Cleaning's got way beyond me so I'm taking my savings and searching out a local deep-cleaner to help me get stuff under control. I can keep the ferrets clean but not the rest of the flat and the worse it gets the less equipped I am to do anything, so I need to get help before it gets worse.

• Witnessed x 3
  16. LadyNighteyes

For anyone who didn't hear yet, FictionPress says it was a temporary outage which occurred because of Covid staffing problems and has been fixed. Personally, I am inclined to treat this less as their intended message of "the building is no longer on fire" and more as "the sprinkler system is now functioning."

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  17. Wormwitch

I think my hard drive is getting ready to go. Computer keeps crashing on me. I've had it and the monitor for almost a decade now. Maybe it's time to replace them both.

• Witnessed x 2
  18. Wormwitch

Going to restore the computer to factory settings and see if that fixes it.

• Witnessed x 2
  19. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

In Overwatch, Junkrat's hair is perpetually smouldering, and he's Aussie. Was he an intentional reference to the Australian "Dumb Ways to Die" train safety campaign, with the jingle that opens with "set fire to your hair"?

• Like x 1
  20. Wormwitch

Was walking to the store when I saw a food truck in the parking lot and walked over to see what they had because I hadn't eaten lunch yet. Ended up getting lobster grilled cheese and tater tots. Mmmm lobster

• Winner x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice