Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Called the hiring manager by the wrong name and he was really mad about it. Haha I don't think I'm getting the job. which might be a problem because I already gave notice for my first job.

• Witnessed x 5
  2. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I don't much care for the Goncharov phenomenon, like "everyone improvs a movie so hard it has a whole fandim" is cool and all that, but my problem with Goncharov is that it's not a movie I would watch or enjoy! I don't like really long depressing mafia movies! I don't watch Scorsese films! It's like when all my favourite video game fic authors moved to The Magnus Archives and/or C-Dramas.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  3. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Bring back squiddles, I guess.
    (For reference, a fake show the Homestuck fandom made up briefly)

4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

General question:
    Are the names
    • Scrungle
    • Mr Egg
    • Bing Bong
    Acceptable cat names? An employee at the shelter I volunteer at says they are weird. I actually got to name a kitten bing bong and it was adopted about as quickly as any other kitten. I even heard someone rename a cat soup.

• Winner x 6
  5. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

all perfectly acceptable Cat Names imo

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  6. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Scrungle strikes me as strange/more internet, but the other two I would giggle at but not think too weird for a shelter. Besides, shelter cats can always be renamed so idk why an adopter would be bothered

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  7. YggiDee

YggiDee Well-Known Member

I won't say there's never a bad cat name, (thinking of you, Lovecraft) but ridiculous nonsense names are good cat names. Food words or people names or nonsense sounds or "This is my cat Stacy, it's short for Sony Playstation 5", if you make a mouth noise and those around you know which cat you're talking about, it's probably good.

• Like x 3
    • Agree x 1
  8. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

The great Terry Pratchett offered this sage advice: "Never give a cat a name you would mind shouting out in a strained, worried voice around midnight while banging a tin bowl with a spoon. [...] The chosen name should also be selected for maximum carrying power across a busy kitchen when, e.g., a bag full of prime steak starts moving stealthily towards the edge of the table."

• Agree x 7
    • Useful x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  9. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Bothered to finally choose an icon now.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  10. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

The royal farms near me finally opened! :toot:

• Winner x 1
  11. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

Made some killer pasta salad for a party last night. ^_^

• Winner x 3
  12. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Love pasta salad, would you mind sharing the recipe?

• Agree x 2
  13. CarnelianCoyote

Um... didn't write down measurements. But it included bowtie pasta, red wine vinaigrette, sundried tomatoes packed in olive oil, sliced black olives, a small jar of capers, red/purple onion slivers, chopped cucumber, chopped red bell pepper, and goat cheese crumbles.

• Like x 3
    • Winner x 3
  14. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Been researching Kwanzaa for a fic and it's interesting, and it's reminded me to read and promote some more Black authors. I have some Jemisin and Butler I haven't got around to yet, anyone have any other appropriate SF/F recs?

• Agree x 1
  15. CarnelianCoyote

Struggling to get Christmas projects done. Much ambition, minimal energy.

• Witnessed x 4
  16. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Feel that. Also a material issue.

• Witnessed x 2
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

if I had a nickel for every time I got into a fandom about an unassuming sweetheart nerd with no social life who discovers he has a headmate who has strong connections to ancient Egyptian mythology and magic, who uses his divinely granted powers to deliver punishment to evildoers (many of whom also have some connection to the same ancient Egyptian myths), and who is extremely protective of said nerd and relies on him for emotional support, I would have two nickels. which isn't a lot. but. apparently I have a very specific type.

(I'm talking about yu-gi-oh and moon knight, btw)

• Informative x 5
    • Winner x 4
  18. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Figuring out how to manage certain issues autism gives me, one of them being horrible impulse control and problems keeping to budget. Experimented a bit today, and I can't keep track of how much stuff costs while I'm filling up the trolley, but the shop worker was nice about putting back things which went over the budget for me. It's easier for me to stick to a budget when I pay with cash, as I can see the amount in my hand, so in future I think I'll set a limit for spending money and take out cash before going into the shop. I'll probably get better at adding up items as I go with practice.

• Winner x 2
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Found a generator that sends you to a random fic on AO3. Sounds fun, I try it. Gets sent to a fic from the very first fandom I ever participated in, with the pairing that introduced the concept of slashfic to me. Unfortunately bad memories abound but it's still a fun idea! If you get a 404 linked it just means the work has been deleted so try more than once if that happens! Good luck:

https://perchance.org/wdvpluc9y2

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
  20. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

It's Christmas, so you know we need to bring back the demon tree!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice