Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Completely rearranged the kitchen and pulled the kitchen aid mixer out of the box for the first time in three years.

• Like x 7
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

Yay, new books for Xmas, happy dance. Need to find places to put them, of course. Ferrets happy with the snacks and new play tube toy we got them, but given that they go into raptures over finding a sock I wasn't too concerned about them being disappointed.

• Winner x 4
  3. Wormwitch

Looking for people to co-op with in genshin is nerve wracking because I hate interacting with people.

Looking at the profiles can be funny though. Just saw one that had a level one Tighnari in the showcase and their profile says ew Tighnari

Last edited: Dec 26, 2022
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Interesting thing I noticed today: our library has a copy of the fun house comic in our catalog, but it's kept on a very high shelf due to unfortunate alphabetizing

Edit: meant fun home, sorry

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  5. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

Last night was an emotional mess but I am feeling better after kitty cuddles and sleep.

Hello to the new year.

I am looking forward to visiting my youngest sib, going to my favorite con with my big sis, and hopefully getting some good art done.

I need to continue my disability application and find a shrink who isn't an asshole. Finding a way to cope better with being in my parents' house until I can safely get out would also be nice.

• Winner x 3
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Me playing any 1v1 fighter game: Don't actually fight me I just want to see the special move cutscenes

7. CarnelianCoyote

CarnelianCoyote Active Member

To the tune of Silver Bells:
    Little paws
    (The jingle-mouse it fears)
    Little paws
    (The perking of her ears)
    There's little paaaws on that kitty...

• Winner x 2
  8. Wormwitch

Having trouble getting in touch with the hiring manager to figure out when I'm supposed to start the job. Ahhhhhhh why is this guy never at the store??

• Witnessed x 3
  9. Wormwitch

Some people in genshin co-op are so rude.

• Witnessed x 2
  10. Wormwitch

Still haven't heard from the hiring manager, even though I called this morning and left my name and number. I was told originally I would start on Jan 3, but now I'm not sure what's happening. I ended up applying to two more stores just in case. Is this normal for stores to not bother reaching out?

• Witnessed x 2
  11. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Eeeh it depends? On a busy store in a big franchise stuff can get really fallen through the cracks - my sister had trouble with a newly opening starbucks like that where she was supposed to start working it but ended up doing like, one day of training and then they had so much trouble with the opening that she'd gotten another job by the time they got back to her. Generally I'd say it's a red flag for the management's organization but not like... catastrophic.

not gonna lie if it's close by i'd just show up and see if there's anyone on-site who knows what's going on but idk if that'd be considered rude or not

12. Wormwitch

At this point this has been going on for a month, and I'm just assuming I didn't get the job. I actually applied for the job in the beginning of December and received a call back on December 3. That was the only time the hiring manager actually called me. The rest of the time I was reaching out to him whenever he had said to check back. He gave me a prospective start date of Jan 3 but said to call him, but I couldn't get in touch with him. Called again today because I was told he'd actually be in the building, but was told he was in a meeting. The woman I spoke to took my info and said she'd pass it along and he'd call me. That was at 10:00 this morning and it's 7:30 now.

• Witnessed x 3
  13. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Is there a word for the emotion you feel when you realise the task you're doing has been done before by many of your ancestors and you feel warmly connected to those hundreds of generations throughout history?

Because I spent today hand sewing lace onto one of my mother's favourite garments while my cat purred in my lap, and I've a feeling that I'm not the only one in my bloodline who's experienced that comfortable work :)

• Winner x 5
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  14. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

I don't know if there's a word for that feeling but I feel you sO MUCH

I get that feeling when I'm walking on an old trail - there's a state park near me that has some plaques detailing how people used to use this trail to bring their items to market, and walking along it makes me feel their footsteps alongside mine.. there was a historical footpath between two english towns I took that gave me the same feeling. Sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the reality that 300,000 years of humanity have strived to make life better for the ones they love and I just feel overwhelmed with the connection... man, I get why a lot of neopagans balk at the ancestor worship aspect of some practices, I don't really want to honor the shitty colonialists in my bloodline, but when I think of it as the wider arc of humanity doing mundane, loving things to form the incredibly transformed world of today i'm just.... mmmm. humans, we're good sometimes, yknow?

• Agree x 3
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm not entirely sure what a sigma male is, but I think it's really funny when people use this one clip from American Psycho because they use it in the context of being impressed or agreeing with a statement or action that is "something a sigma male would do". It's funny because in the actual scene the main character (Patrick Bateman I believe, it's been a while) is making the faces as false agreeing because the other guy doesn't remember who he is and is making fun of him.

Edit: I think I'm confused about something, hang on

Edit edit: no, I was right

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

"Sigma male" is a weird manosphere thing, and IIRC is supposed to be a Rare Special Man Type who's outside the alpha/beta hierarchy. (I remember this because when it caught on, someone immediately dug up an omegaverse fic from a year before it was coined that used "sigma" to mean "bratty sub," causing much mirth.) I'm not even slightly surprised that someone who looked at the existence of people who clearly did not fit the weird categories they made up and concluded that the exceptions had magical Gary Stu powers rather than questioning the categories might be bad at understanding movies.

• Useful x 1
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Went and googled it on a whim, and to my astonishment, the forum Wrong Planet is still very active. Haven't been on since my teens

18. Wormwitch

I love Nicholas Cage

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I am so incredibly excited for that movie

20. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

omg that looks amazing

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice