Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Did this meme at my mom on accident earlier, telling her about the Grinch/ Horton hears a who theory on where Grinch was actually supposed to end up:

juicy.jpg

• Informative x 1
  2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Went to a ren faire Saturday and there was a whole booth dedicated to garlic, it was amazing! Ended up buying a whole jar of pickled garlic cloves in Italian spices

• Winner x 8
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

You know, when people ask if I read a lot (yes, always) and then proceed to ask what I read, I've just stopped giving a fuck when telling them Naruto fanfiction. Like. It's so freeing to just be cringe and let everyone know. I like Naruto fanfics. It's all I read, for like. Near every free moment I have, and it's fun and satisfying

• Winner x 5
  4. rats

rats 21 Bright Forge Shatters The Void

this is so valid. i read over 2 million words of fanfic last year and im tired of pretending that doesn't count as real reading god damn it

• Agree x 1
  5. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

be cringe and free!! i have been reading talking animal fiction, primarily children's talking animal fiction, night exclusively over the last year (except for one dragonriders of pern binge) and it has been very freeing to just be like 'yes i am reading wings of fire the dragon books for 9-12 year olds. they're really good.'

and frankly it's ridiculous that someone would think reading fanfiction is more cringe than me reading children's dragon books but i know those people are out there

• Winner x 2
  6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Those go through our catalog quite a lot! I've skimmed the comic versions before but not actually touched the series yet. We've got like three different patrons all putting them on hold from each other and it cracks me up, how they're all in a no contact book club.

• Like x 2
  7. theambernerd

oh yeah, i read them through my library and I had to wait in the hold queue for a few of them!! super popular with the kiddos, I got into it because I'm a warrior cats girlie until I die and all the 15 year olds in the warriors fandom are also obsessed with it now, they're making multi animator projects and everything! frankly impressed with all these teens tackling the challenge of animating dragons

8. theambernerd

ah also, the other connection is Tui Sutherland, the author of wings of fire, was a ghostwriter under Erin Hunter for a few years! She wrote the first Warriors Guidebook and half of the Seekers series about bears, which came out back when I was first hyperfixated on warriors, so I knew the ghostwriter names and recognized her name immediately the moment wings of fire started showing up more and was immediately curious how a former erin got their own original series into the same book sphere - Tui *absolutely* improved upon the Erin Hunter formula. Warriors is my darling baby thing that changed my brain chemistry at age 10, but it is admittedly mid and I recommend it to few who aren't previously engaged with it, whereas wings of fire i'd recc to any furry or person who is down for talking animal lit and won't turn their nose up at the target audience being children

• Winner x 1
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I had no idea! I fell out of the warriors fandom around the power of three section, just got tired of waiting for the next one when Naruto fucking absorbed me into it's bosom instead. I did have a huge crush on leafpool for ages though

10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I also read about halfway through a longfic about snowkit a while back and lost the tab and couldn't remember the name or author, nevermind the site I was using at the time.

• Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  11. theambernerd

a looooot of original readers fell off around Power of Three, it was coming out ~5-7 years after the series started so a lot of the people who first got super into it were getting to high school age, and... Iii'm of the opinion that TPOT is one of the weakest series. I'm reserving judgement until a reread since it's been a loong time but it definitely was changing tone from the first two series in some ways that just.. made it a natural drifting off point for a lot. I stopped reading mid-series 4 for a bit myself.. but then got back into it.. twice. and now i'm just stuck here forever, reading every book as it comes out

(if you want to refall down the rabbit hole or at least have some nostalgia time, there's an official graphic novel adaption of the first series coming out, the first volume comes out this month! it's drawn by a lesbian couple and it looks soooo so good!!! I'm so hyped!!!!!!)

leafpool is a valid crush though, she's a darling. she and mothwing are definitely the most common sapphic ship.

alas snowkit au fic is.... so so common, i cannot help you there.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice