Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

the video clip to show when someone's bein' a shit.

• Like x 1
  2. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

Okay, so update on the guy who the second message he ever sent me was to ask if I was male or female. A couple days ago I told him he was kinda boring because he hadn't really been saying anything of substance. Guess who said bye and isn't talking to me anymore? :P

• Like x 5
  3. TwoBrokenMirrors

TwoBrokenMirrors onion hydration

4. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Wait what. Those things can totally happen concurrently? Source: I searched my feelings. I know it to be true.

As a Christian I agree that that does seem like the type of ill-considered sentiment one might find in Christian media for children. Which is incredibly strange because did they just miss all the bits about fearing God?

• Like x 6
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Yeah i was raised by charismatics so there was a lot of "if you pray hard enough everything will be fine forever. If you're scared or angry or hurt you're not praying hard enough" which i now know to be ridiculous, but i definitely recognise the message.

• Like x 3
  6. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I grew up with Presbyterians and a bunch of postdenominational Evangelicals who were pretty much exactly as exciting as the Presbyterians. I can imagine both these groups cracking awful but good-natured jokes about their low charisma levels.

I sat through quite a few sermons and discussions with both groups that were basically extended repudiations of the idea of thought crimes, let alone emotion crimes. I suspect these reassurances would not have been repeated so much if the "not praying hard enough" mentality had not existed prominently within those communities as well. I appreciated the handling though.

• Like x 4
  7. leitstern

leitstern 6756 Shatter Every Sword Break Down Every Door

IMG_0441.JPG

I call this piece 'oh shit, NOW?'

• Like x 6
  8. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

Today I randomly remembered one of my favorite insults.

"You're not worth the carbon used to build you."

• Like x 4
  9. unknownanonymous

unknownanonymous i am inimitable, i am an original|18+

apparently there's gonna be a tv series adaption or something of dreamworks' spirit called spirit: riding free and i'm just...
    :ampora:

a confused :ampora:

• Like x 1
  10. The Frood Abides

The Frood Abides Doesn't Know Where His Rug Is

I've seen a number of Tumblr threads on the importance of the fact that many of the early famous superhero comics were written by Jewish people

the outsider-hero trope of Superman, the fervent anti-fascism of Marvel Comics, etc.

Reading Saladin Ahmed's "Creature and Servant" and Helene Wecker's The Golem and the Djinni kicked my brain down some weird alleys and got me thinking:

Is the superhero a kind of golem-tale?

You make it out of yourself, not out of clay. But you give it a name, it comes to life, and it protects your community from the evil that would destroy it. It has great power, but it might have secret weaknesses, or go berserk out of its creator's control.

I am a gentile and not a scholar of either Jewish folklore or superheroes, so I'm definitely not the first person to have this thought. I'd be interested in looking into it more.

• Like x 7
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

There's some Danny Phantom meta floating around that that reminds me of. Ghosts have their obsessions, the singular thing that drives them, and that suddenly sounds a lot like golems. And Phantom is a self-declared super hero.

• Like x 1
  12. unknownanonymous

ironically, butch hartman is as christian as they come :P

just look at his twitter

• Like x 1
  13. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Go figure!

• Like x 1
  14. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I PASSED MY BACHELOR'S THESIS

ok the mark is not great, but i passed, omg

• Like x 15
  15. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

A pass is a pass :D

Congratulations!

• Like x 1
  16. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

....spirit as in stallion of the cimarron? Because. I am worried but also kind of interested, especially if they keep the animation style of the movie.

• Like x 2
  17. unknownanonymous

yeah

it looks like they're making a horse girl show out of it. like, you know, the cliche of stories that focus on girls doing horse riding and friendship and bonding with their horses and learning a moral lesson. and like it's a modern day au, at least judging by what the girls were wearing in the promo image i saw. so i'm more worried.

18. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

wh
    nooo
    no come back, I want my historical horse drama, why this
    is spirit just magically immortal now like unless you have a time portal to the 1850s or Reincarnation Is Real I don't see?? how it could be connected to the original??? Got a link? "Spirit cartoon show" is only getting me the movie and I have not the brain this late for google-fu

• Like x 1
  19. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

whenever i read the phrase "horse drama" my mind instantly goes to darkhorseman

• Like x 1
  20. unknownanonymous

link to a wiki page about it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice