Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

I played recorder
    (I was... more passable at it than most of my class iirc. Mine didn't squeak.)

I never figured out how to do the mouth thing until two-ish years ago when someone taught me how to play horn on some PVC piping in a workshop on LARP music. I know it's a different mouth thing from the flute mouth thing but it's. A mouth thing.

I have a harmonica... I wonder if I could find some resources that are not awful happyhappy children's songs to learn to actually play it...
    (Same with alto/treble recorder. But that one's not here. Need to grab it the next time I'm at my parent's place...)

• Like x 1
  2. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

I bought an accordion. It's been sitting in my closet for months. I need to get around to learning to play it, but... ah, being lazy is so much easier!

• Like x 1
  3. emythos

emythos Lipstick Hoarding Dragon

i got roped into playing the recorder, sucked at it, and never played after third grade.

4. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

omg you should play the wheezebox

• Like x 2
  5. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

Now that the holiday rush is over at work, I actually have downtime. I'll probably look up stuff online to get started and maybe invest in lessons later? But lately I've just been playing Stardew Valley. Latest obsession and also trying to live in my happy world with my emo programmer husband instead of acknowledging the shit going down irl right now.

• Like x 1
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I never got the hang of embouchure. Maybe that's why I stopped playing the piano.

• Like x 8
  7. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

I played percussion in high school. It's a lot easier than most instruments, as long as you don't mind blisters all over your hands.

• Like x 1
  8. Starcrossedsky

Starcrossedsky Burn and Refine

I love perc and someday when I'm rich I'm gonna own a full set of handbells and no one can stop me.

• Like x 1
  9. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

Oh man I was part of a handbell... band? choir? troop? in church when i was in middle/high school! its a lot of fun tbh, very team-effort based since the melody travels through most of the players usually

• Like x 1
  10. lobo

lobo Fandom Trash

I was in percussion in middle school. Then I quit band in high school because middle school I had to be in a music program but I knew in high school if you were in band then that was your life. Like yeah, I didn't have much I was doing... but I didn't want to have to go to all of the sports events and sell chicken to raise money all the time. But percussion was fun. But now the biggest hurdle for accordion? I have to learn how to read pitch on music instead of just rhythm. What's a C? I don't know!

• Like x 2
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

?

12. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Not lobo, but if their music program was anything like the ones in my school, they probably did fundraising through selling food either at lunch periods or at football games. Our band had a partnership with a restaurant that did knock off chick fil a sandwiches, and the place I do catering for does mini burritos for a high school every week.

• Like x 1
  13. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

Family friend requested that I signal boost the B-movie her son has a part in! It's Demon Blood Rising, is on Amazon and stuff. He plays the comic relief.

• Like x 2
  14. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

Yet more Atlantis fodder? Even though it's in the wrong time period, if we wanna go whole hog conspiracy theorist there wouldn't need to be humans yet for Atlantis to exist.

In any case: hello yes science is neat and here is a proper journal article about rocks and continental drift shenanigans.

• Like x 1
  15. Birdy

Birdy so long

is the instrument discussion over cause I play french horn and it is the love of my life

man science is neat even if geology makes my eyes cross a little

• Like x 3
  16. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

maybe autocorrect for 'chocolate'? that was a common fundraising thing at my high school. I remember buying loads bc I had a crush on a classmate who was selling them

• Like x 1
  17. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

A fellow horn player! As much as I bitched about it I really really loved playing the horn (i only ever played trumpet because there were only 3 people in my HS band and trumpets get more melody). I miss playing it a lot now...

18. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

i'm wistfully imagining kids doing a fundraiser by going door to door with rotisserie chickens

• Like x 7
  19. Birdy

Birdy so long

haha the classic presentation of a horn player: you hate it until you're not playing it and then it's all you want to do

• Like x 3
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

All i know about the french horn is when i was growing up we had a fake one we used as decoration so i thought french horns werent real for some reason

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice