Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. SpruceZeus

SpruceZeus 2 spoopy 2 live, 2 creppy 2 die

the character creation in Dragon's Dogma is incredibly in depth, look at my bamf Arisen

also before i even left the tutorial i climbed on top of a manticore and hacked off its snake tail, and then the first thing that happened in the game proper was my character getting her still beating heart torn out of her chest and eaten by a dragon

so idk much abt this game and ive only just started but shit's lookin pretty good so far

2. SpruceZeus

this is absolutely hilarious to me for some reason i can't quite put my finger on

• Like x 3
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

this is my aesthetic

• Like x 1
  4. Lambda

Lambda everything happens so much

it looks like an animation and not a real video

maybe because I'd expect a washing machine to be too heavy for a trampoline to support

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

the average large capacity front load washer is between 155 and 230 pounds according to google, and i don't think that one's a large capacity one. those little trampolines are usually able to support 250 pounds at max, we've owned two or three in my lifetime and they're pretty sturdy iirc. it does look kind of like an animation though, maybe the fact that it's a washing machine with a brick in it on a baby trampoline breaks your suspension of disbelief? it is rather silly.

• Like x 2
  6. SpruceZeus

i think the absurdity is probably what's so funny about it

• Like x 2
  7. blue

blue hightown funk you up

So, I'm not old enough to be familiar with 70s-80s Philly politics (and not politically aware enough that it's likely I would be familiar even if I was older), but the Dollop just did an episode on former mayor Frank Rizzo, which led me to this amazing video:

In which he destroy's a reporter's camera, challenges three more to a fight, and accuses one of being an alcoholic, all the while calling them "crum-bum creeps" and telling them to make sure to get it all on camera.

How do people like this exist.

• Like x 2
  8. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

So, Ranma 1/2 is fucking old and the fandom is prolly super dead and I dunno how active it was even at its height. Sides, I spent a lot of time trawling the fan sites and stuff back when I was a wee little smeet, and don;t remember it being a fandom full of spectacular diversity and originality anyways. This is a bummer, because it means I will never see any decent Azusa/Ryouga, and I'm gonna tell you right now why that is a crying shame;

Azusa is a tiny cloud of hair on skates that hoards cute things and beats the shit out of people who get in between her and the stuff that she wants. She's a bratty little weirdo, but she seems to genuinely appreciate and take care of stuff that's "hers". Ryouga is an angry shouty kid who craves affection and approval and desperately needs someone who can look after him and make sure he doesn;t blunder his way halfway to china the next time he sets out to buy a snack from the corner store. He also turns into a pig. A pig Azusa immediately claims. And a pig who is still hers even when he's human. She recognizes him when he;s in his human form, and she still thinks he's hers and worth protecting. That's fucking hotdorable. I wanna see Ryouga being pampered, goddammit. I wanna write a fucking 20 chapter character building fic full of Ryouga being pampered and Azusa doing some growing up and good things for Ryouga, goddammit. Tiny doms to dress him in pretty clothes and love him unconditionally.

• Like x 2
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

oh man, i miss reading ranma 1/2. in fact i'm pretty sure takahashi's works in general were pretty foundational for establishing a lot of my tastes in things. did you ever get into maison ikkoku? it's a lot more slice of life than fantasy stuff like inuyasha and ranma but i really liked it. iirc it's just a whole lot of misunderstandings between two dorks and includes a cast of other really interesting people.

10. tinyhydra

tinyhydra a dingus

I hadn't heard of it before! It looks really interesting, tho. I was mostly into Ranma with a few forays into Inuyasha. Prolly cause the main characters were closer to me in age, yunno? Getting older makes stuff with older casts look less foreboding.

• Like x 1
  11. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Man. Every time I think of Ranma 1/2, all I can think is "dammit, I want a way to switch like that."

• Like x 5
  12. blue

a strange conversation:

My mom, holding the dill pickle chips, to my dad: Would you mind - leaving the rest of these for me?
    My dad: Sure.
    My mom: (pours some salt and vinegar chips on her plate)
    Me: Hey! (pauses) (becomes embarrassed by defensiveness of chips) Would you, uh, heh, would you mind leaving the rest of those for me?
    My mom: Sure. I wasn't going to eat that many of them anyway, they're too salty.
    My mom: I'd never come in here and finish a bag of chips.
    Me: ..??
    Me: What if the bag of chips was almost empty?
    My mom: I don't have that late-night meal you guys have.
    Me: (variations on ?? and 'but what if there were only a few chips left')
    My mom: (holds firm) I would never come in here and finish a bag of chips.
    Me: It seems that you mean something different by "I would never come in here and finish a bag of chips" than the standard English definition.
    My mom: (looks at me strangely) What?
    Me: I mean, you're including some context that I'm not g- what if the bag was almost empty??
    My mom: (walks away shaking her head)
    Me: (to my dad) I wasn't making NO sense, was I?
    My dad: (silently shakes his head)
    Me: I mean, you see what I was getting at?
    My dad: (silently nods)

13. swirlingflight

She would deny herself chips rather than finish off the bag...?

14. blue

I have no idea! I think maybe she was just subtextually condemning the fact that my dad and I 1) go through snack foods WAY faster than her and sometimes finish stuff before she gets to it 2) eat snack foods late at night - and forgot to make the actual text make sense, haha.

• Like x 1
  15. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

Does "would you mind leaving the rest of these for me" have some kind of colloquial meaning or something? Because it's (a) striking me as a weird thing to say in general, so I'm wondering if it's just A Phrase that I'm not familiar with; and also (b) the literal meaning implies that your mom did originally intend to finish a bag of chips and I am further confused by this

• Like x 1
  16. blue

Oh - she was saying it to my dad, presumably to stake a claim on the rest of the dill pickle chips. And then I got defensive over the other chips (my immediate reaction internally was like "no! mine!") and felt silly about it so I repeated what she had said in an attempt to lampshade my chip-possessiveness, even though she wasn't going to finish them in the first place. There's no particular prior association.

• Like x 1
  17. swirlingflight

Yeah, that's a point of weirdness too. If I assume she was doing the bitter, sarcastic subtext bullshit that my mom does, then it would all translate to:

"Would you mind leaving me the rest of these chips? You always finish them before I get many, so apparently I have to ask you outright, making me the bad guy here. I wouldn't finish a bag of chips, or any other food, without being sure everyone had a chance to have some. But I guess that's too much to ask of you guys. Don't worry, it's fine. Just fine. Everything's fiiiiine. Even the part where you don't hear what I'm obviously saying in the spaces between words, just fine."

But I don't want to project that much of my mom onto yours, especially on so little info.

• Like x 1
  18. oph

oph There was a user here, but it's gone now

Oh! I somehow missed that there were two different bags of chips in play. It still sounds weird to me, but maybe I'd be less thrown by it all if I was there

19. blue

@swirlingflight I'm starting to think that was more or less the subtext and that we were talking past each other because I was missing it, but to be fair, she didn't say it very bitterly or unkindly, and my dad and I are notorious snack devourers. (We used to have to hide anything sweet from him cuz he has hypoglycemia and bad impulse control with sweets*, while my mom will buy a box of cookies and eat it increeeeedibly sloooowly.)

*Once I thought we had chocolate chips, and was excited to make cookies, but discovered that he had eaten the chocolate chips. I was sad about this because I'd been looking forward to cookies, and he felt bad and went and got a new bag from 7/11. About a week later I finally went to make the cookies only to discover that he had eaten the apology chocolate chips.

• Like x 1
  20. blue

So, tl;dr, I think she meant something like that but I'm actually glad to have it cleared up rather than being annoyed at her. XD

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice