Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. blue

blue hightown funk you up

wow, that washing machine looks like it has just broken physics

2. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

• Like x 1
  3. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

here's my favorite picture ever

2016-11-17 17.15.11.png

my favorite youtube video ever

and a cat, because everyone needs the occasional cat. (she's fine. no brain problems at all. she just likes doing this)

16998205_1901512800081128_1120722188579862116_n.jpeg

• Like x 8
  4. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

upload_2017-3-1_1-22-33.png
    I knew I saw the Tumblr anti mentality somewhere else

5. Sethrial MacCoill

WHAT'S UP SOCIALLY AWKWARD PEEPS!
    Today Roachpatrol did a thing called Together Tuesday where she used her enormous platform to help like minded people who share hobbies to find each other and hopefully build friendships. As an extension of that and with her permission I've made a discord channel for said people to meet up and talk more easily. (lookin' at you, tumblr ask system.) It's an open, non-judgemental place to come, talk about your hobbies, and meet new people without going outside! If you feel like checking it out or are even just curious, please feel free to come say hi. It's pretty empty right now because the channel has existed for all of an hour.

https://discord.gg/tzeSHRN

• Like x 6
  6. Down with popular people!

• Like x 1
  7. Sethrial MacCoill

lol same

• Like x 1
  8. Note to self- find out what "Heathers" is.

9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

@tickingnectarine 80s black comedy about popular cliques. It's screamingly hilarious, but dark as hell. Very dead dove.

• Like x 1
  10. and dead dove means... dark? right?

11. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Kinda. It's like... Blanket tw for disturbing possibly triggering content that doesn't get apologized for.

• Like x 2
  12. Hmm. Okay, good to know. Thank you.

13. Sethrial MacCoill

I have a question for a biologist. I know that some caterpillars have eye spots on their back end and was always told it was so that predators would mistake that for their head and aim for that first. Two questions: 1. is that true, and if so, 2. what would happen if a caterpillar missing its butt pupated?

14. (what's it called when your aesthetic is half midcentury and half 90's retro?)

15. Sethrial MacCoill

I don't know if there's actually a name for it, but I would call it rad af

• Like x 4
  16. I just found this sweet tumblr with retro tech from like the 60s through late 80s, but it's just great, actual decade be damned. http://formicapunk.tumblr.com/

• Like x 2
  17. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

• Like x 6
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I will try to answer later today if I find some relevant info

EDIT: Alright, did some poking around, it seems that people think that the eyespots are more to mimic the head of a predator (e.g. a snake), which might decrease the chances of something messing with a caterpillar with eyespots. There's been a few studies that seem to indicate that birds, at least, are more reluctant to interact with something that has eyespots in a place that matches where eyes would be on the head of a snake. Similarly, a lot of caterpillars have a thickening at their rear end that can also contribute to the illusion of "snake head", and birds also react differently to those kinds of shapes. So it seems like it's probably not to make them attack the wrong end, but to make them less likely to attack altogether (which is probably better for survival).

In regards to the second part, I'm honestly not sure! I imagine most would not survive a very severe wound, but if they did? Metamorphosis might not be affected, given that it is an extensive remodeling process that causes huge morphological changes in an organism.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
    • Like x 2
  19. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

So, apparently, the definitions for some SI units are going to be changed. One of them is the mole, which will be defined by Avogadro's constant.
    Except Avogadro's constant is defined as the number of things in one mole.
    So, it sounds like the definition is going to be "One mole is equal to one mole".
    What.

• Like x 4
  20. Ipuntya

Ipuntya return of eggplant

...where did you read this

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice