Fishin' in the stream of consciousness (all-purpose, no topic chat thread)

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by Wiwaxia, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

whoa, thats neat! not a slime mold then... i wonder what it is.

2. winterykite

winterykite Non-newtonian genderfluid

you, me, and the tabletop crew both. They were quite disturbed that it glitters, and is gold-colored. I suggested carrying it over to the biologists and asking them what it is.

• Like x 4
  3. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

All that glitters is not slime mould.

• Like x 12
  4. budgie

I found a ringtone that's a blackbird call, and I'm torn between adopting it because it's so great or refraining from annoying the crap out of everyone around me.

@winterykite Has the Mystery of the Glittery Slime been solved?

• Like x 1
  5. Wormwitch

Wormwitch I'm building a squishmallow army!

Is the book In A Different Key any good? The description on the book makes it sound less cringey than other books about autism. I just don't want to buy it only to be disappointed.

6. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Mmmm, I read it, and it didn't stand out as terrible to me, but I also do not feel qualified to make that judgement (I am, as far as I know, not autistic). I found it very interesting to read and I think it treated the subject well (or at least a LOT better than most media). Maybe check your library, if you have access? I borrowed it through my library's online ebook database.

• Like x 1
  7. winterykite

Not yet!
    Although after closer inspection, it appears what looks like gold foil is some kind of beaded yellow liquid.

• Like x 1
  8. winterykite

Two hours of googling have revealed the following suspects:
    Aspergillus Nidulans (similar colouration sometimes, but the pictures are bad)
    Penicillium Citrinum (visible yellow beads)
    Penicillium Chrysogenum/Notatum (also visible yellow beads)

This page here identifies the yellow beads as a sort of exudate.

Also, the image search shows knit caps, which have a superficially similar structure to petri dish penicillium.

eta: Penicillium Glandicola is also a possibility. By this time I'm pretty sure it's a Penicillium, they tend to have the exudate which Aspergillus tends not to have, like, at all.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Like x 2
  9. I tried a protein bar yesterday. It was really dense. Why so dense.

10. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

I stick to the fiber one cookies and cream bars. Only 6g protein, but the cookie chunks break up the texture.

11. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    • Like x 6
  12. Snitchanon

Snitchanon What's a mod to a nonbeliever.

Where there's a will, there's a whey.

• Like x 8
  13. Maybe I should just stick to jerky and cashews and stuff. Mainly I'm just trying to get off sugar and replace it with more protein but I need to figure out a way to make that happen, and I have one heck of a sweet tooth.

14. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

I found a recipe for cold-brew coffee, and this is mildly worrying:
    tumblr_ona06eVkAH1sgmib2o1_1280.jpg
    The grounds start out floating and then they sink to the bottom as they absorb water. In this case, they seem to have gotten jammed at the top of the bottle and formed a watertight seal somehow.

• Like x 3
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Eggs are a great source of protein if you can stand em. I dont have anything helpful for the sugar stuff except a little dark chocolate is good for you if you like it

• Like x 3
  16. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

If the blending of salty and sweet doesn't bother you, you might try a mix of nuts and dried berries - gives you some sweet with protein too. A lot of natural food stores will have several different combinations of this in their bulk bins, which is the cheapest way to get it, ime.

If you have the spoons, you can also make your own protein bars with mixes like that, granola, and corn syrup. And protein powder, if you want the extra protein.

• Like x 1
  17. I'm trying to avoid sugar entirely, if I can, so trail mix is out. I appreciate the suggestion though.

18. budgie

What type? I find the Quest bars are super dense, but the Clif Builders are reasonable. (ymmv, obviously)

19. Tfw you accidentally get someone nilla wafers instead of necco wafers

• Like x 1
  20. budgie

Does anyone happen to have that screenshot of Belle with her book open singing to sheep (? or a goat?) that's been captioned "Let me tell you about Homestuck"? I attempted to google it but to no avail.

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice