Food and Drink! (Recipes and concoctions.)

Discussion in 'Make It So' started by The J, Oct 1, 2015.

1. The J

The J 16-layer Fightme Dip

Channel your inner granny and post your favorite recipes here.

They have to be edible, for a certain value of edible.

Once I've found my recipe file, I'll post my own.

2. littlepinkbeast

littlepinkbeast Imperator Fluttershy

NORMANDY APPLE TART (AKA BUCK CAKE PIE)

Pastry
    1 ½ cups flour
    2 tablespoons sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 stick butter
    3 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon water

Filling
    4 cups sliced apples (or so)
    ½ cup brown sugar
    ¼ cup flour
    nutmeg
    1 cup whipping cream

Mix together flour, sugar, and salt; cut in butter until well blended, lumps no bigger than peas. Add egg yolks and water, blend well, knead until smooth. Pat with fingers into 9-inch piepan, fluting edges to stand up around pan. Toss sliced apples with flour and sugar, place in pastry. Bake at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes; add cream, bake 30 minutes longer until pastry is golden and apples tender. Cool before serving.

• Like x 2
  3. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

Weird request but.. anyone know of any HIGH salt low spoons recipes I could partake in? Doctors orders that I'm on a crazy high level of salt in my diet for my POTS, and because of that most recipes wind up tasting the same to me. 8I; Like tongue burning or like over seasoned popcorn, which is currently my main salt intake method since capsules upset my stomach and ramen makes me ill from the oil and the noodles over time... (to get an idea of how much salt, think adding an extra seasoning packet, salt and soy sauce to ramen and still needing a bit more to reach the level I'm supposed to.)

4. The J

@TheMockingCrows

Brined Eggs.

1½ cups sea salt
    6½ cups boiling filtered water
    12 large fresh eggs
    1 inch fresh ginger, thinly sliced
    2 whole star anise
    1 tablespoon whole Sichuan peppercorns
    3 dried chilies
    3 whole garlic cloves, slightly smashed
    2 tablespoons rice wine

1. Clean a tall, 2-quart jar and its lid. Find a disposable plastic lid (like from restaurant takeout or a plastic yogurt container) that is about the same diameter as the jar; wash it carefully and drain.

2. In a large pitcher or bowl, dissolve the sea salt with the 6½ cups boiling filtered water. Allow the water to cool down completely to room temperature before proceeding. (You don't want to cook the eggs at this point; they must be brined while they are raw.)

3. Gently lower the eggs one by one into the jar; toss out any that are cracked and use others egg, if you have extra. Add the ginger, anise, peppercorns, chilies, garlic cloves, and rice wine to the jar, and then fill it up with the salted water to about 1 inch from the top; toss out any extra salt water.

4. Squeeze the plastic lid into the jar so that it holds down the eggs and keeps them submerged in the brine. It's all right if the lid is at an angle, as the only thing that matters is that the eggs are under the water.

5. Cover the jar and place it in a cool place. Check one egg after about 3 weeks by cracking it into a bowl. The yolk should be hard and a dark orange, while the white will be clear and very salty. If the egg is cured enough, remove the rest of the eggs from the brine and store them in a closed container in the refrigerator until you want to use them; they are best within a couple of weeks. If they haven't cured completely, continue to brine the eggs, testing them every couple of days.
    6. Eggs that are not to be eaten within a couple of weeks should be hard boiled. To hard boil these eggs, just prick the round end of the shell with a pin or tack, place in a pan of cool water, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. (Doing it this way will reduce the chance of the shells cracking.) Simmer the eggs for about 10 minutes, cool, and peel when you want to eat them.

5. TheMockingCrows

TheMockingCrows Resident Bisexual Lich

... oh my lord those sound -glorious- *o*

6. The J

Buttermilk Pie

• 2cups sugar
    • 1⁄2cup butter, room temperature
    • 4tablespoons flour
    • 3eggs, slightly beaten
    • 1cup buttermilk
    • 1 1⁄2teaspoons vanilla
    • 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
    SHRUG. Apparently I don't have the directions for this one, but it seems pretty simple so I'll granny it for you.

Blend together butter, flour and sugar.
    Add buttermilk eggs and vanilla
    Pour it into crust. Or onto yourself. I don't kinkshame.

Bake at 325 for... An hour. Treat it like a cake and toothpick that shit. When it comes out clean, it's done.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Like x 1
  7. strictly quadrilateral

strictly quadrilateral alive, alive, alive!

@The J is that like....pancakes in pie form, or.....?

8. The J

It's kinda like custard.

I recommend dusting the top with sugar and candied lemon.

9. strictly quadrilateral

I might have to try it next time I bake something, then.

10. The J

Speaking of, here's my recipe for candied lemon peel:

1. Cut six lemons into slices about 1/4 inch thick and remove the fruit pulp. Cut the rings in half so the peels are in long strips.
    2. Bring water and lemon peel to a boil in a small pan. Drain water, and repeat with fresh cold water. Repeat the boiling step three times to remove bitterness. Drain and set peels aside.
    3. Combine 2 cups fresh water with 2 cups sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Reduce heat to low and stir in peels; simmer until the white pith is translucent. Store peels in syrup, refrigerated, to keep them soft, or allow them to dry. Toss dry candied peels in additional sugar and store airtight at room temperature.

11. strictly quadrilateral

Oh, lemon peel. I don't really like citrus peels, do you know if there's a way I could get a similar taste without the texture/weird non-chewiness?

12. The J

@Bel Capricorn

Honestly, you can do the same thing with just about any whole fruit, too.

I'll do some experimenting, see if I can't get orange or lemon wedges to candy.

Addendum: You could also grate the dried peels and mix it with sugar to have lemonsugars. this should remove the texture issue.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
    • Like x 1
  13. Meagen Image

Meagen Image Well-Known Member

Since we're getting into the cold season up in the Northern Hemisphere, I recommend a traditional Polish remedy for the sniffles: Black tea with honey and a dash of nalewka. The tea warms you up, the honey soothes itchy throats, and the alcohol helps kill all the nasty germs. :)

If you don't have access to tradional Polish medicinal infusions, you can replace it with fruit jam and a dash of rum or brandy.

And if you prefer white or green tea, you can use that too! Experiment with fruity/alcoholic additions until you find something that's easy to make and tastes good. My current favourite is a large mug of white tea/strawberry/aloe blend, with a spoonful or two of generic supermarket honey, and half a shot of Malibu white rum.

Stay warm and take care of yourselves!

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice