Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Many things are superior to Christmas pudding.

• Agree x 4
  2. palindromordnilap

Please tell me people putting orange juice in couscous isn't actually a thing.

3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

I mean.... I've not seen it, but I don't see why not? Any liquid is fine in the war with nutrition, as long as it is sufficiently hot to make the couscous do the thing.
    It needs to fit with the dish, sure, but given I've made couscous with almond milk for no real reason other than 'mh vegan dessert what are my options' before, it's not like it wouldn't work.

4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I think it's quite common as a substitute for apricot in vaguely-Moroccan-inspired dishes, especially a few years ago when dried apricots were a speciality health food item.

• Informative x 2
  5. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I have a nice recipe for olive citrus couscous that does indeed use a mix of water and orange juice. It's a matter of how you spice and use it, but it tastes totally fine.

• Winner x 1
  6. IvyLB

excuse me they were a what?
    (dried apricots have just... always been available here afaik? Atleast around crimmus? You need yer sweet meats for baking, yo.)

• Agree x 5
  7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

See when I was growing up, raisins, sultanas and currants were all common in supermarkets and local shops, as were glace cherries, but apricots came in tins of syrup. Dried apricots were the province of health fanatics and therefore you had to go to a health food store where you could find them in weird crinkly packaging alongside the carob-coated peanuts and musty packets of green tea.

Thank god things have moved on, but I still live far enough in the sticks that tahini is treated like some kind of ~exotic~ product that certain dickheads store managers refuse to stock. (Not at all bitter about my ex-manager. Not at all.)

• Witnessed x 3
  8. IvyLB

whispers
    whats the point in a food store that doesn't stock tahini and every kind of dried fruit known to mankind

• Agree x 1
  9. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I had dried apricots in regular grocery stores when I was a kid (but not tahini) so I think that's a regional thing maybe? (I'm us south)

• Agree x 1
  10. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Funny enough it's the dried currants I can only find in specialty stores (US inland PNW)

• Agree x 1
  11. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

not sure about red currants, but blackcurrant plants can carry a fungus that american trees are vulnerable to so that's apparently why they're hard to find in the US (i v much enjoy blackcurrant drinks in the uk and was curious why they werent in the USA, cursory googling got this info)

• Informative x 3
  12. IvyLB

I believe in some US states owning black currant plants can be straight up illegal due to that fungus and I am so sorry for y'all bc cassis is some of the best shit ever.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 2
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Question: which m and m candy tastes better, the minis in the tube or regular?

1. Minis
    2. Regular size
    3. Both are same
    4. Wtf are you talking about

14. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

same taste but minis are more Pleasing bc Devour Tiny Peasants Like A Rampaging Dragon

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  15. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Minis all the way.

• Agree x 4
  16. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Exactly what Loq said. Also, minis make it easier to waterfall into your mouth which is the most fun I have with food.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  17. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

5th answer: smarties (the nestle kind that are essentially m&ms)

• Agree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  18. palindromordnilap

Specifically, mini Smarties.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  19. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Peanut M&Ms you Peasants. You FOOLS.

• Witnessed x 2
    • Informative x 1
  20. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

okay, will admit cracking chocolate shell off peanuts is pretty satisfying, but then..... you have peanuts........

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice