Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I took a quick trip down google lane and learned the difference between red beans and rice and what I think of when I hear beans and rice. The former makes a lot more sense as a full meal, but even a 'meal-sized' portion of just the latter wouldn't feel like a proper meal to me. I think it's the presence of a sauce/gravy that makes the difference to me.

• Agree x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

gdi now i want a whole bowl of the giant white beans in tomato sauce the greek restaurant across from my parents does.

• Witnessed x 1
  3. Okay. If you eat [food] by itself and a drink, is that a complete meal? If yes, it can be a main dish. If not, it’s a side.

Fries and a drink isn’t a meal, but a good burger and a drink can be.

• Informative x 1
  4. theambernerd

theambernerd dead to all sense of shame

my extremely sad working-at-a-childrens-attraction lunch breaks disagreed with you
    (we had 75% discount on food, I could get fries and a lemonade for a dollar, so that was my lunch. every day. for months)

• Witnessed x 4
    • Agree x 1
  5. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Disagree, anything can be a complete meal if there's enough food to satisfy you

• Agree x 4
  6. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I feel like anything can be had AS a side, like a side salad versus a salad thats a meal bc its made with One Whole Romaine Heart For Me, Specifically

• Agree x 2
  7. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Counterpoint: fries with Stuff On is still very much a meal. Chili-cheese fries in vast enough quantities is a meal for many.

• Agree x 4
  8. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

I feel like the interplay of flavour has something to do with it too; one-note dishes aren't a meal. Steamed cauliflower is a side, steamed cauliflower in bechamel and black pepper could be a meal. Similarly, plain chips are not a meal, but a poke of chips drenched in salt, vinegar and sauce of choice is (brown sauce, or for proper nostalgia, a mix of brown and red sauce).

Edit to add: Proper British chippy chips, not those limp strings of French fries.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

A poke?

10. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

From my understanding, a cone

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

:psyduck:

• Agree x 1
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Like a paper cone??? I've literally never heard of fries in a cone

13. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

paper cone what you can carry, kinda like fair food?

14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ime fair food usually comes in these:

[​IMG]

Edit: and fries too, they're called fry baskets

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    • Agree x 1
  15. Bunny

Bunny aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Poke of chips can be a cone or like, a little folded paper baggy. Made of newspaper for preference.

• Informative x 2
  16. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

I had to get yogurt today and it brought this to mind but

does anyone else go through a period where like. Normal yogurt has an abominable mouthfeel? like I like yogurt but once in a while i will put it in my mouth and immediately feel like 'this is not something that should be in my mouth at all'

like i was so 'mmh don't need to go through that today' that i bought the whipped yogurt cause i need to know i will eat it.

• Agree x 4
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

That's why I only get whole milk yogurt, the creaminess makes the texture less weird. Doesn't work with the cream on top stuff tho

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I don't like the texture of non-greek yogurt... too gloopy (unless it's those whipped yogurts)

• Agree x 1
  19. Queer Disaster

Queer Disaster existing

i'll have to try some! it's not an always thing but better to know what is always a food compared to 'this is only sometimes actually edible.'

• Like x 1
  20. All I know is true Greek yogurt is disgusting and I don't like it.

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice