Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

Can you explain how onion is a spice? Onion powder sort of is, but honestly I see it more as substituting for real onions to get the flavor when you don't have actual onions or where the actual structural aspects of them would be inappropriate in a dish?

• Agree x 2
  2. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

This is fully based on my musings that if i had to like construct a dish from scratch by choosing limited amounts from categories Protein Source, Vegetable/Fruit, Carb and could add as many spices as I wanted I would class onion as a spice, not a vegetable bc for me onion and garlic are... seasonings mainly. Liberally applied seasonings that make up the basis for a shitton of my cooking because i'm a gremlin person and luv that bulb. like bear's leek is a seasoning too, even if the leaves are bigger than spinach in a lot of cases. idk. Maybe because I feel like onion is Mainly There For Taste and goes in many dishes without being like mentioned as a Featured Vegetable?

• Informative x 1
  3. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

imo they're a fritter, if they're anything other than a deep fried veg

fritter vs dipped-and-fried item is probably established by the volume of carb to not-carb

• Agree x 3
  4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Aww man, now I want corn fritters

How do funyuns rank, seeing as they're a fake chip version of an onion ring

5. Lebesgue Integreat

Lebesgue Integreat Lesbian Intrigue

I'd call them exactly what you just did, a chip.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

'Knabberzeug' which is what Germany rates everything from crackers over chips to those things under.

• Informative x 4
    • Useful x 1
  7. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

:o!

• Agree x 1
  8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Funyuns are too crisp to be a donut; donuts are fried but they have an essential soft center.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. Briar

Briar Well-Known Member

aw darn I want corn fritters too now

• Like x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Spicy salsa cheese cornbread, yes or hell yes?

• Winner x 1
  11. sirsparklepants

...that's too many add ins

• Agree x 3
  12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

That was my thought, seems like it would be very wet?

• Agree x 4
  13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Nope! You don't need much of either add in to make it taste so it doesn't change the texture much.

Although, maybe baking it in a skillet helps? That's the way we've always done it, going on four generations now

Edit: and the salsa is more of a picante sort of thing, not regular salsa

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    • Informative x 2
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Thoughts?

• Informative x 1
  15. sirsparklepants

Not the worst idea I've ever seen. I'd try it on toast maybe.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
  16. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Look what monstrosity culinary science hath brought into this world

I am intrigued, and yet horrified and repulsed

• Witnessed x 3
    • Agree x 1
  17. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

okay but like lightly smoked watermelon with the smoke mostly coming from herbs sounds really good? like don't bother with the meat texture and carving bullshit, just do something fun.
    incidentally someone restrain me from trying to find melon in early march for the purpose of smoking it with cherry woodchips and rosemary and lavender

• Like x 1
  18. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i feel like vegan/vegetarian stuff does so much better when it’s not trying to be a meat replacement
    when i was veg i got lot more enjoyment out of stuff that was playing up the qualities of the ingredients themselves than trying to mimic the taste and texture of ham or whatnot

also ivy if you try that you are contractually obligated to share results, i’m so curious

• Agree x 10
  19. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

I’ve noticed that a lot of vegan attempts to fake certain meat food end up so focused on the texture and appearance that the taste falls to the wayside. Which is frustrating! Vegan dishes are really good when, like, flavor is taken into account, goddamn.

You don’t have to trick people into eating Good Food, just make it good in the first place.

• Agree x 10
  20. sirsparklepants

The only Vegan Replacement I've ever actually liked was this stuff that they made when I worked at a vegan cafe: cashew sour cream. It did actually taste kind of like sour cream, it was good! The eggplant "bacon" was good but that's just because it was sliced thin and baked low with brown sugar and spices, it didn't taste like bacon just like delicious eggplant crunch.

I really do like a lot of vegan food but people put so much effort into making it look a certain way sometimes that it just gets gross and weird.

(I do kind of want to try low smoked herb watermelon though)

• Like x 3
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice