Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

My problematic fave is a Fry's Turkish Delight

• Like x 1
  2. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Twiiiix. or Kitkat. I just like my candy bars in pairs.

• Agree x 1
  3. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Snickers for best chocolate bar, Watermelon Sour Patch Kids for best fruity/sour, and jawbreakers overall.

Specifically the jawbreakers so large you can’t fit them in your mouth.

4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

Reese’s are my favorite, if they count as a candy bar. If not, probably Twix or almond joy

5. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

violet crumble is good and i haven't seen one since moving away from Washington

6. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

My Fred Meyer still carries them!

• Like x 1
  7. chthonicfatigue

Recipe: add a teaspoon of mayonnaise to your chocolate mug cake to keep it moist!

Me, physically recoiling from the screen: WHAT NO

• Agree x 3
    • Witnessed x 1
  8. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

This functionally amounts to adding a bit of extra fat (oil, butter or whatever), egg and vinegar. I'm not sure if the vinegar would be a good idea, but the two others are probably pretty good for a cake.
    (though I wouldn't recommend mayonnaise for this purpose, since it probably includes stuff like mustard because otherwise it tastes like basically nothing)

• Informative x 1
  9. palindromordnilap

palindromordnilap Well-Known Member

Apparently, the idea is that vinegar and the tiny bit of mustard (which isn't there that often in US-made mayo, and apparently technically makes it a rémoulade) actually go really well with chocolate. I'm kind of willing to believe this given that chocolate was originally paired with red pepper, but... It still just feels wrong.

10. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

i have had people try to sell me on the mayonaise cake before and listen. NO. Just. NO.

11. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

A red velvet recipe I have done had vinegar and tasted just fine.

12. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Vinegar is not a particularly weird cake ingredient, I used it I think in a chocolate cake recipe before? It doesn't make your cake taste like vinegar. I forget the point of putting it in but there was one.

Mayo in the US is sold as both adulterated (Sriracha, ranch, lemon-dill, etc.) and unadulterated, so a plain mayo is just gonna be your basic egg-oil emulsion and it can be used in some cases as a sub for oil or eggs or other things. I agree the idea is a bit off putting, but the outcome wouldn't be so weird.

• Agree x 2
  13. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Might be for leavening? Like, using vinegar and extra baking soda instead of baking powder.

• Agree x 1
  14. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

i’ve seen some ppl use mayo in cakes and APPARENTLY it turns out fine, but maaan, when i want extra moist cake i just put pudding mix in

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. chthonicfatigue

Why would I use mayo when I have perfectly good cream

Or coconut oil, or butter, or milk, or cheese, fuckin anything which isn't just going to congeal into semi-translucent jellified yack

Put mayo on sandwiches, chips, on your damn waffles, idc, you live your best life. but in cake, man. what.

• Agree x 2
  16. KingStarscream

KingStarscream watch_dogs walking advertisement

Egg whites. Personally, I'd rather just use straight egg whites. I grok that mayo is pretty much Just That, but getting the egg white is a fun experience for me, so I'll stick with those.

• Agree x 1
  17. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

It's probably because mayo is something people usually have on hand and is low spoons since mug cake is usually a pretty low spoons thing

• Agree x 1
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Late to the party bc I stopped getting notifications:

Hot chocolate with cinnamon is way better than regular, and should be made two parts almond milk, one part cinnamon chocolate powder

Favorite chocolate filling is orange or cayenne pepper

Favorite candybar is white chocolate cookies and cream, or the wide variety that is kitkats

Last, a question: dandelions are delicious, yes or no?

• Like x 1
  19. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

as a horrible gremlin child who once ate dandelion leaves right off the ground: yes but only the flowers (and that when prepared, imo jelly is best), sap is way too bitter for the leaves to be appealing

• Agree x 1
  20. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

If you pick them fresh before they have had a chance to flower they're much milder. This is the case with pretty much every leafy green. Once it bolts, it's bitter.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice