Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

... wait. Why am I even ordering them with meat, I'm sure it's not too weird to ask it without. Surely people have seen stranger?

2. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

That's. Odd. Fruit gets salt. I will continue heavily flavoring my fruits.

Granted non-condimentified food is also like. My depression food. If I am eating fruits without salt chances are I'm extremely depressed or very busy. Simple foods aren't happy foods. Happy foods is I have time to sit down and carefully apply condiments to my food to get it tasting and feeling exactly how I want.

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  3. FinalFarce

FinalFarce dook dook

Furikake is delightful and I could eat sticky rice w/ furikake for pretty much every meal and still be happy. Love me some bonito and sesame seeds and such. Actually went to buy some today but both the big store w/ the international section and the small asian grocery were sold out. :(

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

witnessed for it being sold out because that sucks. furikake does magical things to rice.

• Agree x 1
  5. FinalFarce

FinalFarce dook dook

Oof double post because I sent it too fast and I am uncomfy just editing to add (*screams endlessly in anxiety*)

on the topic of condiments i picked up some chili oil today and i am READY to add it to everything, mostly eggs

6. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

...having googled the 'proper' definition, I will clarify and start another food fight say that ime "condiments" has implications of a certain consistency. Dry spices aren't condiments; ketchup, mayo etc are
    on further thought, also depends on when the substance is added; bbq sauce on a burger is, but bbq that was cooked into meat is not

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. FinalFarce

FinalFarce dook dook

mmmm.... hard disagree there. seasonings can be a condiment but aren't inherently. to me a condiment is something added at the end, uncooked and usually to taste by the person eating it not necessarily the person making the food. like if you add something once the food has been considered "made" (even if its an uncooked dish) i'd call that a condiment

• Agree x 3
  8. Aondeug

Ok but things like salt are included in the definition of condiment. It is a spice, sauce, or prepared thing that is added to a dish to compliment AFTER the dish has been prepared to compliment the flavor. Dry spices are condiments. They can also be parts of seasonings and marinades but they can be condiments. Two of said dry spices are among the most commonly used condiments in the US: salt and pepper.

• Agree x 1
  9. Aondeug

Granted my experience with condiments includes shit like Thai styled condiment caddies constantly. Among other things. I've got a lot of experience with a lot of kinds of condiments so the idea of it just being slime sauce is just. No. The definition can't just be that when you've got to find a word that describes the function of ketchup, nam plah prik, and dehydrated fish flakes being added to completed dishes.

• Agree x 1
  10. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

I dislike the traditional condiments. Not big on sauces on things. Dislike ketchup, mustard, salad dressings being injected into my sandwiches, most sauces you will add on to a thing. If I say I dislike condiments, people can usually understand it as That Category of Wet Sauce Thing.

Spices are a separate thing for me, but hm. If I consider condiments the Broad Broad category it's hard to say. They are occasionally integral to certain dishes. In general, I really dislike adding things after something is made - if there is seasoning, it tends to be added before completion.

(I only like condiments I can consider mild or offsets a sharper taste, say, sour cream. Sometimes mayo. Soy sauce. I know I have very plain tastes, but I'm pretty sensitive to overwhelming tastes.)

11. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

I’m from Chicago. I put ketchup on hotdogs anyway and feel way too pleased with myself. I wish I could do a proper villain laugh. Maybe I should commission a recording because that’s even weirder. And those are my thoughts on ketchup.

• Like x 3
  12. Aondeug

Ketchup on hotdogs is wrong. You put sauerkraut and mustard on them.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

sauerkraut is the devil and i will not stand for this

• Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  14. Chicago dogs are good, except for the tomato, fuck tomato. Ordinary hotdogs need either mustard and onion, or failing that, mustard and ketchup.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

c h e e s e

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

ketchup is valid

• Agree x 4
  17. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Cheese is a condiment, fight me

• Agree x 6
    • Informative x 1
  18. Cheese is. Not a condiment, no.

19. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

hotdogs are bad
    bratwurst with mustard and onion and That’s It

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  20. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Cheese and Sauerkraut are toppings.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice