Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I mean TBH there seems to be the outside-germany problem of people not having festkochende vs mehligkochende (and everything in between) potato cultivars so frankly i don't trust american potato opinions
    (for the non-germans: german potato variety are split into how firm they are once cooked, from 'firm' to 'flour-y' with a sort of sliding scale, and what kind you use depends on the dish you want. Potato mash gets the flour-y kind, fries or potato gratin get the firm one)

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  2. TheOwlet

German recipe write up, let's go

need:
    • equal amounts of camenbert (or comparable cheese) and butter at least 100g each. Both must be fairly soft so take a well ripened cheese
    • (optional but recommended: half a part of 'smelly' cheese like limburger)
    • paprika (so much, not the hot kind), salt, pepper, caraway seeds if you like them
    • one finely diced onion
    • splash of dry white wine (or, if you're making the bavarian variant, beer)
    Do: put cheese and butter in bowl, ideally roughly chopped, and go to town with a fork. Mash that stuff together until it's not exactly a smooth mass, but well mixed. Once that's been achieved, add your onion, spices and booze of choice, go back to mixing until all has been well combined
    chill for at least an hour to let the flavours mingle, then slap it on some bread (SOURDOUGH) and enjoy

need:
    • 125g ground liver (animal of your choice but i like calf)
    • 1 egg
    • some tbs of bread crumbs (or more, depending on how soggy the resulting mixture is)
    • 1 small onion, finely diced
    • herbs (parsley, majoram)
    • spices (salt, pepper, nutmeg)
    do: give the diced onion a bit of a cooking in some oil in a pan, until they're glassy. Then put them in a bowl, together with all the other ingredients, and go a-mixing. You want a mass that's soft enough to easy form, but firm enough to hold its shape when you form it to little dumplings with two spoons.
    You can either cook these in some beef stock but letting them simmer for ~20 minutes, or fry them up in a pan (they lso freeze very decently)

need:
    • 6 old breadrolls (Brötchen), or a good sized stale baguette
    • 250ml milk
    • 1 medium onion, finely diced
    • 3 eggs
    • bunch of chopped parsley
    • salt, pepper, nutmeg
    • potentially extra breadcrumbs depending on how soggy your mix is
    Do: turn your stale bread(rolls) into little cubes or slices. Give your onion a bit of a cooking in some butter, until they're glassy, then dump them in with your bread. Warm up your milk (do NOT boil it) and pour it over the bread, let soak for some minutes (maybe ten) until everything is good and soggy. Add your eggs, spices, and parsley and mix well. You do again want a mixture that's firm enough to form into balls but easy enough to form. If your mix is too loose, add breadcrumbs until correct texture is reached.
    Make about tennisball sized balls, put in simmering stock/salt water and cook until the dumplings rise to the surface.
    Once cooked, you can also chop up your left overs the next day and fry them in a pan

need:
    • flour
    • milk
    • egg
    • some peopel like to add leavening agents but listen these people are wrong, a Pfannkuchen has to be thin enough to be rolled. Some people also like to add sugar but while that's not per se wrong, it cuts into the versatility of the plain pancake, which can be your delivery method of choice for ANY topping.
    Do: combine one egg, about 100ml of milk, and enough flour to make a batter you can easily pour but that is not watery. Thicker than a crepe batter, but not much. Heat pan with some butter, pour in a laddle of batter, move the pan to achieve equal coverage of the pan. Fry until firm enough to flip, flip, fry second side.
    Once done, you can spread virtually ANYTHING on them. I like mine with honey or a jam, but i've also made savoury ones where i've mixed rehydrated mushrooms, garlic or cheese directly into the batter

• Like x 3
  3. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

huh we add a tiny bit of sugar and salt, like a pinch each, just to intensify all falvors for the pancakes
    i THINK my family doesn't do the carbonated water thing but @winterykite mmmmmaybe does? it's not pecisely a leavening agent just a tiny plash to loosen the texture a little.

• Like x 1
  4. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

what's rly good also is chopping a soft cooking sweet or slightly sour apple, rolling it in cinnamon sugar (copious amounts) to start breaking down the structures and then add that to a slightly thicker variant of the same basic pancake batter
    v good apple pancake

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  5. TheOwlet

Apfelküchli.....

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

just made those potato pancakes for breakfast, they were delicious! definitely going into menu rotation

• Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
  7. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

'you can spread virtually ANYTHING on them'

i am sold

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  8. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Ftr England also has the floury/waxy thing which is where I encountered it, and I respect the potato Discourse but my position remains "I will use the sole varietal of potato I actually like and will bend it to my whims via brute force"

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
  9. Aondeug

I have never once encountered that discourse though my family has strong opinions on what dishes MUST ONLY USE RED POTATOES and which are suitable for russets. I tend to be a basic fuck who uses russets for most everything as I am confused by Potato.

tomatoes i am more picky about. if i catch you putting cherry tomatoes in your mexican rice i will end you. same with tomatillos.

• Agree x 1
    • Witnessed x 1
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

...Is people putting cherry tomatoes in for a recipe that calls for tomatillos a thing? They taste nothing alike. o_O

11. Aondeug

no, no. i mean i do not want the little boys in the rice. or the tomatillos. as neither goes into the rice. the bigger varieties get cut into chunks and put in the rice. littler round boys are better for eating raw as is and tomatillos are for like...other specific things. like green sauce.

• Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. Aondeug

there's also the sort that gets used for red sauces which are the oval looking things

13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Yeah, floury/waxy potatoes are a thing in the US too

• Agree x 1
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I don’t know much about Mexican food but cherry tomatoes in Mexican rice just sounds wrong

also the superior kind of potatoes are the purple ones no matter what you are using them for

15. Aondeug

Purple potatoes?? Are they like red ones?

Also since waxy and floury is a thing here too what are waxy potatoes and floury ones out here?

16. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

...man, I bet there's going to be no farmer's market this year, so no purple potatoes for me. ;_;

• Witnessed x 1
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

purple Peruvians aka these guys:

[​IMG]

they are delicious! my mom grows them every year. they have a slightly stronger flavor than many other potatoes.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  18. witchknights

witchknights Bold Enchanter Defends The Fearful

there is only one kind of Potato in brazil (the yellow thin skinned one) unless you want to go to the super fancy grocery store and pay $10/kg more for the thin skinned pink potato if they feel like stocking it

• Witnessed x 3
  19. Aondeug

!!!!!!

HOLY SHIT IT IS DEEP PUPLRE

• Agree x 4
  20. NevermorePoe

NevermorePoe Nevermore

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice