Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Default is orange here in my bit of texas, unless it's very sharp because for some reason that denotes fanciness? And apparently sharp cheddar is fancier than regular

• Informative x 1
  2. ChelG

ChelG Well-Known Member

England, and I think orange or yellow?

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

huh, apparently the northeast is an outlier when it comes to default cheese colors. the only orange cheese up here is American or found in those shredded “Mexican cheese blends.”
    that’s interesting, because cheddar is basically the default cheese here! the dairy aisle will have some of those plastic American slices, probably a bit of Jack and mozzarella and Swiss, and then a couple rows of blocks of cheddar. that’s not counting the fancy cheese section, which is usually in a different part of the store.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  4. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

German here,and yeah cheddar is orange, irish, and kinda expense

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Anecdata; all the cheese sections I've seen here in tx have been extremely varied (still only talking about the normal cheese section, not specialty). I might even go as far to say the jack cheeses get more attention

There's also more Mexican cheese options, cotija being a big one

• Informative x 3
  6. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Cheddars are generally a crayola-to-neon shade of orange. It's default enough that White Cheddar is a separate thing. Cheddar in general is a default cheese, which is a shame because you could use/eat literally any other cheese. (I thought I HATED cheese for years until realizing I just don't care for American or cheddar)

Sources: lived in Florida, Georgia, Texas

• Agree x 1
  7. Codeless

Codeless Cheshire Cat

Echoing Ivy, Cheddar here is orange and expensive. (gimme yours artemis)

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  8. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Cheddar is white to golden in colour, and good cheddar should have some crystals forming to give it bite. Cheaper cheddar may have annatto added to give it orange colour, and I'm generally not a fan (cheap cheddar doesn't have that distinctive crumble, and can be plasticky in texture.)

Working a deli definitely gave me cheese snob characteristics.

• Informative x 3
    • Agree x 1
  9. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i actually didn't post about cheddar yet but yes cheddar is orange, expensiveness depends, it's a bit expense but not any more than.... all the other expensive cheese I tend to eat bc i am cheese bougie....

• Informative x 1
  10. KaidaShade

KaidaShade Definitely not a horse

UK and I don't think I've ever seen orange cheddar, it's always white/pale yellow

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  11. Lizardlicks

Lizardlicks Friendly Neighborhood Lizard

Washington state, the cheddar is usually some form of yellow/orange. "white cheddar" is its own specific thing.

• Informative x 1
  12. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Southern Ontario, I've seen yellow/white cheddars but the default is orange.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oregon, Washington State, New York state, and Illinois (Chicago region): orange is default. In WA/OR the store brand had a white cheddar option, but not in NY or IL. You can definitely get white cheddar (easiest in WA, OR and NY, more expensive in IL)

• Informative x 1
  14. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I wonder if the difference in the northeast is because Cabot has their headquarters up here? I can’t think of any other reason why we would be the only ones without orange cheddar.

15. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I legitimately bought two things of popcorn seasoning that were "cheddar" and "white cheddar". White cheddar is its own flavour of popcorn/snacks etc

My brother likes "marble cheddar" which is like part orange and part white cheddar. I have no idea if the two actually taste different or if theres just like an Idea of difference

• Agree x 1
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

In my experience white cheddar are usually sharper than the average "medium" varieties. Then again it could be bias because I prefer my cheddars very sharp and the sharpest ones available are often white, sooooooo

• Agree x 3
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

the overall best ice cream flavor to buy a gallon of to take home is vanilla, because you can modify it however you want.

• Agree x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I straight up bought vanilla ice cream yesterday to pour black coffee over. Ended up with a slightly sweet and rich bastardized latte. T'was a great treat

• Winner x 5
  19. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Agreed. I tend to just buy a huge tub of cheap storebrand vanilla and then go to town with it. Or really basic chocolate ice cream, but that lives in a slightly different niche than All Purpose Vanilla

@Deresto if tea's your thing, you can do the same thing green tea and basically make yourself the world's best matcha latte (take no substitutes)

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Useful x 1
  20. aetherGeologist

aetherGeologist Well-Known Member

My favourite brand of peanut butter has changed their formulation slightly and I can't get over the change in flavour

• Witnessed x 12
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice