Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Just to throw more data in there, we have an ice cream maker - one of the ones with a paddle and its own refrigeration - and it does have a distinct smell when making ice cream, mostly vanilla with a vaguely metallic, cool edge which could well be the refrigerator coolant, but also that smell persists even once it's in the bowl. Similar to the smell of a frosty morning, in some ways. Not sure if it's a true scent or more a sensation, though, sorry.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

Oh dairy (with bovine milk) is definitely a smell. And I mean yeah, chocolate smells like chocolate, mint smells like mint, fudge smells different than chocolate...

I couldn't describe it though other than Ice Cream smell. Which is subtly different from Frozen Yogurt smell.

Now self-conscious of the fact that yes I know I have a very sensitive sense of smell heh

As additional anecdata, my father and twin can't smell anything unless it's practically shoved up their nostrils, while my mom is like me, so.

• Like x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Nah, i think its awesome! I cant smell for shit, so its really cool to me :D

• Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
  4. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I don't want to derail this from The Mayo Discourse but yeah if you ever have smell-related questions feel free to randomly ask me, I don't get to talk about scent enough

• Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

cakes that are good with cream cheese frosting > all other cakes

carrot cake is the greatest of these

• Agree x 3
  6. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

related: carrot cake with raisins, walnuts, both, or neither?

I'm on the "raisins or nothing" train, I don't like crunch in my cake

7. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Who the fuck puts walnuts in carrot cake???? PECANS all the way. I prefer carrot cake with them but with raisins is fine too, both together is too much.

• Like x 1
  8. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Raisins are tiny, wizened devil's knackers spoiling my enjoyment of perfectly good food

Also the rest of the world that isn't America uses walnuts and I will fight you on this, walnuts are fucking great

• Agree x 2
  9. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Walnuts are an excellent addition to carrot cake

• Agree x 6
  10. goldenflowertea

goldenflowertea this universe SUCKS but it is full of FRIENDS

I guess you could put pecans in carrot cake if you didn't have walnuts but I don't know why you'd do it elsewise?

Also:

Mayonnaise is inferior in every way to garlic toum.

Peanuts in coca cola is good and works

Suet pastry is the creation of a benevolent deity (especially in the form of steak and kidney pudding)

Black pudding is excellent and flawless.

• Informative x 2
  11. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Re carrot cake:i prefer my cake to be mostly ground walnuts, hazelnuts, carrot and just enough egg to hold it all together.

Raisins are the devil tho

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  12. goldenflowertea

goldenflowertea this universe SUCKS but it is full of FRIENDS

...shouldn't flour be in there somewhere?

• Like x 1
  13. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

Listen, I live in Georgia, pecans are cheaper than walnuts and frankly taste way better :P

• Agree x 2
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

Capers are tasty as hell but unrelated to cake

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
  15. TheOwlet

Optional and i prefer to ditch it

• Informative x 2
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Out of curiosity, do the ground nuts function similarly to flour in this context? I know almond flour is a thing, so it would make sense I think.

17. TheOwlet

Ssooooorta? Like, the thing keeping the cake together is beatenn-to-a-fluff egg whites, which also provides most of the levening, so you don't really *need* flour or gluten in it to make it work. The ground nuts provide the main body for the carrott to sit in, the egg whites do the glue+lift.

Though of course ground nuts also provide a lot if flavour

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  18. Acey

Ahh, yeah, that makes sense! I've never made carrot cake before so I really have no idea how all that works. :P

19. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

ok but have you all considered: dried cranberries.

also I hope we can all at least agree that pineapple does not belong anywhere near carrot cake.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  20. Acey

I agree on the second point (haven't encountered it personally and I DO NOT WANT TO), but dried cranberries in carrot cake? Color me intrigued! (I can see it working really really well, but I can also see it clashing...)

• Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice