Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

Just to throw a rock at the beehive, the Wikipedia disambiguation page for "Chili" says:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  2. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

idk, having looked up pictures I would consider that an especially chunky soup. to me, for something to be considered a stew, it has to have been stewed.

• Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Wikipedia man is wrong. Either theyve never had chili or are talking about the abomination that is 'chili with beans and other stuff'

Chili is meat and sauce. Spices allowed, and recommended, but no extra stretchers. If you put stuff in that's fine but try that in a competition and you'll be booted.

Also @Acey is correct, I was thinking of chili dogs and chili fries when I said condiment, but topping may fit better. Chili goes on top of things, mostly, and a lot of said things are commonly found during barbeques

To add to the tension, turkey chili is best chili

• Informative x 2
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I think the chili you mean and the chili I mean are two different foods with the same name

• Agree x 3
  5. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

chili is stew imo

edit: but i'll also add, stuff like chili dogs and chili fries don't have much of a presence where I am, I've never seen that

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Informative x 1
  6. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I hate to tell you this but Eintopf is definitely stewed. Just not zo thr point where all the veg starts disintegrating.

• Informative x 3
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

...very probable, yeah

• Agree x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Googled types of chili, Wikipedia spat this at me under chili con carne:

This is the chili I mean

Edit: the literal translation is chili with meat

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Informative x 1
  9. LadyNighteyes

I'd probably call my family's chili a stew if I was forced to- for us it's a main dish and you eat it out of a bowl, maybe with crackers or cornbread. It's the sort that would get us pilloried in Texas, because not only does it have beans in it, since we have two people in the immediate family who can't eat beef, we usually use ground turkey or make it vegetarian. When I really want to upset an imaginary Texan I add a can of pumpkin and a tiny amount of unsweetened baker's chocolate, and then refer to it as "Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Chili" for maximum curse power.

• Winner x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh my god

How does that even taste??? Does it still have meat??? I'm not totally appalled, sloppy joe is sweet (a chili cousin but Not Chili) but like. How do you even season?

I prefer turkey or chicken chili admittedly, because red meat do me a hurt, but I still stand that it's not what I think chili should count as and that's okay, too. It tastes fine I just still don't add beans and spice it differently. Usually with a poblano base instead of the regular red chili peppers

That kinda makes me want to experiment with a sweet pepper base now

• Like x 1
  11. TheOwlet

I make my chili with mostly beans (or other legumes, chickpeas are good too) and bacon, but i second the addition of cocoa powder it's very good to balance out any errant sweetness from the starches

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  12. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

pumpkin chili is AMAZING, it adds a kind of creamy richness to it without actually tasting of pumpkin

and I also always add chocolate of some kind to my chili. it's not so much a flavoring as it is sort of equivalent to salt - it's used to bring out the other flavors rather than for its own flavor.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  13. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

A small amount of bitter chocolate or cocoa is also very good for adding a rich flavour to beef dishes. I always add a little to a beef gravy. That or redcurrant jelly, but chocolate is easier to find.

• Informative x 2
    • Agree x 1
  14. LadyNighteyes

Chocolate goes surprisingly well with hot peppers in general, too. You'll see it sometimes in Mexican cooking (e.g. a lot of variants of mole sauce).

Yeah, in mine the pumpkin is more for texture and filler than for flavor, since it gets pretty overpowered by everything else. Usually when I make it it's ground turkey + onions + kidney beans + tomatoes + possibly a can of pumpkin + possibly some additional vegetables (e.g. frozen corn, green bell pepper). Sibling is in charge of seasoning, but the base is chili powder + cumin + whatever their ineffable whims determine it needs.

I know ground beef behaves pretty differently from ground turkey, but since I'm one of the people who can't eat it, I just kind of go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ and commit Chili Crimes. I have made vegetarian chili before, but unless you have a replacement protein that at least attempts to mimic the texture of meat I find it comes out kind of sad.

• Agree x 1
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

This is so funny to me, please continue to defy Chili Law

• Agree x 3
  16. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

Bad and naughty cooks are sent to Chili Jail to atone for their crimes

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
  17. TheOwlet

my usual chili is kidney beans (chili beans if i can get them), white beans or chickpeas, corn, a lil bellpepper, sliced bacon, onion, garlic

and for spices: chili, cumin, pepper, salt, cocoa, at least two kinds of paprika (hot and sweet), koriander and whatever i feel like at the time

• Informative x 2
  18. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ok this is the second (possibly third) time I've seen reference to bacon being the meat in a chili recipe, how does that work? How much bacon is being used, and what kind of cut? I'm quite mystified

• Agree x 1
  19. TheOwlet

I buy sliced bacon, so it's stripes of it sliced down to about...1cm in width? and usually not that much, this is mainly a bean chili so like.....half a pound at most probably? you brown it in the pot, dump in your aliums (and fresh veg if used), cook them in the bacon fat until aliums are tender, then you dump your legumes of choice on there and add water/broth/tomato sauce whatever your liquid main ingredient is, stir, season and let it sit on the stove on low heat for A While until all the flavours have melted together (I usually estimate at least 1h final simmering time) and adjust for seasoning as you go

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Ok so. That's not chili to me. It's just a bean dish. It's ok to eat beans with or without stuff in it but it's not chili, it's beans. Beans with some bacon in it.

Where are you from, if I may ask? Is "bean chili" a family or regional dish? My brain is freaking out a bit and I may be splitting hairs at this point but I'm so attached to my preconceptions of What Chili Is that I'm definitely out of my comfort zone rn :psyduck:

• Witnessed x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice