Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

I'm german, born and raised, i assure you the dish's been imported here circa 1945 by GIs

ETA: if you buy canned chili at the store it's also definitely A Bean Dish With Meat In It (usually some form of ground meat)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  2. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I generally don't chili and only hear about it from folks who do, so I don't really have a horse in this race, but From What I've Heard™ chili up here (northeastern us) is roughly equal parts ground meat and beans, plus sauce, spices, onion/garlic, and veg to taste (usually tomato, peppers, and corn, although I've also seen mushroom and okra)

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Im specifically talking about what's considered the Texas State Dish, which in state held competitions and cookoffs is just meat in chili sauce, with spices. I would even go as far to say the spiced chili sauce is the main aspect, with the meat just being used as a vehicle to get it in your mouth. No beans as it's considered a stretcher (which is fine for what I've decided I'm gonna call the homestyle variety) and in some competitions, no tomato either. You can't marinate the meat overnight and no flour or it's likeness as a thickener. That's what I think of when I say Chili.

It doesnt surprise me that your definition originates from GIs, as anyone military would be focusing on lasting and filling ingredients

• Informative x 3
  4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

Texas chilli is the anomaly compared to everywhere else, though.

• Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

...oh

I need to rethink some things

• Witnessed x 6
  6. sirsparklepants

sirsparklepants feral mom energies

I'm from the US south and we have a lot of chili competitions here and if you showed up without beans a lot of people would be upset.

Every time I make chili it's somewhat of a fly by the seat of my pants endeavor, but I gotta have ground beef, onion, garlic, fresh hot pepper (usually habanero or serrano, I would need a lot of fresh jalapeños), the canned tomatoes with the chiles, kidney beans, cayenne, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and a little cinnamon. Optional: little bit of bacon, some of a can of chipotles in adobo, black beans, pinto beans, turmeric, bell pepper, hot sauce. If I don't have cornbread with it assume I have broken my arm so I can't heft my cast iron around.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Huh.
    I'm not gonna lie part of my worldview is crumbling a bit. I've been arguing for days on what proper chili is and I'm only now noticing no one's particularly agreeing with me. Which means I'm being an ass. Sorry y'all I'm gonna try and be more open minded

Edit: though if it's gonna be a topping I'm still not putting beans in it. Chili dogs and beans should be next to each other on the plate, not combined

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
    • Witnessed x 3
  8. sirsparklepants

Oh yeah hot dog chili is a completely different animal than the one that is a standalone meal

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. devils-avocado

devils-avocado tired and gay

tbh since it is a state specialty of your state, it makes sense that you'd have strong opinions abt it... I don't think I've ever eaten a chili with just meat and sauce, and now I'm curious about that

• Agree x 6
    • Like x 1
  10. Charlie

Charlie I got no strings to hold me down

the best chili i ever had was a sweet chili made of venison (deer)? best stuff

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I've never made chili with any meat other than beef, I'd like to try it. I do use bacon grease for the cooking fat when I can tho. and for me the spices are chili powder, cumin, probably some garlic powder on top of the fresh garlic, usually paprika and/or some kind of smoked hot pepper, and sometimes oregano. plus I recently discovered adobo chilis and am never not using them ever again.

I usually do 2 or 3 cans of beans to a pound and a half of ground beef, plus an onion and at least a couple of bell peppers. added some frozen roasted corn last time and that was delicious.

• Like x 2
    • Useful x 1
  12. sirsparklepants

Venison chili is SO GOOD.

• Agree x 1
  13. TheOwlet

God i wish venison wasn't so godawful expensive, i'd love to try a venison Chili

No harm.no foul on my part

I have similarly strong opinions on what does and doesn't count as a real bavarian pretzel

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  14. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

I've never had a chili without beans. It sounds interesting, but I like the variety of textures you get when you have beans in it.

My default chili is a slow cooker white chili with chicken thighs and canneli beans, but all the mentions of turkey chili make me think I should try it. Maybe when it's all on sale after Christmas.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  15. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

What would these opinions be? I’m honestly not 100% clear on the semantic distinction between soft pretzels in general and Bavarian pretzels specifically, although I know there presumably is one…

• Agree x 2
  16. TheOwlet

That what americans consider 'bavarian' pretzel is either 1) too dang pale 2) too dang squishy 3) somehow wrongly shaped

• Informative x 4
  17. TheOwlet

to wit:

this is a Bavarian Pretzel:
    [​IMG]

This Is Not

ETA: video recipe uses beer for the dough which??? no. criminal.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    • Informative x 5
  18. IvyLB

IvyLB Hardcore Vigilante Gay Chicken Facilitator

i would be interested in a beer dough pretzel thing, but not if it's supposed to be like. at all authentic. but then i have Many Opinions on dipping dough in bases to achieve Flavor (tm) and i'm not even from bavaria

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  19. Verily

Verily surprised Xue Yang peddler

Huh, I’d never heard of a Bavarian pretzel. They look really tasty!

I really want soft pretzels now. I’m not too picky about specifics, though I would prefer what I would consider regular soft pretzels to ones like in the video, because the browned crust is what it’s really all about.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

To anyone who I scoffed at about cheddar + a hot slice of apple pie, I apologize. A nice melty slice of sharp cheddar atop a fresh slice of classic apple pie is fucking Magnificent

• Winner x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice