Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

No pickled eggs, evil

Otherwise? P much everything, but especially pickled Pearl onions, i can oblirerate a whole glass in one sitting

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  2. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Give me all the pickles except pickled eggs, please. Quick pickled carrots and onions on a sandwich are wonderful, olives are wonderful, cucumbers are wonderful.

The only bad pickle experience I have had was doing a shot of whiskey with a pickle juice chaser. I'll pass on doing that again.

• Informative x 3
  3. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I'm seeing a pattern on pickled eggs, what are they actually like? I've never had the courage to try something that sounds that vile

• Agree x 1
  4. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

They're extremely rubbery. They're a chip shop staple here, and I can only presume that they're mostly ordered by very drunk people very late at night. Possibly for a bet.

• Useful x 2
  5. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I've always been cool at best on olives but I recently had olives which I actively adore. a local arabic grocery sells quarts of grilled green olives with garlic and herbs and they are buttery and tender and flavorful and divine

other than that pickles are not for eating alone, sometimes good on a sandwich or in a recipe or something. anything that bears any resemblance to kimchi or sauerkraut needs to go 10 miles away from me. i know those are fermented not pickled but they are in the same mental category.

• Winner x 1
  6. Acey

Acey hand extended, waiting for a shake

I'm neutral on most pickled things, but dill pickles are godly and also Oscar the Grouch is correct to drink the juice.

7. artistformerlyknownasdave

artistformerlyknownasdave revenge of ricky schrödinger

pickled daikon, pickled onion, pickled cucumber, pickled peppers, since they were mentioned kimchi and sauerkraut..i fuck them UP

claussen dill pickle halves are my beloved

8. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

I'll eat just about anything pickled, though I've yet to try pickled eggs.

My favorites are ginger, kimchi, beets, olives, cucumbers, and sauerkraut, roughly in order. Some days I just Cannot sauerkraut for reasons I do not fully understand, other times I will devour an entire jar if not physically stopped.

• Informative x 1
  9. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

Pickles are good but not all pickles. I prefer briny, more savory pickles. No sweet ones. Dill pickles good, I have no idea why anyone would like the sweet pickled cucumbers.

I've had pickled eggs. Don't love them.

Pickled cauliflower is good, but not too spicy. Pickled okra is awesome. Pickled onions are also good. I've tried pickled mushrooms but I don't like the texture of them. I like crunch and pickled flavor. Garlic and mild spice are also welcome. Olives of nearly every kind, tho I am a bit too lazy to enjoy the ones with pits, and kalamata olives are a little too strong to enjoy as a snack. Olives stuffed with garlic or blue cheese are great. I've had the brand of olive you can buy in a can with various fillings, I've forgotten the name. The salmon was not great texture wise, it was paste that had been piped into the olives. Taste was alright. The brand has a lemon flavor but I haven't been brave enough for those. I'm not sure what to expect of the texture.

Edit: banana peppers are GREAT but they have to be mild

I will sip normal pickling liquid as a weird delicacy but not olive juice.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. Acey

YESSSS, stuffed olives are great! There's a lil tourist trap my family always stops at on road trips up north that specializes in different types of green olives with various fillings and the like, we always leave with a couple jars.

• Like x 1
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Resharing for edit in case no one recognized Texas Candy when I meant cowboy candy. If you don't know what it is, it's presented like a spread similar to jam but with diced candied jalapeno peppers and it tastes divine on a cream cheese bagel. It helps if jalapenos are a staple in your household like they are in mine

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  12. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I've seen jalapeno jam/preserve with Chunks In, but I'm not sure how sweet it is-- I don't much like peppers anyway, so I've never tried it myself.

13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

You probably wouldn't like it then. The spicyness definitely leans heavily toward whether it's got seeds in it or not, but it's pretty distinctly jalapeno pepper flavored ime. The sweetness is just a sugar glaze to keep the peppers preserved (which preserves works better than jam to describe it I guess)

• Informative x 2
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I also googled it to get the right name and found out people regularly use it on hamburgers and hot dogs which sounds... Not very good to me, honestly. I know some people use sweet relish or sweet pickle spears on them as well and I just can't get behind it >XP

• Witnessed x 1
  15. Acey

I've never had this but it sounds really good! Jalapeños Good

• Agree x 2
  16. bornofthesea670

We always called that pepper jelly haha. I made it once, the recipe called for sugar, finely diced bell pepper, red pepper flakes, and pectin. If there's one made of just jalapeno and sugar then I don't know it, I'm used to the ones with chunks of red and green pepper.

• Informative x 2
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Brussel sprouts my beloved

• Agree x 4
  18. Acey

Brussels sprouts are very good when prepared right, but imho preparation is key. They can be really gross if done badly, but the well-prepared ones are something special.

• Agree x 3
  19. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

If anyone wants some literal Mayo Discourse, cooking Youtuber Ann Reardon (a pastry chef who's branched out into testing and debunking viral cooking clickbait) has, despite her husband's expression in the video thumbnail, a surprise vindication of the Tiktok chef who was selling Mysterious Pink Sauce earlier this year:

• Winner x 1
  20. bornofthesea670

I dont have time to watch until after work but im very curious how she's been vindicated. She was shipping out food in an unsafe manner.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice