Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

The stuff about emulsion was fascinating, if you're (general you) not really interested in the controversy itself I'd watch it just for that

2. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

:tldr:, a lot of people were accusing the pink sauce lady of using mayonnaise with food coloring in it as a base and lying about it, and Ann proved that you could in fact make something that looks like that with just the ingredients on the label. She also talks about how a lot of people were worried about botulism, but botulism is a concern in low-acid foods, and the ingredients listed include both vinegar and citric acid, so if she's using proportions similar to a standard ranch dressing recipe it'll be botulism-safe at room temperature for the same reason a bottle of ranch from the grocery store is. (It also covers some stuff that she agrees Chef Pii absolutely did do wrong, like extremely wrong numbers on the nutrition facts.)

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  3. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

That's fair, but one of the concerns about Chef Pii was that she was shipping it out in the spring/summer. From Miami. Dunno if that makes a difference with regard to 'room temp' XD also Pii has been so rude that i wouldnt try it unless my friend already had some lmao. I won't purchase it myself.

4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Thought: there are some foods that cheese should not be involved with. For instance: cabbage dishes. I'm not gonna say I'm not open to suggestions since I've not tried every cheese, but even imagining a cheesy coleslaw or stuffed cabbage roll or even just steamed grosses me out majorly. I will narrow this down even further to cheddars because that's got actual experience behind it

Also warm coleslaw on top of hot meat is no bueno imo

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Disclaimer: I adore both cabbage and cheese of many kinds

6. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

cheese coleslaw (grated red leicester or cheddar) is excellent, i will fight you :p

also gently stir fried cabbage will definitely suit a cheese sauce, maybe with a bit of bacon or other salted meat (corned beef?).

• Informative x 1
  7. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

See, I don't really like meat involved in my cabbage either, which I know for sure is an unpopular opinion. Carrots, onion, hot sauce and potatoes with a cabbage stir fry sounds way better to me. I'll concede bacon fat for the frying part but I'm not big on bacon itself unless I'm in a mood. Too greasy

8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Wait. Do I maybe... Just plain not like several types of meat??? Revelations are happening. I like sausages and thin burger patties and kebab meat (last one purely for texture) but not really much others I'd call favorites

• Informative x 1
  9. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

What's your 'im nauseous as hell but I need calories' food? For me it's dry toast and mint tea. Hasn't helped much today, but I think I'm due my monthlies if the way my hip is complaining is any indication.

I have ripe pears and I wanna eat them but my stomach says No :(

• Agree x 1
  10. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

plain rice with a little honey is my "recovering from stomach illness" food. also candied ginger!

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  11. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

B a n a n a
    Also seconding rice, and adding unsweetened applesauce

• Winner x 1
  12. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

rice cooked in stock instead of water to add Flavour. Applesauce, if the nausea comes with extra problems like a sore throat.

• Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  13. chthonicfatigue

sugary tea and unsalted or very lightly salted potato crisps.

• Winner x 1
  14. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Verdict on canned peas? I've had them all of once in what was supposed to be a pea salad but tasted like poison but even the idea grosses me out. If you can't get em fresh it's from frozen all the way

Edit: the pea salad was gross because of the maker, not the peas. It didn't even approach edible looking and tasted even fouler

Last edited: Feb 13, 2023
    • Agree x 2
    • Witnessed x 1
  15. chthonicfatigue

canned peas have a bad taste and a worse texture, imo. i prefer frozen to fresh, too, unless you're picking them straight off the vine; fresh peas tend to go starchy the older they get, so don't travel very well.

• Agree x 2
  16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

I don't mind 'em and will even eat them straight from the can. I am, in general, very capable of eating canned vegetables just straight. I like how mushy they are, canned peas. Less chewing on my part. I am like the only autistic I know who isn't like "Canned peas are the devil incarnate texture wise". Canned peas also have a strange can flavor I like.

• Like x 1
  17. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

I despise peas in any form :p Very cute and simple starter plants for someone looking to get into gardening! But for eating... no... even meal bars that just use Pea Protein(tm) taste disgusting to me...

• Agree x 1
  18. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

I'd rather buy frozen peas than canned, but canned aren't the end of the world. I like canned green beans better than either fresh or frozen, though.

19. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

canned green beans have a less shit texture

• Agree x 3
  20. bornofthesea670

bornofthesea670 Well-Known Member

I don't like peas in general XD keeps it simple. I do prefer tomatoes i buy from the local markets and straight from the garden to regular supermarket tomatoes though. And I really don't like hot or cooked tomatoes unless they're blended up or a real fleshy breed of tomato. Please take the goop out of the tomato if you wish to make hot.

• Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice