Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

The peanut butter and jelly sandwich baffles me to be honest.

But I think that's a calvinistic thing that's ingrained in Dutch culture. Why have two things on a sandwich when one will do perfectly fine.

Also I don't really like peanut butter and I do like jelly/jam so that's a consideration too :P

• Like x 1
  2. for me personally it's just that those textures sound absolutely repulsive together. But I find beans pretty disgusting in every other context too so depending on how you cut it I am either categorically unqualified to be part of this conversation or clearing the low, low bar of having my distaste be consistent instead of just being mindless Brit-bashing

• Agree x 1
  3. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

yeah I just don't like beans in any permutation, On Toast or otherwise, but if you don't mind beans it sounds like a solid meal? not particularly weirder than SOS or sausage gravy on biscuits.

• Agree x 2
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

to me it's weird because it's starch on starch. it's as weird as putting rice or oatmeal on toast would be. I know beans are a protein, but when combined with bread the starchiness takes over. the sauce also doesn't seem very good for being soaked up by bread. and the whole thing is sloppy - when I hear [food] on toast, I usually imagine something that can be picked up and eaten with one hand.

• Agree x 2
  5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

That actually helps explain my discomfort with avocado toast, for similar texture reasons

6. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

So I've always followed the hype on sardines being gross, even though I'd never actually tried them, but today I found myself metaphorically pelted with a deluge of tinned ones from a kind friend who knew we were not doing great on grocery bills recently. I decided I was done being picky and ate some and. Goddam it was like seeing god for the first time. Why on earth did nobody tell me they're so good??? Salty, soft but not too soft, and tasted just a bit sweet like all that has been kissed by the sea. Delicious.

How do y'all feel about these miraculous fishes?

Also not a debate on this second part but a question, do sea treats taste sweet to anyone else, or do I have a very specific case of synesthesia going on?

Double also, and actually a debate question this time, is anyone else grossed out by the prospect of fish with cheese cause I just can't with that combo. It's so gross

• Winner x 2
  7. PotteryWalrus

PotteryWalrus halfway hideous and halfway sweet

Fish with cheese is very much WTF, and tinned sardines are great - I've had them fresh-grilled in the Mediterranean and they were even better.

I sort of get what you mean about the sweetness? Not how I'd describe it - to me, it's sort of a nice earthiness to go with the sea-flavour - but I get it. Tinned sardines are best in tomato sauce with crackers to scoop them onto in chunks, you can't change my mind <3

• Winner x 1
  8. Loq

I've never actually had tinned sardines so I can't comment there, but fish with cheese very much depends on the cheese involved. I've had some fantastic parmesan flounder, and some absolutely horrendous 50s casserole-style cheddar tuna. Not really sure what you mean by "sea treats" unless that's a continuation of the sardine topic?

9. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

If it lives in the ocean and I can safely eat it, it's a sea treat :D I love seafood
    I'm allergic to shellfish, but the one time I had crab and discovered this, it still tasted sweet to me

10. Loq

oh same on the shellfish, r i p. I wouldn't say fish-shaped fish are sweet to me, but lobster was and shrimp kind of? maybe the real sweetness is the histamines we found along the way

• Winner x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

there's a russian store near where I live that sells all kinds of smoked fish, and I didn't think I liked the stuff until my mom fed me smoked herring with fresh farmer's cheese and tomato on toast. like a variation on cream cheese and lox. goooooood stuff.

• Winner x 1
    • Useful x 1
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Probably unpopular opinion: I had ahi tuna from a friend for dinner for the first time, made sure not to "ruin it" with overcooking and used every inch of my little over average cooking skills and how the internet told me to cook it, and I was... Greatly underwhelmed. It might as well have been the canned stuff (and yes I did look up what canned tuna is and know it's a totally different breed)
    Tl;dr fresh, straight from Hawaii yellowfin tastes barely different from canned albacore to me. I like both but wouldn't be sad if I never got ahi again

13. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Chip and salsa perfect food.

How do y'all feel about spicy stuff, and what ingredients make the best kick? I'm pretty fond of the classic jalapeño

14. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

spicy food is literally the best and fucking mandatory for me. in terms of which spice is best it really depends on the food and my mood, but i am especially fond of prik nam plah. and oh when you mix those with some fresh thai peppers and also pepper flakes it creates this wonderful mix of different kinds of spicy with every bite. in terms of what level of intensity i like my stuff at, i exist in the realm of thai spicy as my basic line. anything lower than that i view as like...mild? like a tasty treat that's not quite The Full Meal.

but then i grew up eating jalapenos and eating spicy chips and candies since i was a real little kid. those are just snack for baby in my cultural environment. so like. i was inevitably going to end up this way. especially after i got into thai buddhism.

• Winner x 1
  15. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Goals tbh. I love spicy but I hit a wall at anything past jalapeños. My childhood social Snack that everyone grew up on was more sour stuff. Lemons freshly sliced were eaten like oranges, sour powder candy dumped into mouths, warheads eaten by the handful

I did however love to dip sliced jalapeños in nacho cheese as a kid as well

16. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

ahhh. i had lots of sour things too though sour was often mixed with spicy for me. like lots of mexican candy is like. fruit flavored thing covered in sour, salty, spicy mix.

• Like x 1
  17. Emma

Does spinach of any kind (cooked, raw, smoothie) make anyone else's mouth, specifically teeth, feel weird, or is it just me?

• Agree x 1
  18. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

oh i know that one actually. Spinach contains oxalic acid/oxalates, which binds to calcium in the teeth and thus makes them feel horrible. Rhubarb can do the same thing!

• Informative x 2
  19. Emma

I knew that about rhubarb, didn't know about spinach! Thanks for the explanation!

Still makes spinach a small doses food for me XD

• Agree x 1
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

What's some of y'all's opinions on cold cereal? I personally love a good bowl of Cheerios with a bagel covered in cream cheese as a side, and ended up with corn flakes being a big sensory + routine yes as a kid. I even had to have the right kind of milk or I wouldn't touch it.

There's also the sugary stuff, which I don't hate but am under no illusions that it's a healthy way to start the day instead of essentially a dessert

Any side opinions on alternative milks greatly appreciated (I myself now have to use specifically almond breeze original sweetened instead of little me's quest for the right brand of whole milk)!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice