Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. TheOwlet

TheOwlet A feathered pillow filled with salt and science

Counter question:

Warm cereal is a thing?!?

2. Lazarae

Lazarae The tide pod of art

A lot of warm porridges eaten for breakfast are called warm/hot cereal in English. Stuff like oatmeal.

• Agree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

Cereal is such a non-food to me. I think you can buy some in Dutch supermarkets, but it's definitely not a thing as much as it is in America.

I do like Muesli or Granola though :D with yoghurt, never with milk. For extra bonus deliciousness: add some cut up fruit, a pear that's all juicy works really well, or blue/strawberries

• Like x 1
  4. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

cold cereal fucks severely but it's a pre-bedtime food that you eat so your blood sugar doesn't drop during your sleep. i use whole milk.

• Like x 1
  5. TheOwlet

oh that makes a lot of sense, i was imagining like, warm fruit loops (which at 8am is a mental image and a half)

6. TheOwlet

and in reply: usually doing Müsli or oatmeal these days, the other stuff is too sweet for me these days, though I did love it as a tiny

7. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

cold cereal is any meal, especially the forbidden 3 am meal. having a bagel as a side feels weird to me though. actually, having anything as a side feels weird. cereal is complete unto itself. cereal is a perfect circle.

• Like x 2
  8. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I could eat cold cereal for every meal and that's why I'm not allowed (per myself) to have cereal. I can't even think of a cereal I don't like. The closest is like, plain corn flakes? But the texture is still good even then so.

I fucks with all the milks. Soy milk, oat milk, skim milk, whole milk, etc.

• Winner x 1
  9. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

plain corn flakes are the bomb. gotta be brand name kellogs. add some sliced banana or blueberries in there, a little honey, maybe a little granola for extra crunch, that's a god tier cereal

edit: same with plain cheerios. good shit

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 1
  10. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Have we discussed fudge? If not, my take is that it's horrid. Bad texture and waaay too sweet. I've tried to like it, I just can't seem to get it.

• Agree x 1
  11. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

a definite sometimes food. maple walnut fudge is pretty good and my best friend's dad used to make amazing chocolate orange

• Informative x 1
  12. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

I love fudge but it is very easy for it to be too sweet. My mom makes chocolate peanut butter fudge that I can and have eaten myself sick on.

• Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. One of my former coworkers had a peanut butter fudge recipe that I liked a lot, and my dad makes a pretty good dark chocolate and black walnut fudge that isn't unbearably sweet, but otherwise I don't like it much at all. Seconding the "bad texture" and "waaay too sweet" complaints

Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    • Like x 1
  14. Aondeug

fudge fucks severely and is one of the few too sweet foods i love dearly. best texture.

• Like x 1
  15. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I echo the too sweet sentiment. I don't like it much for that reason

16. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

Specific fudges are great, if sweet enough to only be eaten in tiny bits. But boy howdy. Texture. It varies. It's a gamble.

I forget if this thread is food overall or food complaints, so I'm gonna pretend it's food overall and say:

Today I made baked pancakes (baked, in pan, like cake) with chocolate-covered blueberries added. Yum. The chocolate melted into the immediate batter like chips would, the blueberries softened but didn't add excess moisture like fresh blueberries sometimes do.

• Winner x 4
    • Agree x 2
  17. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

How do y'all feel about spam, and other potted meats? I wasn't always a huge fan, but my first foray into spam sushi taught me how good it can be. It pairs so well with the soft rice and seaweed. It's good with eggs, too!

Similar question, American cheese? It goes great in ramen imo

• Like x 1
  18. Aondeug

spam fucks severely and everyone owes it to themselves to try spam musubi unless they have a dietary restriction preventing them from eating spam.

and yeah american cheese fucks in ramen. it's something i learned from a korean friend years back. i also learned from said friend about these spam sandwich things they make there apparently? where you get like some plastic wrap in the can, then put in a lay of rice, some spam and then another layer of rice.

• Like x 2
  19. Aondeug

also spam, spam, spam eggs and spam is genuinely a good meal. especially with a hint of soy sauce. yes that is like 500x your daily allotment of sodium but fuck it i'm gonna die anyway.

• Like x 1
  20. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

never actually had spam, but american cheese is an integral part of a grilled cheese to me. with other cheeses, yes, but my boy needs to be there too.

• Agree x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice