Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Aondeug

Aondeug Cringe Annoying Ass Female Lobster

oh god same. my husband will be like "we can just get cheddar". IT IS NOT THE SAME.

• Agree x 3
  2. Loq

Loq rotating like a rotisserie chicknen

american can be PART cheddar but they melt SO DIFFERENTLY, they are not the same wtf

• Agree x 1
  3. Aondeug

he just hates american cheese so much that he ignores any differences it has and solely focus on the fact that they're both yellow

• Witnessed x 2
  4. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I think people hate American because they think of it as a cheese when to all intents and purposes, it's primarily a condiment.

5. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I thought that's what ez cheese was for? Or are they both condiments? Saying american is a condiment feels like saying chopped veggies is a condiment to me. American cheese can be eaten by itself just fine

• Agree x 1
  6. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

it kind of functions as a condiment in a sandwich though. you don't use american when you want substance, you use american when you want a sort of salty cheese paste to balance out the other ingredients, and an adhesive if it's melted

7. chthonicfatigue

chthonicfatigue Bitten by a radioactive trickster god

backing up vuatson with a fun fact: american cheese can't be sold as cheese under EU labelling laws due to its non-dairy ingredients hence the plethora of 'cheesY singles' or 'slices' for sale here, not a single supermarket can sell American "cheese" as you folks know it.

(Gouda slices are better melted in any recipe situation that calls for american cheese, ime, unless the recipe is specifically a cheap fastfood burger.)

• Like x 1
  8. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh, bonus round I just thought of: is there any difference between the American slices and good ol' Velveeta? I say yes, simply because I hate Velveeta and like American cheese because it's a real cheese; it is, it is, it is. Velveeta is just a log of gross congealed sauce

• Agree x 1
  9. Loq

velveeta has a weird plasticy taste to me every time I try it.

• Agree x 3
  10. LadyNighteyes

LadyNighteyes Wicked Witch of the Radiant Historia Fandom

When I visited Australia for a couple months, the grocery store that we shopped at had a horror that I think was basically American cheese but somehow worse that was, for some reason, labeled "Cheese Tasty." This memory haunts me.

Anyway I am not an American cheese fan but I do think there's one other thing where it's one of the better options: grilled cheese sandwiches. You probably want to throw in another type of cheese with a stronger flavor too, but the one thing American cheese does with the best is "melt into cheese glue."

• Agree x 5
  11. Aondeug

velveeta is its own weird beast. because of the weird plastic taste.

• Agree x 2
  12. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

How do y'all like your popcorn? Further, regular popped or kettle corn?

13. Slightly burnt. I prefer regular to kettle but both are good

(Hi the fact that "burned" is the only food preference of mine that my dad can consistently remember is EXTREMELY funny to me)

• Like x 1
  14. Emma

Emma Your resident resident

I like salty popcorn, and I have no idea what kettle corn is tbh

15. Artemis

Artemis i, an asexual moron

If I eat popcorn, it's usually for kettle corn.

Otherwise the feeling of it stuck in my teeth is abhorrent and overrides any flavour or other texture benefits.

• Agree x 2
  16. Aondeug

not big into kettle corn at all. also if i can i want that shit slathered in like. all the butter. and salt. that too.

• Agree x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. vuatson

vuatson [delurks]

I like it from the one theater in my hometown that uses real butter. otherwise, it's not worth picking it out of my teeth for a week

• Like x 2
  18. Loq

movie popcorn gotta be butter, but just for snacking purposes I'm partial to cheddar. the powdered stuff, not liquid. sweet popcorn isn't bad either, but caramel corn's usually a bit much for me; there's a local place that does a mean cinnamon sugar dusting I'm a sucker for.

19. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I forgot to say my own fave, and while I generally will eat any popcorn my favorites are usually spicy! Green chili being top of the list, but even just with some red pepper flakes it can be fabulous

• Informative x 1
  20. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

I don't understand the appeal of kiwi. It's gross and it's peel is an abomination against god and man

• Witnessed x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice