Food Fight: Mayo Discourse

Discussion in 'General Chatter' started by budgie, Jan 10, 2017.

1. chaoticArbiter

chaoticArbiter an actual shiny eevee (destroyer of worlds)

....I wanna eat it where do I get one

2. Ducks

Ducks 79 Plural Fowl Illuminates The Legendary

They're common in Australia (east coast mainly). My family love them.

3. chaoticArbiter

I AM GOING TO AUSTRALIA
    ....as soon as I get over my fear of the fact that it's filled with poisonous snakes and spiders.

4. Deresto

Deresto Foolish Mortal

Oh my god its adorable

• Like x 1
  5. Sethrial MacCoill

Sethrial MacCoill Attempts were made

A conundrum. I don't like potatoes. Mayo is evil. Potato salad is one of my favorite foods.

It must be the mustard.

• Like x 4
  6. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Ok but important question:

wholegrain mustard, y/n?

• Like x 3
  7. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

I like Polski Ogorki pickles, which i guess are garlic dill or something. Eat em with those pepperoni sticks and obtain All The Salt

Re: fruit: strobries... Give Me The Strawbs i love fresh strawberries. But i can't be bothered to buy them now because the storebought ones are more about looking Huge than actually tasting good.

Least fave: pomegranate, while okay as a flavouring, is so annoying to eat. My mom bougjt this big bag of mixed frozen fruit that was nice but it had pomegranate seeds! Which meant i had to carefully eat my oatmeal so i didn't choke or bite a seed, and pull seeds out of my mouth after scraping off the tiny tiny bit of actual fruit on them

I saw a video about making like, chocolate pomegranate bites which was just: put a tiny amount of melted chocolate in a cupcake pan or something. Dump in a spoonful of pom seeds, drizzle a weirdly small amount on top of that. Freeze them in the tray, take one out and realize you're going to be spitting out like half of this thing because it's 50 percent seeds

Edit:
    Wholegrain mustard is ok but sometimes its bad

• Like x 2
  8. Ducks

Wholegrain Y Dijon Y honey mustard Y

Basically all of them that aren't American mustard.

9. chaoticArbiter

but
    you eat the seeds?
    that's
    what you do with them

• Like x 5
  10. Ducks

Oh good I was wondering if I was doing it wrong. Because I just eat all the seeds. Cherry seeds, mandarin seeds, orange seeds, plum and lychee pips if they're small enough.

11. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

I spit out the seeds of pomegranates and I'm not changing.

• Like x 3
  12. chaoticArbiter

I don't usually eat cherry or plum seeds, just 'cause they're bigger than I'm comfortable swallowing--although I do make a habit of sucking on them until they are completely clean because there is FRUIT on that seed and DAMMIT I WILL EAT IT
    but I eat mandarin and orange seeds, and as a rule, with basically everyone I've known, the way you eat pomegranate is by ingesting the seed? it's just impractical to eat them otherwise....

• Like x 1
  13. budgie

budgie not actually a bird

Basically if I can chew it and it isn't bitter I'll happily eat the seed as well as the fruit. Besides, pomegranates are enough work without trying to seed them too.

• Like x 2
  14. Everett

Everett local rats so small, so tiny

...i was never informed...
    That still seems unpleasant to me, i'll leave the pomegranates for other people who will enjoy Seed Eating Time

• Like x 2
  15. chaoticArbiter

that's fair!

• Like x 2
  16. Saro

Saro Where is wizard hut

Oh, and about brains, I'm honestly not sure about the health risks from other types of brains! Given that mad cow/kuru are both prion diseases, it may depend on the particular prion and how it interacts with other proteins. If, say, a sheep protein doesn't really have a homolog in humans and the prions affect that sheep protein, they might not do anything to humans. If I remember correctly, scrapie (a sheep prion-caused disease) doesn't affect humans? I could be wrong.

This is all conjecture, I'm really not too familiar with prions and the diseases they cause. There's a pretty interesting book that talks about 4 of the main prion-caused diseases called The Family That Couldn't Sleep (or something) that's pretty good if you like medical nonfiction!

• Like x 6
  17. chaoticArbiter

oooh, sounds interesting!!
    unfortunately I am....super bad about reading or watching things with illnesses more severe than a cold in them :/ maybe someday.

18. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

They need to stop adding peppers to YOUR food. And add 'em to mine. Except for green bell peppers. Those are disgusting, especially raw.

• Like x 4
  19. swirlingflight

swirlingflight inane analysis and story spinning is my passion

/donates all peppers from my food as well

• Like x 2
  20. cleverThylacine

cleverThylacine cuddles for the weird and the fierce

I used to work in the same department (though obviously not in the same lab or in the same type of position) as the guy who discovered what causes prion diseases.

Prions cannot be destroyed by cooking and tend to infect nervous system tissue.

(We're not sure they're even alive, which is why things that kill viruses or bacteria are useless. They're malformed proteins that have a domino effect in the brain, changing the configuration of the proteins in brain tissue to something nonfunctional.)

They are not just found in cows. There's a big problem in Kentucky with people getting a prion disease from eating squirrel brains, which obviously do not come from the factory farm system people who think you should eat every part of an animal tend to blame for CJD ("mad cow"). Factory farming does not cause them. Feeding animals brains causes the meat (and not just the brains) to be infected. Mad cow was terrifying for a period of time because CJD has a very long incubation period and the entire animal was potentially infectious, not just the brain. Fortunately we no longer allow animals bred for human consumption to be fed brain tissue, even rendered.

You are free to do whatever you like, and I have no authority over you. But seriously? Don't eat brains. Prion diseases are quite rare, but also significantly horrible enough that I can't fathom taking that risk personally.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like x 8
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice